Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chummng for hailbut

Default Chummng for hailbut

Is there any commercial manufacturers that produce the bags used for efficient chumming? I am aware that a lot of anglers use many different ways and devices for this purpose. What is the most efficient way of doing this , i.e. by anchor or downrigger ?.......Also any secrets would be much appreciated.......lol ..................thanks

I don't like chum bags on downriggers. They're always in the way, and especially in lower currents, hooked fish are likely to wrap around the downrigger wire. My choices are attaching at the top of the anchor chain or the bottom. The top is dandy for wave action on the boat to cause the chain to lift and move, further distributing chum, but it's handier for recovery to attach it to the chain very close to the anchor. We use commercial bait bags (with drawstring tops) sold cheaply at most commercial fishing suppliers using a small "bait hanger" from the same sources, intended for suspending "hanging bait" in crab pots. Simple and quick. For convenience we keep a 5-gallon bucket in the bow and simply drop the chum bag into the bucket when retrieved for moves between locations.

I dislike chum bags, for personal reasons. One is that I can't make them catch more more fish than using just baited hooks alone. Having 4-6 freshly baited (with ample bait) circle hooks down there is a lot of chum. Another reason is that the halibut keep yanking them off my anchor. Pretty funny when you pull up a 40lb halibut and the drawstring from your chum bag is sticking it out of there throat! I often wonder when the tide/wind are fighting, and you aren't perfectly in-line with your chum bag, if fish are bypassing our baited hooks, and going right to the chum bag.

If I fished in an area that had more depletion, I'd probably use more chum bags tho! And, if I had limited bait for my circle hooks, or if I just had 2-3 baited hooks down, then I'd want more chum and use a chum bag.

A tip for the non-chum baggers like me.. Those rockfish release tools make great chum releasers. Stick on a bunch of herring, salmon guts/scraps, etc and drop it down and shake em off. Keeps the fresh chum flowing, even in those 4-6 hour soaks. Works like a charm too when you are jigging structure, and doing the same drift over and over again... drop down some chum on the release tool, and in 20-30 minutes, your jigging goes crazy as a bunch of fish move into the structure you are working.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If I fished in an area that had more depletion, I'd probably use more chum bags tho! And, if I had limited bait for my circle hooks, or if I just had 2-3 baited hooks down, then I'd want more chum and use a chum bag.
    Good distinction. We're mostly jigging, but lotsa baited hooks on the bottom does fine.

yeah, if you are just using jigs, you need a big chum bag. It's all about the scent..

I don't use a chum bag but prefer the chum Bomb method.
    I fill a paper lunch sack with small pieces of chum and add some herring oil. Keep the pieces 1/2" or smaller so they get a taste but not an entire meal out of the bits.
    Using a fishing rod I put on a heavy sinker. Then I attach the chum bag using a couple of half hitches and drop it to the bottom.
    Let it soak for a minute or two then give it a few swift jerks to dispense the chum all over the bottom.
    Works for me.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I use an upside down wire mesh shrimp bait jar. Hang a 2 lb weight off the rim, clip the bottom of the jar to the swivel on a halibut rod, dice up a couple herring and send it to the bottom. Once on the bottom, jig it hard a few times to shake the chum out, then reel it up and resume fishing. I got the idea from one of the boats on Wicked Tuna. They use it to get their chum deep enough to avoid the birds.

I just happen to have what you need !!20130616_154355[1].jpg 1/2"x1/2"wire size and they measure 6"x6"x24" thats in inches for you euro guys !! Attach it to where your anchor chain meets the anchor line and the boat pulling on the line shakes the pot to keep the chum going or a guy could pour some cement into the bottom of the chum pot and just drop it off the bow or stern of the boat. I also stock the mesh bait bags with the pucker string.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If you have two people onboard fishing can you also send down a chum bag on a third fishing rod? Not sure if the rod counts as fishing with no hook.

Anyone just drop down a jar of shrimp pellets for halibut chumming?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    If you have two people onboard fishing can you also send down a chum bag on a third fishing rod? Not sure if the rod counts as fishing with no hook.

Anyone just drop down a jar of shrimp pellets for halibut chumming?
    I used to use an old halibut rod for running my chum bag. No hook on it. I like running a chum bag but it usually only me and maybe 2 other people fishing. I seem to catch much more fish when running the bag as opposed to not running it. I run it off my down rigger but as others have cautioned be careful of where you are fishing at because the line can wrap around it. I usually try to keep my lines well away from it and I dont have much of a problem.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Tried lots of chum methods including paper bag bombs, bag of chum on the anchor line, etc.

the absolute best has been:
    mix herring oil, small whole herring and some water in a blender on high speed to create a finely ground up slush of fish pieces. Get small plastic jars with lids, line the jar with a piece of hunting game bag (or other fine mesh like cheese cloth) cut big enough to line the jar and about 2 inches hanging over the edge. Rubber band the mesh to hold in place temporarily. Pour the mush in, put the lid on with the cloth still hanging out over edge. Don't fill the jars too full to allow for expansion when it freezes

As you are heading out to your spot, the chum thaws just enough to slide right out of the jar. Use the mesh hanging over the edge of jar to tie The chum bag to the very large weight on the end of your spare pole. drop the chum bag off the bow (as far away from your other poles as possible) and let it soak. scent releases slowly and draws the fish in without feeding them. Because the chum ball is frozen, it lasts quite a while and gets lots of scent in the water. Jigging has been very productive when the chum is down. Within minutes, we are hauling them in one after another. We've caught some very large fish using this chumming method and the action is literally non stop.

would be interested to know if others people are using other "creative" methods

here's the supplies you need:
    game bags: https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Big-Gam.../dp/B00GVLMK4G
    plastic jars with lids: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Plasti...jars+with+lids
    Really good blender
    herring oil
    small size trolling herring - they are easier to blend

i tried hooligan too and it worked great, but Herring are easier for me to get b/c I don't ever fish hooligan myself

We have powered downriggers on the boat, so we use em. Fish on, hit the button, and the bag is back at the surface long before the fish. We use drawstring mesh bags from the local marine supply store intended as bait bags for crab pots. Slick, easy and effective.

Won't say a bunch about it, but if you enjoy mooching for kings and silvers, anchor when you spot a bait layer and hang a chum bag of chopped herring at the same depth as the bait layer. Oh my..... Same deal- hook a fish and hit the retrieve button on the downrigger.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Old thread, but good info in here. I'm with TI, I don't like chum bags on the anchor, unless you are lined up with your anchor you will be drawing fish to the anchor instead of your baits. plenty of days when the wind has you sitting sideways in the current. I keep a 2gal bucket with salmon carcasses in it loaded with salmon oil that I get locally here. I keep my "up" current rods with big baits, usually whole carcass on one side, a head on the other and the guys with jigs down current of them. Most of the fish come on the jigs as they're the first baits they see. Every 15 min we start on one side and work around the boat changing baits.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I don't use a chum bag but prefer the chum Bomb method.
    I fill a paper lunch sack with small pieces of chum and add some herring oil. Keep the pieces 1/2" or smaller so they get a taste but not an entire meal out of the bits.
    Using a fishing rod I put on a heavy sinker. Then I attach the chum bag using a couple of half hitches and drop it to the bottom.
    Let it soak for a minute or two then give it a few swift jerks to dispense the chum all over the bottom.
    Works for me.
    We do exactly the same thing. Works for us too.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Might be a dumb question but can I catch pinks and cut up for chum?

read the regs. in PWS you could use sport caught pinks for Bait , last year ???? the head, tail, an innards, you can use "" but READ THE REGS ""
    don't even know about old freezer fish ? if it is old freezer fish how can you tell if it is sport fish or store gotten , just my 2 cts. SID

As an asside, bright pinks in the salt smoke up wonderfully.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I bought a 110 volt wood chipper from Harbor Freight, we freeze the salmon racks and herring and run them through the chipper. We also boil 50 lbs of rice and mix the whole mess together with a couple gallons of herring oil and freeze it in 2 gallon bags. We use the fwd down riggers depending on which way the boat is laying, dump the 2 gallon ziplock bag into the chum bag, also we always use a light line on the chum bag. As stated above, as soon as a large fish grabs the bait we pull up the down rigger immediately. We've had a couple of the chum bags grabbed by something very large of Montague a couple of times and nearly lost the whole rig before we change to a lighter line to attach the chum bag.
    Chumming is Fun and it is really a blast for the blackies, we fly fish for them when we bring the chum to the surface, what a hoot.

These might be just what you guys need. Probably hold 2 chunked up humpies in one.
    ED bait bags 2.jpgED bait bags.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Rav'n Mainiac View Post
    I bought a 110 volt wood chipper from Harbor Freight, we freeze the salmon racks and herring and run them through the chipper. We also boil 50 lbs of rice and mix the whole mess together with a couple gallons of herring oil and freeze it in 2 gallon bags. We use the fwd down riggers depending on which way the boat is laying, dump the 2 gallon ziplock bag into the chum bag, also we always use a light line on the chum bag. As stated above, as soon as a large fish grabs the bait we pull up the down rigger immediately. We've had a couple of the chum bags grabbed by something very large of Montague a couple of times and nearly lost the whole rig before we change to a lighter line to attach the chum bag.
    Chumming is Fun and it is really a blast for the blackies, we fly fish for them when we bring the chum to the surface, what a hoot.
    You are dumping plastic bags full of chum in the ocean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast