Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bears on the Kenai River

Default Brown Bears on the Kenai River

Out of curiosity...I was wondering how many brownies are allowed out of this section (15B I believe) and are they all special draw permits?

Saw hunters waiting for boaters and fishermen to clear the way before they took a young male brownie on Sunday. Although I wouldn't call that a "hunt", I figured they had every right to do it, or had a special permit to do it. I did not see the bear shot, just the hunters staked out and then multiple shots after we went up river, and no bear when we came back down. Word was it was shot.

Also, I thought there was some deal about it having to be so far from a public waterway or something, but apparently not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter and I've shot and killed things, but this didn't seem very sporting. Maybe it was the timing. Mid day with a river full of boats. I don't know...maybe it's that I enjoyed this bears personality and his daily rumpus with seagulls and salmon.

Thanks...Just looking for education for future reference on the distance from waterway and if it's a special draw.

This regulatory period Sept. 1'st to May 30'th it is open to everyone, no stated harvest limit, just register for the hunt online and go hunt. All of unit #7 and #15 (accept the refuge) is open.
    I agree not a class act. Last fall they shot (5) Five at the Russian River Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    Out of curiosity...I was wondering how many brownies are allowed out of this section (15B I believe) and are they all special draw permits?

Saw hunters waiting for boaters and fishermen to clear the way before they took a young male brownie on Sunday. Although I wouldn't call that a "hunt", I figured they had every right to do it, or had a special permit to do it. I did not see the bear shot, just the hunters staked out and then multiple shots after we went up river, and no bear when we came back down. Word was it was shot.

Also, I thought there was some deal about it having to be so far from a public waterway or something, but apparently not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter and I've shot and killed things, but this didn't seem very sporting. Maybe it was the timing. Mid day with a river full of boats. I don't know...maybe it's that I enjoyed this bears personality and his daily rumpus with seagulls and salmon.

Thanks...Just looking for education for future reference on the distance from waterway and if it's a special draw.
    What's not sporting about shooting an animal where you see it?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Other than many moons ago, up until this fall it has been a draw permit area only. Now it's a registration hunt because they finally realized there are too many bears. Buy your $25 locking tag then register either at the F&G office or online.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    This regulatory period Sept. 1'st to May 30'th it is open to everyone, no stated harvest limit, just register for the hunt online and go hunt. All of unit #7 and #15 (accept the refuge) is open.
    I agree not a class act. Last fall they shot (5) Five at the Russian River Falls.
    I don't believe that is correct but don't have the regs in front of me.. On top of that there are some special regs and boundries for the Kenai river

Would it have mattered if they shot a 70" bull moose standing on the banks on the Kenai? I doubt you'd say anything to that. As long as it was a legal kill, it doesn't really matter where it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Would it have mattered if they shot a 70" bull moose standing on the banks on the Kenai? I doubt you'd say anything to that. As long as it was a legal kill, it doesn't really matter where it happens.
    Homeradam it does matter and not to get back into this whole what's legal battle. Sometimes there are more things at stake then being legal. I personally would NOT shoot a bear on the Kenai in front of a group of tourists as that is a sure fire way of turning them against hunters. But at the same I do actually hunt the Kenai as well and if I am on a stalk and they pull up on me then I believe they need to respect my rights. To me its about balance and respect and my hunting especially with trophy animals such as brown bears is not about a need to kill, so to me personally its not worth the risk of making hunters look bad... It's a tough situation down there cause you gotta hunt where the bears are and sometimes that's where the people are..

Op to me it sounds like the hunters did the respectful thing and waited for folk to leave..

This is a registration hunt. The only restricted area that comes to mind is around the Russian River area. Facts are the season is open this time of year for a reason and virtually all brown bear on the KP are going to be chasing salmon right now. Good shoot from the sounds of it.

Look...I was just wondering if it's lawful (I thought there was a reg about distance from river) Also wanted to know if it went from special draw to regulatory. I hunt, I get it...I'm not starting a "save the bear" campaign.
    Last i knew it was a special draw and very limited. I've never seen of one taken in that stretch...obviously things have changed and management is needed, fair enough. Bear, moose, whatever...as long as it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    This is a registration hunt. The only restricted area that comes to mind is around the Russian River area. Facts are the season is open this time of year for a reason and virtually all brown bear on the KP are going to be chasing salmon right now. Good shoot from the sounds of it.
    I will have to look it up but doesn't the entire upper river have a not shoot zone of I believe a 1/4 mile from the river and iirc that's not printed in the adfg regs...
    Last edited by Bear; 09-03-2013 at 20:30. Reason: Bad wording

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Homeradam it does matter and not to get back into this whole what's legal battle. Sometimes there are more things at stake then being legal. I personally would NOT shoot a bear on the Kenai in front of a group of tourists as that is a sure fire way of turning them against hunters. But at the same I do actually hunt the Kenai as well and if I am on a stalk and they pull up on me then I believe they need to respect my rights. To me its about balance and respect and my hunting especially with trophy animals such as brown bears is not about a need to kill, so to me personally its not worth the risk of making hunters look bad... It's a tough situation down there cause you gotta hunt where the bears are and sometimes that's where the people are..

Op to me it sounds like the hunters did the respectful thing and waited for folk to leave..
    I agree, it's a very fine balance. To each their own with regards to hunting standards, but my thought about such an open and public hunt was the same... but I don't hunt brown bears, therefore it's a different light for me. I understand it has to be done and now I know it's become a registered hunt.
    We didn't see them until we were stopped to take pictures. They were kind enough to let us take our pictures and leave before the deed. For that, I'm grateful. They were certainly safe about it, again, I thought there was a distance from waterway issue.

I will have to look it up but doesn't the entire upper river have a not shoot zone of I believe a 1/4 mile from the river and iirc that's not printed in the adfg regs...
    Bear isn't that the same law that caused the ticket to go to the camo guys that shot the bear right by the road in front of the tourists down there a couple years back? Federal law? I believe back then state LEOs wanted to ticket the guy but couldn't find a reason and it hit the news which the Feds read and then visited the shooter to ticket him?

If I've got that right, it isn't tough to predict the next news item for this story.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Bear isn't that the same law that caused the ticket to go to the camo guys that shot the bear right by the road in front of the tourists down there a couple years back? Federal law? I believe back then state LEOs wanted to ticket the guy but couldn't find a reason and it hit the news which the Feds read and then visited the shooter to ticket him?

If I've got that right, it isn't tough to predict the next news item for this story.
    They got ticketed for shooting within 1/4 mile of the highway between the east refuge boundary and the east skilak lake rd junction

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

I seem to recall that but not really sure. Trying to find it now. I remember learning of it because I found a big bull moose in an area up there then found out I couldn't shoot him and I was shocked cause I never seen that rule in the regs..it was only the upper too.. The problem seems to be too many fish (pun intended) in that area...fed land, state land and such..each with thier own rules

I didn't mean to spit in your cornflakes Bear. The original post was pretty specific that the hunters waited for the fishermen to leave. So what's the big deal? In fact the original poster didnt even see the bear killed. If you read my post, I did say LEGAL kill. They killed it out of sight of anyone. Are you going to tell me that this is any different than Princess Cruises lines taking a bus full of tourists down the Denali Highway during caribou season? I stand by my original post that if it was a LEGAL kill, I have no problem with it. If you do, so be it. I respect your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I didn't mean to spit in your cornflakes Bear. The original post was pretty specific that the hunters waited for the fishermen to leave. So what's the big deal? In fact the original poster didnt even see the bear killed. If you read my post, I did say LEGAL kill. They killed it out of sight of anyone. Are you going to tell me that this is any different than Princess Cruises lines taking a bus full of tourists down the Denali Highway during caribou season? I stand by my original post that if it was a LEGAL kill, I have no problem with it. If you do, so be it. I respect your opinion.
    No worries man my cornflakes taste just fine and I respect your opinion as well just stating a different point of view... And for the record I do NOT have any issue with what those hunters did.. Quite the opposite in fact, I have a ton of respect for them..

The difference is with the tour bus on the Denali is that if they were pulled over snapping pics of caribou and you pulled up and shot the caribou, you would be legal but would you be right? MY opinion is simple and clearly stated I believe it to be about respect and yes it works both ways ...

No worries man my cornflakes taste just fine and I respect your opinion as well just stating a different point of view... And for the record I do NOT have any issue with what those hunters did.. Quite the opposite in fact, I have a ton of respect for them..

The difference is with the tour bus on the Denali is that if they were pulled over snapping pics of caribou and you pulled up and shot the caribou, you would be legal but would you be right? MY opinion is simple and clearly stated I believe it to be about respect and yes it works both ways ...
    NO that would not be legal, it's in the regs, it's called the hunter harrasment law. It protects both parties. If the bus full of tourists were there first, not legal to shoot until they are done. If you are bear hunting, like on Sunday on the kenai, they seen the guys steaked out, they-the OP-, could have been fined for interupting a hunt by taking photos and getting to close and scaring the bear away. I heard there were 3 legal shooters on the kenai, the 3 of us never headed to that spot, fed law says 1/4 mile off road to discharge a weapon, but its a state road, so who knows, its in fed land so we didn't even mess with it. The one was said to be a biggun too!

Just as an FYI, there is a designated hunt area map for the Kenai registration brown bear permit on the F&G website.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Look...I was just wondering if it's lawful (I thought there was a reg about distance from river) Also wanted to know if it went from special draw to regulatory. I hunt, I get it...I'm not starting a "save the bear" campaign.
    Last i knew it was a special draw and very limited. I've never seen of one taken in that stretch...obviously things have changed and management is needed, fair enough. Bear, moose, whatever...as long as it's legal.
    Well, yeah you've never seen one taken in that stretch. It's been locked up in draw permits with very specific boundaries until they finally caved and open a registration hunt this year because of the crappy moose numbers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A.) The use and discharge of a weapon for the purpose of
    lawful hunting or trapping is allowed in the Kenai
    River Special Management Area only on Skilak Lake and
    Kenai Lake, except as provided in (b) of this
    section.
    B.) A person may use and discharge a shotgun below Sk
    ilak Lake, for the purpose of lawful hunting or
    trapping, from September 1 to April 30 annually.
    C.) The discharge of any firearm, except
    as provided in (d) of this section
    , is prohibited within one-half mile
    of a developed facility or dwelling.
    D.) A person may not use and discharge a shotgun used for lawful hunting of waterfowl, under 5 AAC
    92.100 within one-quarter mile of a developed facility or dwelling

FYI here is ONE and I stress ONE layer of regulation which I BELIEVE (not sure) to be in effect on the Kenai River. There are many more. Good luck negotiating the regulatory maze...you'll probably need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast