Thread: Kenai Canyon trip - 18 foot raft w/small outboard

Default Kenai Canyon trip - 18 foot raft w/small outboard

Folks,

Thanks for the tips on shuttle service earlier this week. Worked out great. Did the float from Cooper to Jim's last Friday in the new 18 foot raft. Fifth trip on the boat - but first time on the Kenai and handled better than expected.

Am planning on doing the same trip extended beyond Jim's Landing through the Canyon to take out at Upper Skilak launch and campground. I understand the Canyon is narrower and a little more technical than the few Upper rapids and that Skilak can become dangerous quickly depending on weather. I've watched a few video of the Canyon but have never been through the Canyon myself.

Two question if folks have time to respond. Any updates on conditions or particular hazards through the Canyon? Do folks taking a small outboard on a big raft for this trip keep the motors on the stern mount during the whole trip (lifted and strapped of course) - or take the outboard off and stow it when going through the rapids? I'm talking 58 pounds 6 h.p. Tohatsu extra long shaft. Many thanks.

I've made the decision to go the safer route and leave the motor off until reaching Skilak lake.

Leave the outboard on and chain it to the transom. You'll be fine. The outboard must be a four-stroke, by the way.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The outboard must be a four-stroke, by the way.

Mike
    Even if you are only using it to cross skilak? I've still never done the canyon, we were supposed to last month but the weather didn't cooperate with little kids.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Even if you are only using it to cross skilak? I've still never done the canyon, we were supposed to last month but the weather didn't cooperate with little kids.
    Yepper. It may have been that way for a while, but I just came into the info this summer. Applies to Kenai Lake too. They're trying to clean up the Kenai River.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Leave the outboard on and chain it to the transom. You'll be fine. The outboard must be a four-stroke, by the way.

Mike
    Or a 2-stroke DFI (Direct Fuel Injection)
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

So, Yukon77, did you ever run the canyon? What was your impression? I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but haven't got there yet. It's got some sort of scary stigma...but I'm wondering if it's warranted??? Any issues?

The canyon is not a problem, with a bit of skill and decent gear-- The lake is another baby!!
    Just my thoughts.
    Goo

Like Goo said, if you have decent gear and some rafting/river reading skills the canyon isn't that bad. The lake can get a bit squirrely... Your 6hp should be big enough. I have a 3.5 on my 16ft cat and ran through twice as much fuel as I figured one time. The wind can be a problem. So in short, bring extra gas!

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnn View Post
    So, Yukon77, did you ever run the canyon? What was your impression? I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but haven't got there yet. It's got some sort of scary stigma...but I'm wondering if it's warranted??? Any issues?
    No, I did not run the canyon with the motor - only because after initial testing late last year, I decided I was not satisfied with the custom motor mount that I got with the raft. I've since built my own motor mount attached to the rowing frame and am hoping to test this coming weekend - hopefully Finger Lake if I can get there before they close on the 15th for the rest of the season. Getting a suitable trailer for an 18 1/2 foot raft has been more of a chore than I suspected so its still a roll your own ordeal.