Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CARIBOU Hunting in the OLD Days

Default CARIBOU Hunting in the OLD Days

Drive up the Glenn Hwy. to Gunsight or Eureka. There would be "Thousands" of Caribou on each side of the road, maybe a few hundred "ON" the road alive, and only God knows how many dead on the shoulder of the road. The DOT would drive back and forth with the plow pushing the dead and guts off the highway this was year around not just winter.

Before the Parks Hwy. was built/completed in the early 70's the Glenn Hwy. was how supplies were moved from port to non-rail areas by Tractor-Trailer. Pre-Pipeline and during construction there were dozens of Caribou hit and killed be vehicles every day. It was not rare to see a big rig with caribou tangled in the moose goosier/catcher. The ice fog and/or snow & wind could cut visibility to just above zero.

The limit was 5 Caribou, but you could harvest as many as you wanted, F&G knew the herd was too large. The only hard rule that was enforced was, "Do not field dress them on the Highway or the shoulder", for that you would get a ticket.

It was about the same on the Denali Haul Road, but it was closed October 1'st. for the winter.

Cool post AGL.

From what I hear the WACH caribou here were down to 65,000 in the 1970's. I dont know what the limits were.

In the 90's and early 2,000 we hit 475,000 Caribou inthe herd and since a natural decline the last 12 or so years , were down to 350,000 or so. Limits 5 a day, and the do enforce anyones overlimit.

The rise and fall of Caribou......well at least the Nilchitna (sp?)Herd has the prospect of bouncing back
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Here you go this is a great place to find any information you might want to know about the Nelchina Caribou herd, as I have said in earlier posts when I started hunting in the area there were almost 80,000 animals now there are about 35,000 this truly in interesting to read, start from page 3 it will take a minute to load but it is worth it.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/specialpu...SP2010-005.pdf

Finite number of caribou... too darn many people that keep coming and coming and coming...
    Most folks today cannot fathom how great it was in Southcentral before Los Anchorage metastasized.

(Alaska was done for when it became a State it has forever changed)

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Finite number of caribou... too darn many people that keep coming and coming and coming...
    Most folks today cannot fathom how great it was in Southcentral before Los Anchorage metastasized.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Maybe so, but the pipeline sealed her fate.

( Very true sir)

Maybe so, but the pipeline sealed her fate.

Excellent stuff, Steve. Certainly worthy of being oft quoted.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Alaska was done for when it became overpopulated with humans.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Not to be rude but I think it's pretty hypocritical for people who relocated to alaska to complain about people moving here.. After all maybe they are coming here for some of the same reasons we did...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Not to be rude but I think it's pretty hypocritical for people who relocated to alaska to complain about people moving here.. After all maybe they are coming here for some of the same reasons we did...
    "Complaining", or simply stating a fact?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Alaska was done for when it became overpopulated with humans.
    As Dave said, you really can't blame people for wanting to move to a better place. Most of us here did right? Unfortunately, with that brings a lot of the undesirables......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "Complaining", or simply stating a fact?
    I hear ya iof but its a typical thing up here.... Move here and let the entitlement rights begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    ...Move here and let the entitlement rights begin...
    And thus, Alaska was done for.
    #Resist

Ah, nostalgia. At least AGL didn't say the "good ol'" days <grin>

But I don't think Alaska is done for. Not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Granted, it will never be the place it once was, nothing is, but it's a da*n big place with lots of room to spread out if need be. Wouldn't like to see it, but hey.....the times they are a changin'.........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Red face The land of lost content . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Ah, nostalgia. At least AGL didn't say the "good ol'" days <grin>

Something i've pondered more than once . . .

Right off, I think "Alaska" represents something that was lost a long time ago. Oh, sure, most of us came up here looking to find it and indeed found a facsimile in one degree or another—more mental than physical. You, Mark, are about as close as you can get, as I see it, but even your lifestyle out there in the bush bears the imprint of modernity. Nor is that a criticism . . just an observation.

The Alaska of today is, I fear, little more than one more ride on the amusement park that is 21st century Western culture . . from the "ooh's" and "ahs" of tour boat passengers up the inside passage to one-night-stand trophy hunters to the glutted boxes of salmon and halibut that annually choke FedEx and our airports, Alaska is, for the overwhelming majority of Americans, just one more ride in Disneyland.

The big difference in my mind between Alaska and the lower-48, between us and them so to speak, is our remaining sense of community, our understanding and acceptance of each other as Alaskans in an almost tribal sense. Little remains of the old lifestyles, the old integration with the wild, but what remains is our integration with each other as Alaskans. When that's gone, all will be gone. That sense of human community from Skagway to Barrow and that our kids and grandkids are here is all that keeps us from seeking milder climes.

Nor should my nostalgia be interpreted as bitterness toward or criticism of the rest of America or Western culture in general. Time goes on for every generation . . something new and discomfiting is always coming over the horizon.

A. E. Housman nailed it:

Into my heart an air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Something i've pondered more than once . . .

Right off, I think "Alaska" represents something that was lost a long time ago. Oh, sure, most of us came up here looking to find it and indeed found a facsimile in one degree or another—more mental than physical. You, Mark, are about as close as you can get, as I see it, but even your lifestyle out there in the bush bears the imprint of modernity. Nor is that a criticism . . just an observation.

The Alaska of today is, I fear, little more than one more ride on the amusement park that is 21st century Western culture . . from the "ooh's" and "ahs" of tour boat passengers up the inside passage to one-night-stand trophy hunters to the glutted boxes of salmon and halibut that annually choke FedEx and our airports, Alaska is, for the overwhelming majority of Americans, just one more ride in Disneyland.

The big difference in my mind between Alaska and the lower-48, between us and them so to speak, is our remaining sense of community, our understanding and acceptance of each other as Alaskans in an almost tribal sense. Little remains of the old lifestyles, the old integration with the wild, but what remains is our integration with each other as Alaskans. When that's gone, all will be gone. That sense of human community from Skagway to Barrow and that our kids and grandkids are here is all that keeps us from seeking milder climes.

Nor should my nostalgia be interpreted as bitterness toward or criticism of the rest of America or Western culture in general. Time goes on for every generation . . something new and discomfiting is always coming over the horizon.

A. E. Housman nailed it:

Into my heart an air that kills
    From yon far country blows:
    What are those blue remembered hills,
    What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
    I see it shining plain,
    The happy highways where I went
    And cannot come again.
    Wow. You may have just said the most logical thing I've ever read on here. You hit what everyone argues about on here In A completely different way that was perfect. Rep +1
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

This is something I"ve thought about many times while both living and after leaving your great state. In the "80s" the old timers would talk about the good old days of few people, large game populations, and liberal seasons and bag limits . Fast forward to today and I still hear the same complaints from outdoorsman . Believe me when I say to you now that in 2034 the same thing will be said about nowadays. Have they changed for the better, I don't think so but believe me its still a sight better than most of the lower 48. Some day you to will look back on the nowadays and say you know those sure were the good old days, weren't they? Ron.

Kinda funny how us young'uns have to put up with not only the aftermath of the baby boomers, but their incessant stories of just how good they had it
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast