Thread: Unit 20B Moose Luck?

Default Unit 20B Moose Luck?

This is my first time hunting for moose even though I've lived here for 15 years. Went up to Murphy Dome (all the way down to the river at the end of the road) and saw Nothing. Monday was out in Salcha and saw nothing again. Was curious to hear from other hunters in the area about their luck or lack thereof. No special spots need be revealed, but a general idea of area, what you've seen or taken would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

You're doing to much work. Going down Murphy dome to the river is too much moving. Find a hill top and sit there for a good 6 hours . Get there just before sun up and glass glass glass . Moose are spooked easily this time year especially that close to town because every Tom dick and Harry with a gun are out thinking they can hunt while they are probably on their 4 wheelers hauling butt up and down trails driving right past legal moose. I have seen it happen( and I have done it in my early years). Find somewhere that looks good and sit and glass. Moose will come you have to be patient . When i got here in 2004 I did the 4 wheeler method and didn't get jack crap then talked to some people that are giving the advice I am giving you. Every year after I went after moose I got one no more than 20 miles from town.

Thanks for the advice, that's the second time I've been given it and started to put it into practice yesterday. Unfortunately up on Murphy I wasn't the one driving. I wanted to sit in a good spot that we found but the driver insisted we keep moving to find one. I think I'm going to go out on my own and just camp one spot like you suggested.

Any luck on your part in the area this year?

This will be one of the only years I won't be able to get out and hunt unfortunately.

I always smile when I see someone with their boat piled high with gas racing up and down the river hoping to catch one on the bank. Much better results getting somewhere you can see a ways and waiting for them to come to you.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

What's the thoughts on calling like a cow or bull (challenge)? Also I've been wearing dark/neutral colored clothes not camo, is it really a must to wear camo or just a slight advantage? Not showering with really fragrant heavy soap, ect...?

Again this is my first time ever hunting anything. I have watched the "Is this moose legal" and field dressing video from adf&g so I realize I'm in for a lot of work with the meat be it that this is my first hunt.

Patience is the key.
    As we get closer to the end of the season, your calling efforts will produce results.
    Watch Love Thunder and Bull for more info on calling times and methods.
    Camo doesn't matter in my experience, stay downwind if possible, glass, glass, and more glassing.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Haemon View Post
    What's the thoughts on calling like a cow or bull (challenge)? Also I've been wearing dark/neutral colored clothes not camo, is it really a must to wear camo or just a slight advantage? Not showering with really fragrant heavy soap, ect...?

Again this is my first time ever hunting anything. I have watched the "Is this moose legal" and field dressing video from adf&g so I realize I'm in for a lot of work with the meat be it that this is my first hunt.
    If youre doing 20B its an any bull area so try to shoot a small one if its your first and your solo. I wouldnt pass on a big one by any means but the small forks arent too hard to handle solo. I usually hunt in Carharts and Flannel. Camo is for the birds and people who like to waste money.

I found what I believe to be a good spot today. Looks like there are tons of piles of moose droppings on top of droppings. Some of them are that seasonal change to browsing. So really runny and almost like bear droppings. Some of it was no more than a few days old if not the last day. Its the outskirts of a wood cutting area with a fork in the center with really nice tall spruce where I can see all entrances to the opening. It looks like someone had a 2x4 strung across two trees which would be an ideal location and height for hanging game bags.

I think I'll camp it out like you suggested, I'll make sure to post pictures once I get a chance to head out there again this week.