Thread: No Hornady?

Default No Hornady?

I am planning an upcoming brown bear hunt and have spent hours reading advice on this website. I am reading about what bullets seem to be the favorite (I am shooting a 375H&H) and have come to a few conclusions. It seems to me the Swift A-Frame seems to be the favorite, followed by the Nosler Partition and the Barnes TSX. All three very good bullets and I don't think I could go wrong with any of them. What I am surprised about however, is the lack of mention on anything from Hornady. Is there a particular reason for it?

Thanks in advance...

I suspect that since the introduction of the Nosler Partition and it being deemed by so many as the "Gold Standard" for N.A big game and big bears, other quality bullets/manufacturers are often overlooked in conversation. I use and am fond of both with nothing but good, reliable results.

But if you do some searching in the hunting and shooting forums you will find plenty of mention of Hornady and others.

More fad and keyboard hunting than anything else, I think. I know several bear hunters and even a couple of guides who love them, but they got sick and tired of hearing from the premium pushers and just shut up. I reload 375 for one of them, and he'll take the 270 Hornady spire over most any bullet.

I shogt my first brown bear with plain-Jane Hornady SPs out a 338 WM with near perfect results. I've also personally killed brown bears with NABs, TTSXs, TSXs and have never thought, "Sure am glad I wasn't using a Hornady SP this time."
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I always used to keep a couple of loaded horandy round nose in my sling. I would use them for close up work in the brush on hunters bears. I normally use Barnes x but and thinking of changing to the DGX for my 416 weatherby

Many friends of mine reload nothing but Hornady and use them for everything.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I use them all, Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, Sierra, etc. They all work and some work better out of my gun than others...that said, I do have a soft spot in my heart for Nosler bullets, being from Oregon and all.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Hornady makes the DGS (dangerous game solid) which is just as good a solid as anyone makes I would think. The only lead core bullet that their bullet line does not have is a partition style bullet (A frame, Trophy bonded bear claw, etc). Such a bullet is only needed if you hit large heavy bones in say a Brown Bear or Cape Buff, and need to penetrate past the heavy bones and continue on into the vitals. This is something that the partition style lead core bullets do better than typical cup and core soft points. If you don't hit heavy bone, cup and core bullets are fine, probably even better as they open up more and create a larger wound channel. It's just that if you get charged by a large DG, you may get only one good shot, and if you hit large shoulder or leg bones, all you will do is knock one of its legs out of commission and not hit the vitals, and they have 3 legs left that they will soon use to kill you with. Hornady does make the GMX which is the equivalent of the TSX you mentioned. It is just as good and works well as a DG bullet. Just my 2 cents.

I think part of it is availability too, I don't recall swing any factory loaded DGS whereas partitions/accubonds/tsx are commonly available in a few manufacturers factory loads.

I was using hornady .300gr rn iny .375 during black bear baiting season.

Quote Originally Posted by cessna308 View Post
    Hornady makes the DGS (dangerous game solid) which is just as good a solid as anyone makes I would think. The only lead core bullet that their bullet line does not have is a partition style bullet (A frame, Trophy bonded bear claw, etc). Such a bullet is only needed if you hit large heavy bones in say a Brown Bear or Cape Buff, and need to penetrate past the heavy bones and continue on into the vitals. This is something that the partition style lead core bullets do better than typical cup and core soft points. If you don't hit heavy bone, cup and core bullets are fine, probably even better as they open up more and create a larger wound channel. It's just that if you get charged by a large DG, you may get only one good shot, and if you hit large shoulder or leg bones, all you will do is knock one of its legs out of commission and not hit the vitals, and they have 3 legs left that they will soon use to kill you with. Hornady does make the GMX which is the equivalent of the TSX you mentioned. It is just as good and works well as a DG bullet. Just my 2 cents.
    Personally I would never use a solid on a brown bear. They are thin skinned. Solids are better suited for the African species that are thicker skinned... You want an expanding bullet on bears such as the "DGX" or tsx or partitions

I've used the Hornady 270 and 300gr. bullets in my .375 Ruger. I like the 300gr RN but I think it's been replaced by the slightly flat nosed DGX. That flat nose may make feeding problematic in some rifles but I'd think the performance would be just as good.

Hornady is fine at those speeds...not a lot of panache but who cares? They work.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I would be tempted to use one of these on big bears or any dangerous game. Flat frontals cause more cavitation/permanent wound channel than rounded mushroom frontals.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/03fn.html
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Another thing about Hornady is that they have temporarily discontinued the Interbonds at least in the 225 grain 338 flavor. I looked around for quite a while and only could find interlocks and sst bullets. I wanted to buy a bunch of interbonds for reloading moose/bear hunting ammo...guess I'll stick with partitions...but OUCH$$$$$$...hard for me to shell out almost a dollar per bullet for noslers....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Another thing about Hornady is that they have temporarily discontinued the Interbonds at least in the 225 grain 338 flavor. I looked around for quite a while and only could find interlocks and sst bullets. I wanted to buy a bunch of interbonds for reloading moose/bear hunting ammo...guess I'll stick with partitions...but OUCH$$$$$$...hard for me to shell out almost a dollar per bullet for noslers....
    I have not used the Interbonds, but I have used the Interlocks in 225grn .338WM on moose and caribou with excellent results-not that caribou require anything special, though. I would not feel under capacity for a bear, I just would "prefer" to have a Partition at the ready.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the interlocks 338. They are alot cheaper than most other hunting bullets, except maybe the speer deep curls, and the interlocks shoot really well out of my rifles...

I hear you on the bear, but even so, I shot a 7' boar a couple of years ago with partitions and I was impressed with how much it took to lay that little bear down to rest for good. I filed it under the "every bear is different" theory.

Don't overlook the Speer soft point Hot-Cor. They're pretty cheap and perform very well in my 416.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6