Thread: Looking for remote strips...

Default Looking for remote strips...

I'm new to this forum and a rookie when it comes to living in Alaska. I've been in Fairbanks for 2 years with my 73' Citabria Champ and know the local area good enough. I'm looking for some good remote strips with camping sites within 100-300mi of Fairbanks area. I have floats for the champ as well, so water access is good! Any leads on good hiking and camping spots that can get me away from Fairbanks and allow me to enjoy myself?

Anyone have cabins that they would rent out?

Thanks guys!

I don't know what engine you are running or what your limitations are as far as performance goes....most people just land on gravel bars or mountain ridges...and throw a tent out...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I don't know what engine you are running or what your limitations are as far as performance goes....most people just land on gravel bars or mountain ridges...and throw a tent out...
    O-320 - 150horses. I don't know of any good gravel bars, any tips? Gas is way too expensive to go find one that's far from Fairbanks.

we used to go to van curlers mine with my 7ECA and a buddy in his t-cart. its on the middle fork of the chena river I believe. take your 4-wt for the grayling. It's plenty big, but the grass can grow real tall if I remember right.

Not an Alaskan, but I have been to most of these and overnighted at several. They are very handy, and a good starting point for someone just venturing out. You guys are fortunate to have such resources available to you.

Take care, Rob
    http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisi...ap-color-2.pdf

Thanks Rob!

I flew up last summer (2012) and visited several places that were nice. Amazingly, both Fairbanks and Merrill field in Los Anchorage have camping spaces for aircraft. Merrill will have nice restrooms for cleaning up, etc, which is very desirable. As for remote, I only made it to Mt Mckinley, Homer, Seldovia, before the weather forced a return home. At Homer, while you can't camp at the airport, it is a short walk (1 mile about)or bike ride to the Homer spit where there are several nice places for camping right on the salt water with a nice view of the bay. I was headed to Port Alsworth and Lake Clark, but weather set in for several days and I had to postpone that part of Alaska until next trip. Seldovia would be a nice place to camp, as you can fish for Kings in the salt a short distance from the airport (1/2 mile?), or hike up the streams for some trout.

Regards,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by cessna308 View Post
    I flew up last summer (2012) and visited several places that were nice. Amazingly, both Fairbanks and Merrill field in Los Anchorage have camping spaces for aircraft. Merrill will have nice restrooms for cleaning up, etc, which is very desirable. As for remote, I only made it to Mt Mckinley, Homer, Seldovia, before the weather forced a return home. At Homer, while you can't camp at the airport, it is a short walk (1 mile about)or bike ride to the Homer spit where there are several nice places for camping right on the salt water with a nice view of the bay. I was headed to Port Alsworth and Lake Clark, but weather set in for several days and I had to postpone that part of Alaska until next trip. Seldovia would be a nice place to camp, as you can fish for Kings in the salt a short distance from the airport (1/2 mile?), or hike up the streams for some trout.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Thanks Bruce.. Are you coming back up to Alaska the finish it off next summer? You have yourself a wingman here if you're flying up past Fairbanks...

Google Earth is your friend. If you take a careful look all around the state you can find many remote strips.