Thread: PWS Blackie Success

Default PWS Blackie Success

This is my 3rd year going out in aboat for PWS blackie and my first year of success. This time it was on a shorter trip due to work but it was sure a good one. Left on Thursday, May 17th for the Cabin in South Cullross and before we even got there I was off on a stalk to help a 13 year old get his first bear. The bear was gone before we got there but it sure got the blood pumping. We hunted all day and saw a couple but trolled into a bay and there mine was sitting in the sun on a rock. We stopped the boat and launched the dingy for 3 beaches away. I landed and worked a fast stalk down the rocks, low tide. When I got into position, 60 yards away I realized the wind was in my face and there was a waterfall right there so he could not hear me at all. I layed down and watched. He was drooped over a large rock eating barnicals. It wasn't a very good shot, all I could see was head, paws and the peak of his back. I had time to relax and take a couple deep breaths and wait. I realized this bear was not going to move and I would have to take the shot before another boat buzzed into the bay and scared him back. I put the cross hairs between the top of his back and the bottom of his skull and pulled the trigger of my 300 Win Mag. BANG, I watched him role over and let out 2 huge moans and he was done. Shot entered in the neck, crushed the shoulder blade and in vitals. When we reached the other shore we noticed that his den was 25 feet up the beach and he had just come out, no rubs and about 4 inchs of fresh think fur. He 2 1/2 years old and was about 5' 5" and measured at 15 1/2 inches. It was a great hunt with great weather. It doesnt' get any better than this. It is my first real satisfied big game kill here in Alaska and couldn't be more happier. Thanks for all the tips that I have received on this board.

Wink
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (86.4 KB, 143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (67.8 KB, 106 views)

Congratulations on the hunt, the stalk and the harvest. I love hunting over there but haven't done it in a couple years, I'll have to go next spring. It gets to you.