Thread: Pictures after the kill

Fairbanks, AK

Default Pictures after the kill

Was reading in outdoor life about these "big trophy hunters" that we all see on TV and alot of these guys were getting criticized about how they take pictures of there kills after the fact things like too much blood on the animal entry and exit wounds showing tongues hanging out and even one guy went on about how the hunter wasnt smiling in the picture all these things were characterized as unsportsmanlike was wondering your thoughts on this should you clean your animal up like this before pictures to make it "family friendly" or does it even matter

Out of respect for the animal and the sport, I try to limit the amount of blood, drag it away from where it pumped out, and idealy put the tongue back in the mouth. I do it for all of us as much as I do it for others that may see the picture....and I do it for myself cuz I'd rather the animal look like it did before I pulled the trigger because it was so much prettier then. Harder to eat, but prettier.

I don't be too bent about most photos, as long as they show respect for the animal. Pics hugging them, hunter's head inside mouth of bear or other such shenanigans don't turn me on. I liken it to how others talk about their quarry, I once had a gal from work I was supposed to take out moose hunting, for a few days before the hunt she consistently said things to the tune of "I'm so stressed, I can't wait to shoot bullwinkle in the face!".....I went alone on that trip, she likely still doesn't know what she did that I thought was wrong.

Anchorage, Alaska

I never thought about it as "family friendly" so much as showing respect to the animal. I think the Professional Hunters in Africa are the best examples of how it "should" be done. They go to a lot of trouble to clean up blood and to position the animal naturally. I've always appreciated that. After all, we've just taken the life of a creature, something we can never give back. To me that's a really big deal, and I appreciate anything we can do to show respect for that life. For me, respect like that is systemic in a good hunter, and impacts everything from his choice of weapon and other gear, to training, marksmanship, his conduct in the field, what happens at the kill site, meat and trophy care, getting it all out of the field to the dinner plate and even the way he reminisces about the hunt after the fact, around the campfire with other hunters.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Palmer, AK

My kids have been along on 4 harvests now and I have made is a point to teach then to respect the animal that have its life to us. No sitting on animals or any abuse at all. They are naturally tempted to play with it but were very receptive when I explained to them that it gave its life to feed us and we needed to respect that and ensure its dignity.

I do try an take photos that are respectful. I make it a point to try and keep the tongue in the mouth and minimize blood and guts. I do take pictures of the butchering process though but rarely show them publicly. Occasionally an animal is beat up in the process of harvesting. U shot a goat in 2009 and it was very bloody after a couple hundred yard roll. No way was I going to get it clean but I sure wasn't going to just not take pictures!! I will do what I can for optimum presentation but at the end of the day as a buddy says, "you have to break some eggs to make an omelet!"

. . I explained to them that it gave its life to feed us and we needed to respect that . . ."

To my mind, that is the only reason, short of self-defense, to kill an animal . .

“Eating with the fullest pleasure - pleasure, that is, that does not depend on ignorance - is perhaps the profoundest enactment of our connection with the world. In this pleasure we experience our dependence and our gratitude, for we are living in a mystery, from creatures we did not make and powers we cannot comprehend.”

—Wendell Berry