Thread: Two Vets Need help Goat/Deer DG478 Kodiak South Road System

Default Two Vets Need help Goat/Deer DG478 Kodiak South Road System

Ok guys I have DG478, my buddy is coming to help and be my partner but I'm 90% disabled, he is 90% is there anyone out there who will give us information or a hand? We are residents of AK, hunted areas 14, 20, 26 this is our first trip to Kodiak. He will be here 5-9 SEP 13. I am working here for a few more weeks. My number is 631-eighteighteightseven.

A litle info on type of disability would be helpful as to whats really needed.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have restriction on back packs, I am out of the army due to bad neck/back if I get around my waist I'm OK. My buddy is a little slow due to a past heart attack overseas in 2006. We chase and still hunt on flat land but are unsure if we can do this alone. Other than information we are bound and determined to do it by ourselves but it would be foolish not to have someone to call if we have trouble. I have a "Spot" but we know nothing of the area except what I saw driving down the road. I have talked to Kodiak Fish and Game in person I know where I would like to get but I'm not sure if we can get there. We are not looking for a great trophy but just getting a legal goat and/or deer. We are slow going but plan to spike on a mountain if necessary, if we need to. I guess we need information more than anything. His tag is Road Apples here on the site, He got his first bear this year I got my first moose in 2012. We do the best we can on our own he had to talk long and hard to get me to post. I am not used to asking for help. It is a short coming of mine but it was the way I was raised in Nebraska, don't ask anyone else to do it for you. We are reasonably mobile but have our limitations which we know, when we say we're done ,we're done. We both have families and there is no animal worth dying for. I want to watch my kids get married.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    I have restriction on back packs, I am out of the army due to bad neck/back if I get around my waist I'm OK. My buddy is a little slow due to a past heart attack overseas in 2006. We chase and still hunt on flat land but are unsure if we can do this alone. Other than information we are bound and determined to do it by ourselves but it would be foolish not to have someone to call if we have trouble. I have a "Spot" but we know nothing of the area except what I saw driving down the road. I have talked to Kodiak Fish and Game in person I know where I would like to get but I'm not sure if we can get there. We are not looking for a great trophy but just getting a legal goat and/or deer. We are slow going but plan to spike on a mountain if necessary, if we need to. I guess we need information more than anything. His tag is Road Apples here on the site, He got his first bear this year I got my first moose in 2012. We do the best we can on our own he had to talk long and hard to get me to post. I am not used to asking for help. It is a short coming of mine but it was the way I was raised in Nebraska, don't ask anyone else to do it for you. We are reasonably mobile but have our limitations which we know, when we say we're done ,we're done. We both have families and there is no animal worth dying for. I want to watch my kids get married.
    We are definitely not out to attend a footrace, or to try to imitate Coyote falling of the cliff after Roadrunner gets him again...

Well good on you both still getting out despite the extra struggles. Thank you both for your service. I can't help you on Kodiak but I'd be pretty sure someone on here can; the trouble is the late notice and timing. It's quite possible the people that would and could best help you are afield right now. But don't give up; someone will show up I bet.

Consider posting up a picture or two and a paragraph or two here, after your hunt. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Please forgive me if my words offend, as that is not my intention, but you don't seem to be currently qualified for the tag in which you drew. Not physically or logistically. I would hate for someone to help you out and God forbid, a heart attack or worse should occur. Regardless of what you end up doing, good luck.

I can see why you say that, but if we quit what is left. We know our limitations, and as I said we know when to stop. You are right is not the tag I ment to get, it was accident but it happened for a reason and I will not get a tag and at not lest try. To many people put in for this tag for me not to give it my best..

What ever you do don't give up. I've got 130% through VA and still get alot done.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    What ever you do don't give up. I've got 130% through VA and still get a lot done.
    Technically, you can't be disabled more than 100% or you would be dead, so your 130% must be some sort of government definition?

I can see why you say that, but if we quit what is left. We know our limitations, and as I said we know when to stop. You are right is not the tag I ment to get, it was accident but it happened for a reason and I will not get a tag and at not lest try. To many people put in for this tag for me not to give it my best..
    Don't give up then. Someone on here might be able to give some sort of assistance.

Sorry to hear about your hunt, if I didn't have a hunt planned sounds like a fun time to help out a fellow hunter.

I wish I could help but with a baby on the way, but my wife has officially grounded me. I couldn't even help my brother recover his goat yesterday. Having the south road system tag, I'm sure John Crye told you to head up into the mountains around summit lake? If that is the case, most people atv in but the trail there is excellent. ITN covered the trail in geomat so it is easy walking or atving. The only tough spot would be the first river crossing which would be about the only time hipboots/waders would come in hand.

It might not hurt to check out Kodiak Backcountry Adventures. Jason Bunch is a road system goat guide and he may know a teenager who would be willing to help you guys out for a small fee.