Thread: Kenai River Lower River sockeye estimate

Default Kenai River Lower River sockeye estimate

I wanted to start a new thread for a couple of reasons. First, the owner of this site was talking with me and he thought it would be a good idea for me to give some background information on my time as a fish biologist. He had some questions of his own and thought others could be helped by the information. I am pretty open so said yes. So here it goes- just as a caution the first rule of any science is to question authority so please feel free to question me anytime on the various subject matters.

I graduated with a B.S in Fisheries Science from the University of Washington.

I also graduated with a M.S in Fisheries Science from Louisiana State University.

I then joined Woodward Clyde Consultants for 8 years - working in over 30 States on environmental projects from a Texas oil pipeline to the Prudhoe Bay Waterflood Project. Other projects include nuclear power plants on the East Coast to Fossil Fuel Plant intake issues in the Great Lakes. I came to Alaska in 1976.

In 1980 I had a choice to make. Move to San Francisco and go up the corporate ladder and lots of money or stay in Alaska and work in my field. I choose to stay and joined ADF&G in 1980 as the Research Project Leader for Commercial Fisheries Division. I retired from ADF&G after 20 years in this position. While I had opportunities to move to Juneau and go up the advance path my choice of working with fish rather than politicians was still the driving force to stay. Projects under my supervision included the sockeye sonar counters, Offshore Test Fish program, stream surveys, genetic studies, density dependent studies of Kenai River sockeye salmon and Kasilof, setting of escapement goals for sockeye, and looking at production potential of Susitna River sockeye salmon. I aslo managed the fisheries one year when the Area Biologist was sick and of course helped manage in all the other years. It was a team effort. It was a great time and I enjoyed it and love ADF&G for the opportunity. Some have misunderstood my comments about ADF&G and I want to clear that up. I respect this organization. What I have an issue with is some specific projects and leadership that tends to forget the mission of ADF&G.

After retirement I went back to consulting for a few years and then retired for good. I still volunteer my time for educational purposes and of course have other interests besides fish.

I hope this helps. If anyone has a question feel free to PM me.

The second topic is to let people know that question the Kenai River sockeye sonar counter at RM 19 that the lower river RM14 for chinook has to collect all the same target data. So an estimate for this site is possible and if anyone wants it done they should contact the Commissioner, Directors, and Representatives to voice this concern. In 12 days over 1 million fish entered the river so one does not have to count all 43 days of operation. Just count the 12 days and see how close the two counts are. This should be fairly cost effective.

Great post Nerka!!

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Thanks Nerka.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Vancouver, Washington

First UW then LSU. So you're both a Dawg and a Cat........

Thumbs up Louisiana . . .

Have some very fond and pleasant memories of south Louisiana . . did a show once down on Bayou Lafourche in Cajun country . . some of the nicest, most fun-loving folks you'd ever care to meet.

They had a live, Cajun band in Sunday morning, and this is the first song they played . .