Thread: Mt. GOAT hunting in the old days...........(Duplicate post)

Default Mt. GOAT hunting in the old days...........(Duplicate post)

We harvested a LOT of goats in the Lake George area before it went to permit, and never climbed one step. We would wait till Whiteout Lake froze then land around the corner late in the afternoon. We would take split firewood in with us and have a nice campfire in the crisp November air. At very first light we would walk around the corner and the goats would be almost down to the lake.

We did not even field dress them, just break camp, land on the lake, taxi right up to the goats, load two goats into each plane and return to Birchwood or Firelake if we were on skies.

I have never climbed for a goat, harvested many goats up behind Valdez in the early 70's by driving out mineral creek road/trail, sleep in my VW Bug, harvest two just above the road, I think the longest shot was maybe 30 yards. They would roll down to the road, those I would field dress, but one under the hood and one on top of the hood

yep, and since the "good old days" we have learned a lot about goat management and biology. The days of shooting 2 goats apiece and rolling them into the plane have a direct correlation to the days of hoping to draw a permit for the chance to hike/climb your butt off.
    Live and learn. (Or not)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yep, and since the "good old days" we have learned a lot about goat management and biology. The days of shooting 2 goats apiece and rolling them into the plane have a direct correlation to the days of hoping to draw a permit for the chance to hike/climb your butt off.
    Live and learn. (Or not)
    I'd have to agree, and was mainly why I said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's not a wonder that goats are so heavily regulated these days.......
    about his George Lake comment.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The dropped pebble rarely takes notice of it's own ripples.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I was assuming that you knew that the limit was two goats per season. Interesting responses. I might have expected someone to say, thanks I did not know the Mt. Goats came down so low at night.