Thread: RG 480 kodiak goat reg - 2 goat limit...Any stipulations?

Default RG 480 kodiak goat reg - 2 goat limit...Any stipulations?

So we're leaving tomorrow morning for Kodiak for an archery goat hunt. I was told by some that with the new 2 goat limit that they had to be taken on separate hunts. But then I printed my reg permit out and it simply says if taking a second goat, you must have a second permit. I really didn't consider even the thought of taking a second goat on this hunt till it printed 2 tags. Then I thought, well I guess if we got the opportunity...

So does anyone know if there are any stipulations to taking a second goat on this hunt? I tried calling fish and game but then it donned on me that it's a holiday today, no wonder they didn't answer! Ha Ha!

The south end has tons of goats, so they are trying to make it more appealing to hunters to pay all that money to fly out that far. Only thing I heard, recommended by the bio in kodiak my buddy talked too, was that you have to haul it back to camp before you shoot another. Not sure of the bio's name, but he also told my buddy it would say for sure on the tag or in the new regs once out. Them goats can be heavy! Even a large nanny that's solo, they are meaty critters with heavy hides, especially when it started raining and sleeting on us last fall in a draw area tho! Hate to be on the mtn and have 4 big billies down!

But it does give ya an opportunity to shoot one for meat and then go for a bigger one or or vise versa or different methods of weapons! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    But it does give ya an opportunity to shoot one for meat
    Hmmmm.....that's interesting. I never thought of that before. Has anybody here ever killed a real small/young billy? If so how was the meat? It's been years since I've had goat meat. But despite it being pretty tough, I remember it having pretty good flavor. I could imagine a real young billy being pretty darn good...???

Ooops....Sorry for the hi-jack. My mind wanders quite often.....lol

Good Luck on a bow killed goat...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Here is the hunt information/conditions for RG480; http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=13517 . So, if you want the opportunity at taking two goats, carry two permits.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmm.....that's interesting. I never thought of that before. Has anybody here ever killed a real small/young billy? If so how was the meat? It's been years since I've had goat meat. But despite it being pretty tough, I remember it having pretty good flavor. I could imagine a real young billy being pretty darn good...???

My buddy killed a monster nanny last year, it was not tough, just like any other steak from what I remember! It def had good flavor. Gotta eat game meat a little bloody, ohhhhhh much better flavor and more tender!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    My buddy killed a monster nanny last year, it was not tough, just like any other steak from what I remember! It def had good flavor. Gotta eat game meat a little bloody, ohhhhhh much better flavor and more tender!
    I always like my game meat medium rare. That's why it kills me to have to cook blackie to the point that it's overdone.....at least to me anyway.

Again.....sorry about the hijack.....I'll shut up now......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    So we're leaving tomorrow morning for Kodiak for an archery goat hunt. I was told by some that with the new 2 goat limit that they had to be taken on separate hunts. But then I printed my reg permit out and it simply says if taking a second goat, you must have a second permit. I really didn't consider even the thought of taking a second goat on this hunt till it printed 2 tags. Then I thought, well I guess if we got the opportunity...

So does anyone know if there are any stipulations to taking a second goat on this hunt? I tried calling fish and game but then it donned on me that it's a holiday today, no wonder they didn't answer! Ha Ha!
    The regs look pretty clear on this. No trickery. If you printed off your own tag then it spit out two of them. I would make sure they are used in order.

I am leaving 10/5 for this hunt. I bought my license, and tag online. I hope to shoot a mature billy, when I printed my permit it spit out two of them, when I got my stuff in the mail I got one locking tag, I really had not thought about going for 2, so not sure how the regs read as far as 2 locking tags? I will be checking with my outfitter, but thought I would post. Good luck on the bow hunt Mossy.

SLA...the difference for you would be you'd have to pay for the second locking tag as a non-res. But it says NR's can get two.

Thanks, pretty much what I thought, and will talk over w outfitter, and decide if I think I should get another, will be happy just to share the time on the mountains with my son, saw goats everyday last year on my bear hunt, just ran out of days, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

I like to get after the younger billies these days. They tend to have a better quality meat, be a little easier on the back and knees. I have taken several goats over the years including two that were 9+ years. They were stringy, tough, and incredibly difficult even with two guys. Look great on the wall, but pretty much had to burger the entire animal. If you can find one that is mature, 3.5-6 years, it will have substantially better quality meat. Also, an older nanny past her breeding right will be a good eater. Even a 3.5 year old billy is a substantial animal, and if done right, should ride well over 100lbs if not 130 on your back down the hill.

Just the boned out meat from my billy (I think 4.5 years old) was 123 pounds - without cape and head. It is the best eating game animal I have ever eaten - no "gamey" flavor whatsoever.