Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a gun store needed

Default Help with a gun store needed

OK here is what I want to do. I have a buddy that I stay with every year at his cabin in Clam Gulch for a few weeks. He is a teacher in Anchorage. He never carries a pistol when he is outdoors because he does not have one. I want to buy him a Glock 20SF for having me up every year. I know there are better choices than a 10mm but its far better than nothing. He girlfriend loves to shoot and with a drop in .40 barrel that would work out great. Is it possible for me to hook up with a gun store in Anchorage or Soldotna and have them order one with me having sent payment and have him go in and pick it up and do the paperwork? I am in MN. Any suggestions on a good gun store for that? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Three Bears in Soldotna has been really good to me on special orders in town, not sure if they would do it for a remote customer or not.

I would think one of the shops in Anchorage could do that... .you essentially would just be paying for the gun, he would do all the paperwork.... with that said when I was looking for that exact gun a few months ago I could not find one I could buy. The only one I found was already sold, but the guy let my wife hold it long enough to know that it did not fit her hands.

I would try Gunrunners personally, ask for Neils as he owns the place.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Seems like it would be cleaner and easier to just send your friend a check, and let him shop for his own gun at the shop of his own choosing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Iofthetiger I thought of that but knowing him he would send the check back LOL. It would be cool to have him walk into a gun shop no really knowing what he was going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    OK here is what I want to do. I have a buddy that I stay with every year at his cabin in Clam Gulch for a few weeks. He is a teacher in Anchorage. He never carries a pistol when he is outdoors because he does not have one. I want to buy him a Glock 20SF for having me up every year. I know there are better choices than a 10mm but its far better than nothing. He girlfriend loves to shoot and with a drop in .40 barrel that would work out great. Is it possible for me to hook up with a gun store in Anchorage or Soldotna and have them order one with me having sent payment and have him go in and pick it up and do the paperwork? I am in MN. Any suggestions on a good gun store for that? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    KGPR
    I don't know all the ins and outs involved. Last year my oldest Son bought me a nice 20 ga O/U at a Sportsman Whse in the Denver area and had it shipped to SW here in Wasilla. My Wife picked it up and gave it to me for my XX birthday. I was not involved in any way until it was time to go Ptarmigan hunting...

P.S. Coho's are not interested in J-plugs, but I did catch a nice, fat (tastey) King on one trolled at 37 ft over in PWS.. Thanks.

G20 is hard to find in Alaska because they sell FAST here, much faster than in the lower 48. You could buy one on Gunbroker, Bud’s or something and have it shipped to an Anchorage FFL for your friend, then he just goes and gets it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Would one of you FFL guys explain to me how that is NOT a straw purchase? As I understand it, from selling guns at a box store, if one guy puts money on the table, but the gun isn't going to him, and he isn't going through the background check, then that is, by definition, a straw purchase.

How about a gift certificate to the store so he won't return a check- then the store can order one for him if they don't have it...BTW- that is a very nice gesture to show your appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Would one of you FFL guys explain to me how that is NOT a straw purchase? As I understand it, from selling guns at a box store, if one guy puts money on the table, but the gun isn't going to him, and he isn't going through the background check, then that is, by definition, a straw purchase.
    It's not so much about who pays the money, it's about who fills out the background check paperwork... If the guy who's ultimately going to possess the gun files the paperwork, all is well. If you file the paperwork in your name, then pass the gun to someone else, that's a straw purchase.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    It's not so much about who pays the money, it's about who fills out the background check paperwork... If the guy who's ultimately going to possess the gun files the paperwork, all is well. If you file the paperwork in your name, then pass the gun to someone else, that's a straw purchase.
    Unless it is a gift.

"Straw purchase" is based on intent. The reason for someone to purchase legally then give it to someone else who is illegal is to circumvent the law (obviously). But if you do this for your wife or dad, or friend, it isn't a straw purchase.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Unless it is a gift.

"Straw purchase" is based on intent. The reason for someone to purchase legally then give it to someone else who is illegal is to circumvent the law (obviously). But if you do this for your wife or dad, or friend, it isn't a straw purchase.
    Agreed (provided to the best of your knowledge, said wife, dad or friend is legal to own a firearm).
    #Resist

When I was selling guns (about 15 years ago now) you could still buy one as a gift, there was a check box and everything. Don't know if that's still the case. However that was used when the actual purchaser was filling out the paperwork AND paying. I never understood that as it seems like a loop hole for a straw purchase.

I only dealt with actual straw purchases a few times in about 9 years of gun sales but they were easy enough to spot, most of them admitted it when asked, oddly enough.

In this case, how do you would prove that the payer was actually in another state or NOT taking possession of the weapon in the parking lot. Is the seller responsible for verifying that? Now I think I've talked myself into agreeing they may NOT do this for you...

Straw buy is based on intent as Nytroman says.

You may buy guns and gift them to anyone you want so long as you have no knowledge that the person is prohibited from owning the gun.

You may buy a gun for yourself and immediately (or anytime thereafter) sell it. Say you walk out of the pawn shop where you just bought an old 94 Win and the guy in the parking lot says “Hey that was my Grandpa’s 30-30, I'll give you $2000 for it.” That would be a legal sale, your “intent“ when you bought it wasn’t to sell in the parking lot.

The classic straw buy is you buy a gun for the purpose of selling it, usually at a profit and to someone who is prohibited or maybe just doesn’t like paper trails. Here your “intent” is to circumvent the law, to buy for the purpose of selling, without a license to buy and sell, without a 4473, NICS or anything . . . That’s a straw buy.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    In this case, how do you would prove that the payer was actually in another state or NOT taking possession of the weapon in the parking lot. Is the seller responsible for verifying that? Now I think I've talked myself into agreeing they may NOT do this for you...
    I'm an FFL and I'd be happy to do it. Doesn’t matter if the payer is in another state or standing right there. The guy I'm transferring it to is the guy signing on the bottom line, none of my business who's pocket the hard earned cash comes out of as long as the guy they say will be the owner signs the 4473 and passes NICS.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I'm an FFL and I'd be happy to do it. Doesn’t matter if the payer is in another state or standing right there. The guy I'm transferring it to is the guy signing on the bottom line, none of my business who's pocket the hard earned cash comes out of as long as the guy they say will be the owner signs the 4473 and passes NICS.
    Glad to hear the OP has choices.

AD I will take you up on that when the time comes! I want to stay 100% legal so this is NOT a straw buy. He will fill out all the paper work I am just paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    And the "in another state" brings up yet another issue. When I was selling guns in FL, handgun sales had to go to an in-state resident. I couldn't sell a handgun to someone from out of state. (long gun sales were okay.)

And the "in another state" brings up yet another issue. When I was selling guns in FL, handgun sales had to go to an in-state resident. I couldn't sell a handgun to someone from out of state. (long gun sales were okay.)
    The gun is going to an instate resident he just wont be paying for it.. Its straight forward and legal.

Who pays for it is irrelevant, the law only covers who I transfer the gun to and he is an Alaska resident.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast