Thread: Broken XL7 Riflestock

Default Broken XL7 Riflestock

Good news: I got my son a new Marlin XL7 in .270 Win for his birthday in June. I had Alaska Hydrographics lay down a nice looking Kryptek Highlander dip on the stock. We had worked out a load that was giving him 3/4" groups and zeroed for 200yds. Bad News: A mild 4 Wheeler accident this weekend, his first time out hunting with it, resulted in a broken buttstock. It broke in the middle of the pistol grip. I see my options as: 1) Pin and epoxy stock back together, drive on. 2) New stock (probably wood or laminate), new hydrocoating, this is the most expensive option. 3) Find a discarded XL7 stock and hydrocoat it again. Any advice? Thanks, Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    Good news: I got my son a new Marlin XL7 in .270 Win for his birthday in June. I had Alaska Hydrographics lay down a nice looking Kryptek Highlander dip on the stock. We had worked out a load that was giving him 3/4" groups and zeroed for 200yds. Bad News: A mild 4 Wheeler accident this weekend, his first time out hunting with it, resulted in a broken buttstock. It broke in the middle of the pistol grip. I see my options as: 1) Pin and epoxy stock back together, drive on. 2) New stock (probably wood or laminate), new hydrocoating, this is the most expensive option. 3) Find a discarded XL7 stock and hydrocoat it again. Any advice? Thanks, Ryan
    Beartooth might have an unused one!
    I'd contact the factory and explain what happened. Who knows, maybe they'll replace it free!

Have Andy put it back together for you.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My personal preference is to replace the stock. I know you can pin and epoxy but I have never cared for that route. Look at Boyds or even factory for a replacment if that is the route you choose. I know the factory stock is a little lacking since I have the same in 30-06. Good time to upgrade if that was ever in the future
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Definitely contact Marlin Parts Dept.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Listen to Smitty!! Marlin is owned by the same people as remington, they have good customer service. Call them (Or have a dealer/gunsmith call them for you) and you can PROBABOY get a new stock from them. Accidents happen, they understand that.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I didn't even think about contacting Marlin. I was going to take it back to Paul at Alaska Hydrocoating and tell him his stuff isn't as tough as he thinks it is....... (That is absolutely a joke, my son and I were totally floored by the job he does, a true artist.)

I have an XL7 stock if you want, you pay the shipping and it is yours.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

since I have one and will maybe get another I am curious how it broke ? was it a clean snap or a crushed break ? can you put in a picture maybe ?

FYI - my buddy at the Miller Paint store said the RustOleum multi-color textured spray paint would hold up to weather and such so I painted mine with it and it turned out great - I can't speak to how it will hold up through a season yet but it is taking the routine bumps and bruises quite well

Ryan, I will be shipping the stock to you tomorrow.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth, thank you again sir. Your money order is in the mail as well.
    back country, it broke, snapped, about 1/2" behind the action right on the grip area. It was a pretty clean break, left very sharp edges. We aren't sure exactly how it happened. I rolled the 4 wheeler we were on, over us. My son had his rifle in the soft case in his hands when it happened. He managed to roll away without injury, not sure what happened to the rifle in the process. The area that broke was solid, not hollow like the buttstock. There was no visible trauma to any specific part of the rifle. I don't have pictures because pictures are evidence. If a certain someone in our household knew what happened we may never be allowed in the woods unsupervised again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    I don't have pictures because pictures are evidence. If a certain someone in our household knew what happened we may never be allowed in the woods unsupervised again.
    Ha ha! I like the way you think.

Thank you Ryan J - Glad to hear that on peoples were hurt !

As towley would say don't forget your towel...

If it ever happens again, Boyds has a very nice laminate stock that fits the Marlin X series rifles. I've got one on a custom .35 Whelen built on a donor XL7 30-06 and I love it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

AKsoldier:If it had been mine I would have been all over one of the Boyd's stocks. However, I had Paul at Alaska Hydrographics put the Kryptek Highlander pattern on it and my son loved it. As it was his birthday present and it was only about 2 months old I felt the need to restore it to it's glamour. Beartooth hooked me up with the replacement and as soon as Paul gets back from moose hunting I will have it in to be coated again with Alaska Hydrographics. I certainly can admit that it looked bad ass.

I'd love to see a pic of it if you have one. Never heard of Alaska Hydrographics, and now you have me interested.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Attachment 73864Here it is......or was. I think the owner is a member here. Preed, or Preen or something along those lines. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...38785862839902 or http://alaskahydrographics.com/.