Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you do on the opener?

Default How did you do on the opener?

For those of us who had to work on this sacred day and couldnt hunt. Lets hear some reports and pics.

I went to creamers field wildlife refuge and got 5 in about three hours. I went with a buddy from work who has ADHD or something and couldn't stop making noise or I'm sure it would have been more/faster. Overall, I'm pretty happy with day 1.

I was one short of a limit. Our group of 6 hunters took 24 birds. Great shoot. Almost too crowded though.

My day was screwed from the beginning. I was slow getting out of the house this morning, not on the road until 5, which would have been ok if things have gone well, but put things in a kinda rush. Then, after getting launched, etc on the Knik, about half way out was flagged down by a guy flashing his flashlight 1000/second at me. Well I went over and found out that his motor broke down the evening before and he said he was hypothermic and had spend the night in his boat in the rain. (ive dont that before, about 3 years ago I believe, opening day also). He wanted a tow back to the launch. He had a boat and a canoe he was towing. His boats were anchored, so I told him to hop in with his dog, and once they were in and settled, gave them a ride back to the launch. Didn't get to my spot and set up and gun loaded unto 7:30, missed the big shootout for the first hour or so. After that it was nice, enjoyed the rainless morning, shot a few ducks, knocked down 5, could not retrieve 2, so came home with 3. I was alone and had a lot of duckies sneak up behind me. Even had a can land in the deks without me seeing it. On the way back there were a couple guys trying to drag in the 2 abandoned boats with a underpowered jon, I ended up taking them both in for the hypothermic guy. Still I enjoyed the opening day, while the ducks got pretty shot up and were buzzing by at 90 mph, later in the morning I did get some coming in, and look forward to that this fall. Bud
    Wasilla

Well we did very well this morning considering everything that went on. We arrived at our spot at 1am and had gear set and blinds up by around 230am. we had high hopes from scouting earlier this week, but once the sun came up it was apparent most of the birds we had seen had moved on.(we saw a ton of full plumage birds on thursday and friday). the place we were at started filling up with other hunters around 4am.(it was very packed by around 6am) as usual we saw a bunch of skybusting and had a large group of folks set up less than 150 yards from us right at legal shooting light. they were not very ethical or responsible hunters to say the least.
    Our morning started very slow but we had our limits by around 9am (mallards, pintails, widgeon, green and blue wing teal, gadwalls and of corse a bootlip). The high point for me was getting my one year old CBR in a duck hunt for the first time. 6 months ago he did not know what sit meant and he nailed every bird i sent him after including several cripples in tall cover. over all he recovered all 15 birds he was sent after, my gunner fetched his first one himself. I could not have been prouder of my dog and can honestly say something that 1 year ago i never would have believed. I took more joy, excitment, and fulfillment out of that dog today than any bird i have ever shot. We functioned as a flawless team and i will remember forever Timbers first duck hunt. To see the passion and focus in his eyes today made ever hour and dollar spent training the last 6 months the best investment i have ever made. I don't know how i got along with out a dog for so many years.
    I had planned on heading out for day 2 but after seeing him not even twitch since we got home and how sore i am, we will take the second off from hunting to rest, recoup and revile in what was the first day of many to come in the duck blind together.

Going out tomorrow.. My opener will be an afternoon with one if my daughters.. Good times ahead.. Really a test run for boat and gear.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Very slow in Delta. A few geese working one field that had a load of hunters. Very few cranes around.

good threads, as I'm stuck at work as well, keep them coming and throw some pics in as well, good job akblackdog helping people out.

I went to Maud lake. Set up and waited and waited. Only saw made 3/4 flyers and one group of 5 flying.
    Other then that it was did.
    i did get one blue wing. Still learning this lake.

ill head back for an evening hunt.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Had more moose then ducks in m decoys
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

4 guys..32 ducks

How bout some pictures. I still got two more days to wait

Sent while hiding from the boss

Banned

Seems you like dogs more than ducks, Was that you yelling at the green dog and blowing that dam whistle all morn?

image.jpg Opener day!

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Well we did very well this morning considering everything that went on. We arrived at our spot at 1am and had gear set and blinds up by around 230am. we had high hopes from scouting earlier this week, but once the sun came up it was apparent most of the birds we had seen had moved on.(we saw a ton of full plumage birds on thursday and friday). the place we were at started filling up with other hunters around 4am.(it was very packed by around 6am) as usual we saw a bunch of skybusting and had a large group of folks set up less than 150 yards from us right at legal shooting light. they were not very ethical or responsible hunters to say the least.
    Our morning started very slow but we had our limits by around 9am (mallards, pintails, widgeon, green and blue wing teal, gadwalls and of corse a bootlip). The high point for me was getting my one year old CBR in a duck hunt for the first time. 6 months ago he did not know what sit meant and he nailed every bird i sent him after including several cripples in tall cover. over all he recovered all 15 birds he was sent after, my gunner fetched his first one himself. I could not have been prouder of my dog and can honestly say something that 1 year ago i never would have believed. I took more joy, excitment, and fulfillment out of that dog today than any bird i have ever shot. We functioned as a flawless team and i will remember forever Timbers first duck hunt. To see the passion and focus in his eyes today made ever hour and dollar spent training the last 6 months the best investment i have ever made. I don't know how i got along with out a dog for so many years.
    I had planned on heading out for day 2 but after seeing him not even twitch since we got home and how sore i am, we will take the second off from hunting to rest, recoup and revile in what was the first day of many to come in the duck blind together.
    Click, I agree with you. I think I would quit duck hunting if I could not take my dog with me, working and handling a trained dog brings a great deal of pleasure to the sport. I really need to spend much more time in the off season with the training, my dog has a long ways to go to be doing a good job for me. Bud
    Wasilla

Two days, three hunters and Ruby. We came home in some nasty stuff last night and it was great to be back on the ground (or water actually). Had a slow start on opening day but it picked up and was fairly steady for two days. Ended up with six geese (5 Specks and 1 Canada) and 42 ducks-mostly mallards but a few pintails and I actually broke down and took a couple of teal at the end of the day yesterday. I watch a coyotee trot towards Ruby and me for about 200 yard until he was about 10 yards away and then finally got a whiff of us and hightailed it back from where he came. Good times, good food and great memories. A bit sore from all the hauling but already planning the next trip.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post

Tons of full plumage birds? Flawless 1 year old retriever?

I'm not trying to sound rude, but is your post serious or a joke?

Agree.. Full plumage?? Don't think so.. LoL, sounds like they had a good time..

I saw plenty sporting DC gear and faces all blackened with camo.. To each their own I reckon..

Always willing to help.. But man.. Where do we start these days..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Banned

It's real, I saw it all on the History Channel!!! It's a program called "Midnight Duck Men shooting coots"

Daughter, wife and I found a few opening morning. Our lab will be 13 in Jan, so the hunt was more about getting him out.. having fun, taking pics and videos of him retrieveing as not sure how many more hunts or years he has left.. He performed flawless though. Slower than usual as expected.. but he went and got em all.. delivered to hand. He did seem more interested at times as to what snacks we had in the cooler though.. Day 2 we all slept in..

1000361_10202015257522037_1581704656_n.jpg1238912_10151619945341586_1334050107_n.jpg
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast