Thread: CV Shaft Boots

Default CV Shaft Boots

Hey all, I borrowed a wheeler for the weekend for hunting. I am probably responsible for a torn CV driveshaft boot and since dirt and mud were able to get into the joint, probably a destroyed CV joint. I have pretty decent mechanical abilities, is this as easy to replace as I think it would be? Any idea on what a shop would charge? Any recommended local place to get parts. I think it is around a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Thanks, Ryan.

Very easy about 90 minutes the first time u do it. I've got it down to about a half hr now. Order from ak cycle center. The other Polaris dealership seems uncaring if your part comes in or not. Should be about $240 for the cv and boot kit. Plus you will need the cv tool if you don't already have one. You might check out the cv man cvs on eBay good stuff 1/3 the price great product and the prices include shipping. There are lots of tutorials on you tube on how to remove the axle and replace the cv.

EPI sells replacment CV joints for about $100. I would just clean the original and see if it is damaged from the dirt before I replaced it. This is very common and usually doesnt require a CV replacment, just the boot. To replace the boot, you will have to tear the CV apart and that gives you the oppurtunity to clean and inspect. Pretty easy task as already stated. Youtube is your friend and will guide you
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks guys. YouTube certainly has no shortages of tutorials. Yeah, I guess I will get it apart first, then decide if it needs a new joint or just the boot.