Thread: Float Trip Report

Default Float Trip Report

Just got back from a float trip. Had a great float hunt. We caught a ton of nice dollies. Here is picture of one of the nice colorful ones we caught. This one was 28 inches. I'd like to say thanks to Danattherock for his suggestions on flies for sea run dollies. His advice was spot on. My son and I also shot a couple caribou. Mine was the small meat bull on the right. My son shot the nice bull on the left. It was his first caribou. He is 8 years old. I was a proud papa. The caribou were spread pretty thin. We were pretty fortunate to find these two. On the last day of the hunt, the caribou started to really show up in good numbers, but the snow and wind was coming down hard and my wife said it was time to pack up. Oh well. I was hoping to get her one also, but the cold proved too much for her this time. Maybe next year.

kUDO's to you and day boy! Sounds like you all had a very fine time. Memories!!!!!!! I would like to point out though your Bou look a little shy on substance. Maybe next time you get to harvest one with Fur. :-) Sorry just easy pickens. Great Job and Congrats.

WOW...another great experience in the wilds of Alaska.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    I would like to point out though your Bou look a little shy on substance. Maybe next time you get to harvest one with Fur. :-)
    Yeah I know he isn't very big. Like I mentioned before, I shot him for the meat, and not for the antlers. For the first few days of the hunt, we didn't see any caribou at all. So when that guy showed up, it didn't take us long to decide that we better get some meat in the boat. The last day of the hunt we saw some nice shooters, but my wife's hands and toes were getting numb. It was below freezing, there was snow on the ground, and the wind chill was close to zero. I didn't hold it against her. She was a trooper. She is small and petite and doesn't have an ounce of fat on her body. She can tolerate the hiking and the packing, but the cold was a little too much for her.

No No No No! Bou are fine sorry for the miss-understanding. Note the comment on hair / fur:-) Brother I am a meat hunter no antlers mounted in any way shape or form. I am in it for the eats. Congrats again eh.

Congrats on your trip! Hope to take my daughter on a trip like that in a few more years. What rifle/caliber did your son use?
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Very cool, Joe! Awesome! Excellent! I'll have to study up on what D@TR suggested for flies. Great season for you so far.... G
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Very nice BJ! Great pics!

Glad to hear you guys had an awesome trip. Beautiful char!

Quote Originally Posted by TOMCOD View Post
    Congrats on your trip! Hope to take my daughter on a trip like that in a few more years. What rifle/caliber did your son use?
    My son used my 243. Yeah it was a good trip. Bring warm clothes for your little girl. If I could do it over again I would bring more warm clothes for my wife and son. I thought what we brought was sufficient, but they weren't ready for the snow and cold in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    Very cool, Joe! Awesome! Excellent! I'll have to study up on what D@TR suggested for flies. Great season for you so far.... G
    Hey Glen. Send me an email and I will tell you what flies I was using. I got a lot more better pictures to send you as well. Blessings to you and yours.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Congrats, jack. Looks like a great trip, even if the caribou required a lot of effort.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith