Thread: Any Bee Keepers Here?

Default Any Bee Keepers Here?

Lately the wife and I have been finding out more and more that it's hard to find real honey bee honey. I guess most the stuff you find at stores is mostly just sugar. Is there any full proof way to know that you're buying real honeycomb honey?

Thanks...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My Father in law has been keeping bees with my kids for the past several years. This year theirs is going for $12/lb. I've heard of some up to $17+. As far as proving it is local, I guess you could ask to see some of their equipment or pics of their operation...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Buy local, Go to farmers markets and this honey that you find there will almost always be real local honey. Even the honey that you see at places like Costco is real honey it has just been pasteurized that kills all of the bacteria but it also kills off a lot of the properties that are good for you.The main thing is to buy from a small local vender at one of the markets. I sell my honey at $12.00 per lb as Akmud quoted. You could ckeck with the local bee keepers group.

Thanks. So then can I assume that it's not really even possible to get real honey (unpasteurized) from stores like Freddys or Safeway anymore? Or has it always been that way?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My wife buys Alaskan honey at the sportsmans show in Anchorage.
    There is a guy there who raises bees and sells all kinds of honey products.
    I know there is a place between Kasilof and Soldotna on the sterling highway that sells honey. I would guess it is local honey but I never have stopped to check it out just seen their signs.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I am sure that it has been that way for a long time. Buy local buy good product support your neighbors . It is not cheep to have bees,It cost $135.00 per hive to start in the spring plus if you double Queen there is another $30.00 plus what it cost to feed them until things warm as they get here in about mid Apr. So at $12.00 per lb. it is still a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Thanks. So then can I assume that it's not really even possible to get real honey (unpasteurized) from stores like Freddys or Safeway anymore? Or has it always been that way?
    Honey isn't pasteurized, it's inherently free of bacteria and no pasteurization is necessary. The real issue is that the global industrial food machine has taken to micro-filtering honey, which removes everything from it including pollen, essentially rendering the final product inert and untraceable to it's country of origin, and allowing all manner of unscrupulous adulteration and distribution.... Read this: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/1.../#.UiKLSbyG-M4
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist