Thread: Ranger XP 900

Question Ranger XP 900

Does anybody have one of these or any experience with one? I'm thinking of buying a side x side and starting to look around at different models/brands. I was thinking about the midsize 800 but for less than 2" difference I might as well get the full size. Thanks for any info in advance.

I picked up a Ranger 900 XP this spring and love it! I have driven Ranger 800's around quite a bit but decided to get the 900 instead despite the price difference. The 900 is a very different machine than the 800's and one of the biggest advantages is they are so much quieter than an 800. My friend has an 800 and we go riding all the time. He (and others) always comment on how much quieter the 900 is than the 800. The engine is also a beast. I love the low end torque and the ride is very smooth. I was a little hesitant to go with a new model that has not been through the wringer yet, but I have not had a single issue. If you get the 900, you will not be disappointed. IMHO, don't waste your time with the mid-size; they are not that much smaller, but the full-sized are so much more capable. Here is a photo of my 900 trailered with my buddy's 800. Any specific questions?
    DSCN2789.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    Does anybody have one of these or any experience with one? I'm thinking of buying a side x side and starting to look around at different models/brands. I was thinking about the midsize 800 but for less than 2" difference I might as well get the full size. Thanks for any info in advance.

I went out of Eureka with a neighbor that got an inclosed Polaris S by S with six wheels off of CL. He use to have an Argo. Virtually every aspect of this machine was far superior to the Argo in his opinion. The only area of potential concern is that it is somewhat top heavy and side hilling causes some big pucker. It climbs up and down almost anything...brakes down hills are fantastic. It was only slightly slower than the 4 wheelers, but nothing like how slow the Argo was. River crossings were are dream and we could never have done the same solo in the Argo. Oh yeah, being fully inclosed was great for warmth, but Every mud hole in the road cause water to hit the exhaust and Steam Up the interior...he would open his driver door and fan the steam out of the cab over and over again...by the end he just raised the front windshield and left it up, even during the worse rain storm...so the cab needs venting, and the newer ones address that.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks for the replies and info. My main concern was the width of the side x sides.

Kenaiphisher have you had any issues with the width of your 900? Have you had it on any trails through the woods? I liked the storage under the seat and a few other options that it had over the 800's. I have no experience with side x sides so any help/info is great. What kind of mileage do you get with the 900. I have heard that its not good. Also how is the heat in the cab since the motor has been moved? I heard with the others you didn't need a heater kit because there was plenty from the engine. What model did you get if you don't mind me asking? Is that after market tires on yours also? Does yours feel tippy if side hilling? Anyway it looks like from the pic you were having fun and thanks for the help.

Roger45...I had a argo and it was a beast. The only problem with a argo is, you need a buddy with a argo to get you if you happen to need help. They are slow but steady. I don't plan on getting a fully enclosed cab if I buy one so I want have the fogging up issue. I was thinking more along the lines of Kenaiphisher's setup or maybe a full windshield to keep rain out or off the wife.

Thanks again,

I have had no issues with the width of my Ranger and have gone through plenty of spruce, alders and willows with it. I have yet to be in any position with my Ranger where I thought 2 inches less in width would make a difference.

As far as mileage goes, with a new engine come better fuel efficiency. Technology keeps advancing and with it comes better engines with more power and better fuel economy. My 900 gets better fuel economy than my buddy's 800. When we go out on a long trip, I always use less fuel than him. The midsized Ranger does weigh 250 pounds less and will get better fuel economy than the full sized 800, but I would bet the fuel economy of the 900 will be the same if not better than the midsized 800. On a trail with little to no mud, I get about 13-15 mpg in low gear. Mileage will increase in high gear and decrease when in low gear going through hairier stuff. I rarely run in high gear unless on a road or other groomed/packed trail and plan on doing 25+ mph. It is hard on the belt when you run in high gear and are doing low speed trail riding, thus I pretty much leave it in low gear 90% of the time. (I am not a speed demon. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten a RZR.) On my last trip, I drove over 50 miles on trails, over tundra, and trough streams and swamps and only had to add five gallons to top it back up. I have been truly impressed with the fuel economy of the 900.

With an 800, there is a good amount of heat created by the engine that escapes into the cab because of the location of the engine under the seat. The 900's engine is under the bed and there is no recognizable heat that comes into the cab. I guess if you put a full cab on an 800, you would benefit from the heat. As you can see from my photo, I do not have a cab nor do I have any plans to get one. Just my preference.

I went with the half windshield because I donít want to worry about my view ever getting obstructed. When I am out riding, stuff splashes and gets on the windshield. It gets dirty very fast. With the half windshield, you still have a clear view of everything but the windshield acts as a wind block. It doesnít block all the wind, but it helps significantly. A full windshield would be nice for staying drier, but I donít mind putting on my rain gear and going.

I donít feel my Ranger is any tippier than most ATVís. I have side-hilled quite a bit and have not really felt like it was going to roll on me. The increased width helps with the stability. A midsized will be tippier than the full sized. The only times I was concerned about tipping was when I was on something I would not even want to have an ATV sideways on.

My Ranger is a base model 900 XP. I donít have power steering and have never felt I needed it. Even when my wife drives it, she does just fine. Power steering is just a $1000 I did not want to spend. Itís just something else that can break in the field. I did put on some ITP Mega Mayhemís. All four are 27x11x11. I have not had any issues with any rubbing on the front at all. The only thing I have added since the first picture is a snorkel kit. The only reason I added the snorkel kit is because I was not a fan of where Polaris decided to put the air intakes on the 900xp. The intakes are on the side of the machine and when I did a stream crossing, I was paranoid about water going in the intakes. None did, but the snorkel kit was a cheap way ($225) to make me sleep better at night. I have added a couple photos of my Ranger with the snorkel.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to share what little experience I have!

20130803_134222.jpg1146232_496403497101825_1582954119_o.jpg

Oh yeah, GET A WINCH!!! They are worth their weight in gold. Also, do some research on anchors you can use when there are no trees or other structure to winch to. I have been lucky enough to always have someone with me to winch to when there was nothing else to winch to, but there will come a time when I am alone. Someone on this board reccommended using a couple T-posts, pounding them in and looping a strap on each pole then attaching the winch line to the strap. Seems like a good inexpensive idea, we'll see how well it works....

First off I do t have a 900 I have a full size 800. I love it its my go to hunting rig. You do have to ask yourself how and where you are going to use them. You mentioned the width and woods... They suck... Plain and simple, most wooded trails are cut for a four wheeler and the extra foot does make it tough. I have and will still use those trails but it takes a lot more work. And for that reason if I were to do it again I would get the power steering as it make all the backing up and turning around tree much easier on your arms...

I would be the T-post fan! Very cheap and very useful at getting unstuck when there are no trees around.

The ranger in my opinion is the hunters dream vehicle without getting into big buggies. They are agile and will go more places then you may need to and they can carry a lot of gear and animal. I have not found them to be tippy or more tippy then an atv. I removed my rear sway bar to help in the mud but it did come at a price of being a bit more tippy, proven last year when I tipped it over. I did have a whole caribou on the roof so it was meant to be sooner or later. I used to have a full windshield but sold it in favor of the half. I have never regretted that decision.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Once again thanks for all the info guys. I think I will probably pull the trigger on one this winter or later on this year. I think me and the wife would enjoy it, plus I still have 2 4-wheelers if I need to go somewhere that has a real narrow trail. I also think it will be the Ranger 900 over my other pick which was the Can Am Commander. Just to many choices and options now days. What's a man suppose to do? Thanks again and if you think of any more helpful info I'm all ears.

kenaiphisher
    What type of snorkel did you go with

I got my snorkel from snorkelyouratv.com Very happy with their product. Easy to install, but a little time consuming. The hardest part is removing the seats and all the cowlings to get to the CVT box and intake. You have to cut the back of your middle seat to make the pipes fit. Also, if you have a rear windshield, you will have to custom cut a hole for the pipes to go. Fun project, just be prepared to adapt and overcome.1147084_496403517101823_379392321_o.jpg