Thread: Scored at the Whitehorse NOLS Gear Sale

Default Scored at the Whitehorse NOLS Gear Sale

Bought a well scratched but good condition 16 foot Trailhead Prospector in Royalex. Trailhead worked with Bill Mason to get the lines right and have been working with different companies in partnership using their mold. Lovely lines and less barge like than our old Tripper. Now we can go out as a whole family on some nice paddling adventures. The 16 prospector is also my favourite solo boat. Weighs about 65-70 pounds or so, but will be tougher than hell!

Long weekend in Canada so way less people at the sale. We were at the front of the line by getting there at 8:30. Last year we were about 100 back. Still a dented Esquif 17 for sale at 10:00 AM when we left! Last year every boat was claimed by 9:00-20 seconds with people clutching them like long lost children. This year my son sprinted for the Prospector which sat between two Esquif 17's. He beat out a burly guy and so did my daughter. We relenquished my daughters claim before fist-a cuffs broke out....(actually I picked the best of the lot). Love having fleet footed children!

Congrats on the find and fast kids.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Raining..postponed the Hudsons Bay Freighter moose trip and we will be paddling tomorrow at long lake, 5 minutes from my work. Pictures and or video to follow. The maiden run of the Prospector!

Maiden run. We like the boat. Video if you are interetsted is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QwW0...r7OAnV0ceWlkmw

Nice little rig there.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Man, your son has sharp elbows. My kidneys still hurt dude, never mind my shins where he kicked me.
    Can't believe I let the little tyke scoop that boat on me.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Was that burly looking fellow you? I was scared for a minute or two!

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Was that burly looking fellow you? I was scared for a minute or two!
    I was the 6'7" bald guy in the Satans Choice vest.......
    Just kidding. I wasn't there. I have always heard there are some good deals to be had there. Have you made any trips to any of those Top Secret, Classified areas I mentioned to ya?
    if you are ever heading down to the river for a test run, give me a heads up, I'd love to have a look at your set-up.
    cheers
    Paul
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have spent some time on the one river North of a lake of the "secret" spot closest to us. Tricky but it is teaching me how to navigate running water with sweepers. Surprisingly swift water in very narrow channels next to the undercuts. Local folks go up that river a ways but can't get far. They are bitter to see me on their traditional territory but I was polite and humble enough to diffuse the tension. Tracks only but didn't go last weekend. Might go this weekend but forcast is a bit windy to take on the lake with my son aboard. Lots more cautious with precious cargo.

Next weekend if work allows. Shoot me a PM and I'll take you along if you'd like.

Glad the guy in the vest wasn't you. I boxed in University but have lost most of my muscle mass since then sitting behind a desk.