Thread: Need a Canvas Tarp, where do I buy one affordiably?

Question Need a Canvas Tarp, where do I buy one affordiably?

So, where have you guys found good canvas tarps at?
    Upholstery shops?
    What can a guy expect to pay for one?
    Ideally a 20' square would work I would imagine.
    Used one at another camp last year and it worked great to get out of the rain, low on noise when it poured rain, and gave me some shelter outside of the tent.
    Im out in palmer, any recommendations?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter

Alaska Tent and Tarp.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default Alaska Tent and Tarp-custom Tarps

We had Alaska Tent and Tarp build us some new tarps this year for our float fishing guiding business. For years we used the basic "rip-stop" nylon tarps so commonly available. Every year we were repairing them in one way or another either during the season or after. This year we had Alaska Tent and Tarp make us two tarps out of the same material that they use on their Arctic Oven tents. The light color is especially nice because it lets a lot of light through while sitting in camp. Another feature that we designed into the tarp system is a 6" overlap so that when you set-up two tarps they overlap in the center keeping out that annoying and every constant drip when there is an open seam adjoining two tarps. Edges were reinforced with extra material and there is also a diagonal reinforcement. Not cheap, but worth every penny if you use tarps as much as we do during our summer season. Photos show the two tarps set up as a single unit in one of our camps.

AK-Tent-and-Tarp_Tarp-1.jpgAK-Tent-and-Tarp_Tarp-2.jpg

AIH has some also, but alaska tent and tarp has better quality materials

Just a thought but it appears a seller on ebay called "chicago_canvas " has 10,12,14,16,18 oz canvas tarps in any size/color. 14'x20' 16oz 147.95 free shipping (item number 160935096412 . They have 100s of canvas listings all with free shipping. Not sure if that is a good price for up there. S

Sportsman's Warehouse sells olive green canvas tarps, but they ain't cheap. (Start out at about $90)

I would avoid ebay like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by rospaw View Post
    Just a thought but it appears a seller on ebay called "chicago_canvas " has 10,12,14,16,18 oz canvas tarps in any size/color. 14'x20' 16oz 147.95 free shipping (item number 160935096412 . They have 100s of canvas listings all with free shipping. Not sure if that is a good price for up there. S
    Are you sure it's free shipping to AK.? It may be, but from my experience on a lot of those, you have to read the fine print to find that it doesn't apply to AK.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

[QUOTE=FL2AK-Old Town;

I would avoid ebay like the plague.[/QUOTE]

Why avoid Ebay? I have purchased over 3000 items from ebay in the last 15 years with two issues. Both issues were resolved. I have purchased my truck (Excursion saved 8k), parts, kids stuff, scopes, hunting items, lots of fishing items, school supplys for the kids ect. Ebay is safe to buy from. Most people that say "DON'T USE EBAY" they don't have a clue! They have heard from someone that "ebay's bad" and it stuck in there simple mind. 112.8 MILLION active users...... they can't all be wrong!
    I put in a Alaska zip code (99615) and it still came up free shipping. Read that the company has been in biz for 50 years

Thanks for the reply.....
    Yes, I already found that ebay seller, I have been known to buy some items off that place.
    The place has some good bargains, but I am afraid of the quality of the canvas. They have a great review though.
    So, come tomorrow I will swing by sportsmans warehouse and see what they have, if its to spendy I will roll the dice on that ebay item. AK Tent and tarp is undoubtedly a good quality product. I will have to give him a call and BS him on the cost of a tarp before I commit to something.
    Thanks for the great options mentioned in the post above. All will be researched and the most applicable will be chosen.
    Thanks Again Boys!

If you're not in a real rush- like in the next few days- try Panther Primitives. They specialize in historical tentage- I have a teepee and a pyramid tent from them. Both are very high quality, the teepee has been up on those "breezy" Colorado days: 60 mph winds and had no issues. Not sure what the current inventory is- my attempt to download the current catalog didn't go to good- computer is doing its' own thing tonight- (keeps kicking me out of here too) but worth a look. http://www.pantherprimitives.com/contact.html

I use painters canvass drop cloths from the hardware store. Stick a few grommets in it and good to go.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I use painters canvass drop cloths from the hardware store. Stick a few grommets in it and good to go.
    Same here. I'm adding or repairing grommets on tarps every year it seems.
    A 12x20 heavyweight drop cloth (16oz I think) isn't as tightly woven as tent canvas tarp but can be reasonably water-proofed with a couple cans of Scotchgard.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Why avoid Ebay? I have purchased over 3000 items from ebay in the last 15 years with two issues. Both issues were resolved. I have purchased my truck (Excursion saved 8k), parts, kids stuff, scopes, hunting items, lots of fishing items, school supplys for the kids ect. Ebay is safe to buy from. Most people that say "DON'T USE EBAY" they don't have a clue! They have heard from someone that "ebay's bad" and it stuck in there simple mind. 112.8 MILLION active users...... they can't all be wrong!
    I put in a Alaska zip code (99615) and it still came up free shipping. Read that the company has been in biz for 50 years
    I would have to agree. For awhile I was buying and selling a lot of spendy HAM radio gear. No issues. A guy just has to do his research. One thing I did avoid was PayPal but that may be better these days as that was a long time ago. And I always insisted on US Postal money orders. The only thing I really was ever worried about was if the postal gorillas would play football with my package or not. Got lucky there too.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!