Thread: Bird Numbers Low Or Average?

Default Bird Numbers Low Or Average?

My spot south of Anchorage is by no mean a honey hole, but it seems this year the number of birds is far below normal. I average throughout the season about a 4 bird average. Limits somedays...zero on others.....a few here & there. I'm just not seeing the usual numbers in the area. Today I dropped 1 of 2 widgeon and then saw nothing (close or far) for the next two+ hours until a flight of 4 far in the distance. Ten minutes later a spoonie committed suicide over the decoys and that was it until I left at 10am.

What are you seeing in your area compared to years past? I think the late spring adersely affected local duck production.

The area I hunt, western cook inlet seemed to have a high density this year. More than normal i thought on the opener, I was done shooting by 8:30.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Nice looking dog. I think I've seen him before a time or two.
    Looks like a great opener for you.

I'd have to agree with him. My group had good numbers of birds as well.

Maybe it's just my isolated area. Maybe something has changed and the normal food sources have diminished.

Awesome Pic! Looks like you got into some specs and canadians again this year too!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Maybe it's just my isolated area. Maybe something has changed and the normal food sources have diminished.
    Its not just you. I usually walk out on the hay flats because I dont have a boat made for duck hunting and I can tell you that the spots I usually walk into and see decent numbers have been at 0 so far. I saw a few flying over head early this morning before opening bell and that was it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

There were a few geese and fewer cranes around Delta for the opener. Of the few geese taken, all were adults. I'm not sure what that means....the spring was very late so was there no hatch or are there young birds to come down yet?.....Currently there are no cranes or geese in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    There were a few geese and fewer cranes around Delta for the opener. Of the few geese taken, all were adults. I'm not sure what that means....the spring was very late so was there no hatch or are there young birds to come down yet?.....Currently there are no cranes or geese in the area.

Usually adult birds are on the leading edge of the migration.

Nice looking dog. I think I've seen him before a time or two.
    Yep looks like a familiar face. Looks like the winter training paid off, Congrats! Numbers of birds look to be average on the hayflats to me birds are out aways but they are there. 4 mallard hens, 1 pintail hen, 1 drake & 1 hen northern shoveler today out of cottonwood access.Attachment 73534
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Banned

Same goes for duck lake! Down!

BS,
    I usually hunt your general area & haven't made it out yet but heard the same thing. A lot more people than usual, a couple new blinds as well but overall numbers were down. Hopefully in a couple weeks with some start moving south the numbers will improve again.

Went out yesterday for the first time very few ducks out in fairbanks some but numbers down alot geese but Id be ****ed if I can find them on legal hunting grounds

We had a good two days opener and Monday. Things started out a bit slow but it was steady all day both days and we ended up with more ducks and geese than I wanted when we had to haul them back to the shack. Didn't see large flocks like last year but there were lots of birds-just seemed like the birds (ducks anyway) were coming in more in doubles and singles rather than large flocks. One thing I did notice is that we didn't see as many cranes as the last couple of years. No flocks but a few doubles.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I have been seeing more ducks than usual and more plummage so far. They are not all in the areas I hunt but overall it seems there are more birds around. As far as hunting goes looking at your other posts. I would look inside the conservation center I went by there a week or 2 ago and there was prolly over 500 birds in there. When we got a bunch of rain it had the buffalo enclosure flooded they were all loading up in there I assume eating some left over grains.