Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal sheep

Default Legal sheep

Buddy and I were talking the other day. If a sheep is sealed/plugged, is it then deemed legal by all that look at it from there on out? We have wildly different interpretations for what constitutes 'legal', what some deem legal others don't and vise versa. Could a sheep that's sealed be over turned by another and deemed too small? I was talking to a bio the other day, he red tagged a sheep, and another said it was way legal and sealed it. The one making the original red tag call had 3x the experience of the other bio.

Is there somewhere on the books that states that once a sheep is sealed and plugged its a legal sheep for ever and ever? People make mistakes, and who's to say that at some point a sheep is sealed that clearly shouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    I was talking to a bio the other day, he red tagged a sheep, and another said it was way legal and sealed it. The one making the original red tag call had 3x the experience of the other bio.
    I don't know the rule, but I sure hate to hear that. Yet again another reason they need to come up with a better way of determining a legal ram. There should be absolutely no room for interpretation. Make it full proof.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yet again another reason they need to come up with a better way of determining a legal ram. There should be absolutely no room for interpretation. Make it full proof.....
    Pretty soon if there is enough outcry you will get what you ask for. Everything will become a draw, heavily restrict the number of tags and any ram will be a legal animal, problem solved!

My ram last year had this issue as well - the bio in Palmer did not even balk at whether he was legal (like me in the mtns.) , but some other bio walked in as she was drilling the plug and asked if he should notify the troopers?!!! My ram was aged at 8-9 yrs old and measured 33" (tight curl) with one side broomed... and this guy wanted to call me in? There is a serious issue in who gets to say what is and what is not legal.

We were told in sheep judging workshop that the more we learned about how horns grow and how to recognize the different inturpretations of full curl the less we would have to rely on the subjective statements of bios or techs. Sure worked when we got my sheep plugged.
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    We were told in sheep judging workshop that the more we learned about how horns grow and how to recognize the different inturpretations of full curl the less we would have to rely on the subjective statements of bios or techs. Sure worked when we got my sheep plugged.
    wes
    Where was this workshop held, and who conducted it?
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    wes
    I would love to sit in your seminar..It sure seems to be changing too...'I'm amazed what passes for a full curl now a days vs years past..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    'I'm amazed what passes for a full curl now a days vs years past..
    x2

It was at the U in Fairbanks last April during a guide meeting. Joe want gave the basic part but it was really more like a round table discussion. About 25 people there most were guides. They also had guide Ducan? Talk about moose. Lot of people made contributions.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Where was this workshop held, and who conducted it?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    x2
    x3............

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Pretty soon if there is enough outcry you will get what you ask for. Everything will become a draw, heavily restrict the number of tags and any ram will be a legal animal, problem solved!
    Not hardly.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    x3............
    X4.........

Joe Want also put on a seminar at Frontier Outfitters in Fairbanks on August 1st.

Interesting seminar... Well worth it. He has had most success stalking from below not above.

Being able to put hands on many different sets of horns was a great learning tool.

So, maybe my question wasn't clear?

Could a plugged, and sealed sheep be overturned years down the road by another officer?

We're at the any ram stage as it is. Asked the Anch F&G the other day how many red tags, 7 out of 100, and 2 warnings. *** is a warning???

Could a plugged, and sealed sheep be overturned years down the road by another officer?

We're at the any ram stage as it is. Asked the Anch F&G the other day how many red tags, 7 out of 100, and 2 warnings. *** is a warning???
    I would have to say they couldn't do it for long because horns dry and shrink. Seems to me once if left the office plugged its a done deal...

To tie it in with the warden thread, if you've done nothing wrong what do you have to be afraid of?

I personally can't imagine that anyone would have opportunity to measure my sheep years down the road.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    To tie it in with the warden thread, if you've done nothing wrong what do you have to be afraid of?

I personally can't imagine that anyone would have opportunity to measure my sheep years down the road.
    You'd be surprised to learn what Troopers can and can't do with regards to trophies in your possession, even years after the fact.

More of a question than anything. See lots of barely legal sheep getting sealed, and knowing that one bio could call it legal and another not... Wondering if its in the books as stating once plugged its forever legal. I can't find anything about it.

Once plugged and out the door you are for sure good to go and court will affrim it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No idea. Maybe a call to F&G is in order? If it happened to me I'd contest it in court for sure.

I did hear a story from this year where the wrong sheep was killed on a followup shot after the initial shot missed. It was clearly 7/8ths, so they called the troopers before they got out of the field. The first officer and two different guides counted 8 rings, but the "second opinion" officer that was also there only counted 6 and confiscated it.

Last I heard the hunter was trying to contest the count by getting a third opinion from a recognized sheep biologist. Apparently, an "expert" can at least unofficially overrule a trooper on some occasions?

I've just been letting marginal sheep walk so far. My success rate sucks, but it's better than the alternative. Besides, I only have so much wall space.

Yk

Default Legal sheep

You'd be surprised to learn what Troopers can and can't do with regards to trophies in your possession, even years after the fact.

More of a question than anything. See lots of barely legal sheep getting sealed, and knowing that one bio could call it legal and another not... Wondering if its in the books as stating once plugged its forever legal. I can't find anything about it.
    What sheep?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast