Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with barrel cots or tape on muzzle?

Default Shooting with barrel cots or tape on muzzle?

For folks that put tape over their muzzle (to keep out water and debris) do you shoot with the tape on? If so have you noticed any negative effects? I assume that it would have some effect on accuracy but not enough to be much of a factor when a quick shot was necessary. I was out hunting with athletic tape on my muzzle (I prefer electrical tape but didn't have any) and it occurred to me that it might not be smart due to the potential to spike chamber pressure. Then I looked online and found that Birchwood Casey makes barrel cots which they claim are safe to shoot with and don't significantly reduce accuracy. Has anyone done any range testing with these and if so what were the results?

I use electrical tape. Rem 700 30-06 and Win 70 .338 with a BOSS sub MOA with or without tape! I say that whatever effect there may be is too small for me to measure. I have noticed that around the BOSS that every one of the ports are open after a shot. Likewise, I examine my brass at the range and do not find any signs of pressure. I am not an expert but that is my opinion

Put some camo duct tape over the muzzle and call it good...I've done it for years, and it does not influence accuracy from my experience.

Tape your muzzle at the range and see if anything changes. I'm betting it doesn't

sent from my igloo

Yeah, I've done some tests with electrical tape and it doesn't appreciably change POI versus a plain muzzle. Bet the barrel cots would be the same story.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Taped barrel. Bou didn't notice at 278 yards.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I buy black nitrile gloves for miscellaneous garage duties. I've cut off the little finger and put it over the barrel to prevent debris from going down the tube in the dirt or water hunting environment. A little Vaseline smeared around the barrel and slide this thing on. The Vaseline holds it from slipping off prior to the shot.

I've shot a few rounds to see what would happen, no change in point of impact. I'm guessing the air being displaced in front of the bullet in the barrel blows the finger off prior to the bullet exiting the crown.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SAS-Safety...ndingMethod=rr

I've used electrical tape for years with no significant effect.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Electrical tape works like a champ!

Yep electrical tape works great. Shoot right through. You won't notice a thing with the tape but you will if your barrel is plugged... Cheap insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm guessing the air being displaced in front of the bullet in the barrel blows the finger off prior to the bullet exiting the crown.
    That's what the guy that taught me the method said too, he's a pretty smart civil engineer so I took his word for it, haven't had any troubles.

Yup. The tape breaks or pops free before the bullet gets there. I don't recall ever seeing a bullet hole in the tape in close to 40 years of using electrical tape. I've also shot a lot of groups with the first round taped, and never seen it to wander.

You can never go wrong with a Trojan.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    You can never go wrong with a Trojan.

Good to hear. I sure hope "Magnums" are ok.....

I've use electrical tape for years without a problem.

I split several inches on the end of a Rem 870 12ga bbl while duck hunting one day after sticking it in the mud unknowingly - I now use black tape on rifles often with no effect on accuracy I have ever seen!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Good to hear. I sure hope "Magnums" are ok.....I've use electrical tape for years without a problem.
    Isn't that what they're talking about with the Win Mags? :shrug: I'm a little intimidated by the guys shooting those Ultra Mags now...:blush:

I like electrical tape. Shot this speed goat buck @ 280 yds and POI was dead on POA

"You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Don't forget to put an extra wrap of tape on the barrel about an inch or two down from the muzzle to replace the tape after you've shot. Easier than carrying a roll with you and you won't forget it at the truck.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Don't forget to put an extra wrap of tape on the barrel about an inch or two down from the muzzle to replace the tape after you've shot. Easier than carrying a roll with you and you won't forget it at the truck.
    I always have a partial roll in my day pack to attach the tag to the animal or whatever else I might need it for.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I wrap black electrical tape around the top and bottom of my sling.....that way I always have it with me in case I need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast