Thread: Who likes/dislikes Suzuki DF250? --- fourstroke

Default Who likes/dislikes Suzuki DF250? --- fourstroke

I have a line on a Suzuki DF250 fourstroke. Who has one? Who likes/dislikes the motor? Known issues to watch out for?

Thanks,
    Sobie2

My opinion the best motor made. I have two 225 Suzuki's with 2200 hours on them, they still run like their new.same gear cases,no mechanical problems. 11 gallons per hour per motor at 4200rpm's 30 knot cruise. 30 foot boat.

A Kayak runner has twin 250 Suzuki's and has the same luck with them.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Don't know about the 250, but I ran a DF 140 for years. Solid as a rock and never had the even slightest of problems with it.

I run twin DF250s. After 4 seasons of normal weekend-warrior wear, they seem to be near bullet proof.

I'm curious,has anyone ever had a bad experience with a four stroke Suzuki ? I've yet to hear of one.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I'm curious,has anyone ever had a bad experience with a four stroke Suzuki ? I've yet to hear of one.
    I have not heard from a Suzuki owner about problems, but I have heard from two different Suzuki/Honda dealers who prefer the Hondas over the Suzuki (this is for the 200-300 hp engines). I hear nothing bout rave reviews on the Suzuki 9.9-140 hp motors.

I don't know if its a plus or a minus but one shop told me that some charter guys were saying their fuel usage seemed to have increased, and it turned out that there was something wrong with the big Suzuki but the engine's ECU was correcting for the problem (by throwing more fuel at it) so the owner didn't realize there was anything going on.

But really I have not heard about a bad experience either.

Sobie2

Ok I have two Suzuki DF250s, one is complete but went for a swim, the other blew a powerhead. I am going to cobble the two together. Who in Anchorage has good experience with these engines (service) and which dealer carries a lot of parts both new and used for this engine? The complete one has 350 hours.

Sobie2

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Ok I have two Suzuki DF250s, one is complete but went for a swim, the other blew a powerhead. I am going to cobble the two together. Who in Anchorage has good experience with these engines (service) and which dealer carries a lot of parts both new and used for this engine? The complete one has 350 hours.

Sobie2
    I don't know if he's still around, but George at Anchorage Suzuki Marine always did an awesome job for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I don't know if he's still around, but George at Anchorage Suzuki Marine always did an awesome job for me.

I believe he is still there. Here is the contact info:

Anchorage Yamaha

Address: 3919 Spenard Rd, Anchorage, AK 99517
    Phone:(907) 243-8343
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I have had a lot of bad experiences with their 300's. Hate them!

I'm not brand bashing, either. If I were looking to re-power my 28-ft boat, the 'Zuki 225's would be at the the top of my list. I've had lots of great experiences with those particular engines.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I believe he is still there. Here is the contact info:

Anchorage Yamaha

Address: 3919 Spenard Rd, Anchorage, AK 99517
    Phone:(907) 243-8343
    George is still there & is your best bet for Suzuki parts & service. Try 243-4903 option #1.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Suzukis gaining very swift popularity here in Homer. Bayweld powers most of their new builds with them.
    When they first came out they had a plastic butterfly valve that would get brittle and break and get sucked into the motor; they changed that and warranted the motors that had the problem, unlike Honda who doesn't want to acknowledge the design flaw of of the 150-225 motors which are infamous for thrust bearing issues. a few boats & owners here have had the Honda experience
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I have a 300 on my boat. 4 seasons 600hrs and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    George is still there & is your best bet for Suzuki parts & service. Try 243-4903 option #1.

Maybe he has returned?? When I asked to speak to George mid last summer I was told he no longer worked there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Maybe he has returned?? When I asked to speak to George mid last summer I was told he no longer worked there.
    George was there last summer & was still there a week ago. Sure you're not talking about Bob? He left last summer & went to work for one of the native corporations.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

[QUOTE=akdeweyj;1371451]George was there last summer & was still there a week ago. Sure you're not talking about Bob? He left last summer & went to work for one of the native corporations.[/QUOT

I must have had them confused....sorry!

I just purchased a new boat powered with a Suzuki DF300AP and a DF9.9B outboards. Stopped in at the dealer in Soldotna and he mentioned that I should and see if the thermostats are cold water thermostats and I should change them if they are not. For the water here in Alaska is colder than in the lower 48. The reason behind this is with the regular thermostats they don't open up for the motor doesn't get warm enough and therefore more carbon build and rough idling happens.