Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hidden" wildlife trooper

Default "Hidden" wildlife trooper

Im a longtime lurker and appreciate all the indirect advice. I'm curious what the site thinks of law enforcement hiding in the woods, dressed up like a dip netter, striking up conversation with hunters, portraying self as a hunter, etc. A few ways to look at it: 1. Follow the regs and you don't get busted. 2. Kinda weird having a lurker watching us unknowingly 3. Hunters/fisherman may become leary of each other and not be as cordial/willing to help.

just my thoughts, curious on those who have much more experience out there.

Hiding and watching; pretending to be just another fisherman; or walking the banks in uniform are all valid F&G LEO tools.

JM2C
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Hiding and watching; pretending to be just another fisherman; or walking the banks in uniform are all valid F&G LEO tools.

JM2C
    What he said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Good to know. Thanks.

hiding in the woods seems shady to me. Trying to trick others seems shady to me. Law enforcement is SUPPOSED to be MORE upstanding and respectable than even your every day Joe. So being sneaky to try to trick someone doesn't sit right with me. I've employed an entire LE force, there are many lines that need to be drawn regarding law. Those lines get drawn differently in every town and since there isn't much in the way of conformity, opinions begin to vary quickly.

Ever notice how when uniformed LEO's show up certain people leave the dipnet or fishing area or just stop fishing for awhile?
    The best way to catch poachers/lawbreakers is to do this and I support it 100%.
    I have nothing to fear from them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Every Wildlife Trooper i've met was a hunter, fisherman, or trapper long before they became a Trooper, what's not to like, there's no closed season, no limit on poachers.

Quote Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
    hiding in the woods seems shady to me. Trying to trick others seems shady to me. Law enforcement is SUPPOSED to be MORE upstanding and respectable than even your every day Joe. So being sneaky to try to trick someone doesn't sit right with me. I've employed an entire LE force, there are many lines that need to be drawn regarding law. Those lines get drawn differently in every town and since there isn't much in the way of conformity, opinions begin to vary quickly.
    If you are not doing anything illegal, why would you care if a trooper is hiding somewhere and watching?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Every time I've seen, been approached by, or checked by a Trooper they were straight up, in uniform, and direct about it.

Not saying it doesn't ever happen, just hasn't happened to me.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I am all for Wildlife Troopers going covert to catch violators. There have been plenty of times when I wish I would have been in cell coverage to call in some people. Ever notice how everyone drives the speed limit when there's a marked cop car around? Same thing is true for wildlife stuff, except it is way more effective to catch reckless drivers when you drive an unmarked car. Same thing with Wildlife Troopers.

I expect LEO to be as sneaky as the game they are after. They generally do an adequate job. What I believe their missions is, is to protect the resource. Not hide and wait while the game or fish is decimated. Like the bunch on the Kenai they watched poach reds for 30 days before they "swooped" in and busted them. As soon as they see a violation, they should identify themselves.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Like the bunch on the Kenai they watched poach reds for 30 days before they "swooped" in and busted them.
    What?....What's up with that? Did they want to wait that long so they could bust them with a bigger fine or something? Don't seem right to me neither....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Like the time we were sheep hunting above the Hallet River. There were already 2 tents on the shore when we splashed down. So we went over to find out which way they were going in the morning. They were still shaking things out and mentioned that we might all sight in our rifles at the same time. I ran and grabbed the 8 and settled in. They were all picking colored rocks out on the hill behind us. I sighted in on a speck of a duck 500 yards away on the choppy lake. At the shot the duck disappeared in the splash and was gone. We were all kinda taking that in when it popped out out of the lake and flew off quacking. The guy next to me said, "Man, I'm glad you didn't kill that duck. I am F&G and I would have hated to write you a ticket for making that shot." Of course I shot back, "I wasn't trying to shoot it, I was trying to drown it!" Which would have been legal. It was a good fun experience that should typify our feelings towards these frontline officers.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Had a couple one time that were VERY sneaky, telling my fishing buddy & I a lot of what we later found to be half-truths about who they were and what they were there for. Told us they had no experience salmon fishing, were in from the lower 48 somewhere (Montana maybe) and just wanted to catch some fish. They made multiple comments like "but if they're hooked close to the mouth, you can keep them, right? I mean, you'd keep 'em if they were hooked close to the head wouldn't you?..." and "You can probably keep that one - don't you think?" when one was caught foul hooked. They talked a lot - and asked a lot of questions, hung out and watched us fish for over an hour, then walked over and did the same to another couple fishing nearby. As soon as we started packing up, they came and took off jackets revealing they were AK wildlife troopers. They took my buddy's rifle, unloaded it and one walked away with it - after their 'investigation' handing him his bullets and telling him he'd find his rifle about 300 yards up the trail (we'd done nothing that could have caused them to feel we were a threat to them). Leaving his rifle unattended way out of sight seemed pretty unsafe and there was some chance of it being stolen. Even though they'd already run us through the ringer and couldn't get us to do anything wrong while we were fishing, they apparently felt the need to check us out thoroughly, taking each fillet out of the plastic baggie and rubbing it down with their hands feeling for snags. How many fish do we catch that haven't been snagged at some point somewhere along the river? What they were trying to prove with all this I'm not sure. Of course, they had nothing to fault us for, so let us go after about 20 minutes.

We talked about it at length afterward and both felt the whole situation was in very poor taste, and felt a little violated. My buddy went to F&G in Soldotna or Kenai (can't remember for sure) and told them how he felt about the whole matter a day or two afterward.

I can see the necessity for being undercover; A LEO in green with a badge & a gun is seldom going to find people doing wrong. Seems to me me though in this case they pushed the limits of ethical, even bordering on entrapment.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    If you are not doing anything illegal, why would you care if a trooper is hiding somewhere and watching?
    Speechless. And you are an NRA life member? Then I guess you have nothing to hide by registering all your guns with the government? After all, if you are not a criminal, so why would you care? Just speechless as to your subjective support of freedoms and liberties. Wow.

I've always had respect for our troopers. As of late though, I've lost a lot of respect for them and the job they do. They seem to want to bust the balls of the small guys who don't have a legal team, but ignore it when those who are politically connected break the law. It's a shame too, when even the wildlife troopers say "those guys are off limits", when we report them breaking the law on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Speechless. And you are an NRA life member? Then I guess you have nothing to hide by registering all your guns with the government? After all, if you are not a criminal, so why would you care? Just speechless as to your subjective support of freedoms and liberties. Wow.
    +1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Ever notice how when uniformed LEO's show up certain people leave the dipnet or fishing area or just stop fishing for awhile?
    The best way to catch poachers/lawbreakers is to do this and I support it 100%.
    I have nothing to fear from them.
    So you don't think that law enforcement's job is to deter crimes, only to catch people committing them? Cops used to "protect and serve" by being upstanding citizens and having outstanding relationships with communities. Cops walked beats to DETER crime and keep people safer by being visible. Cops drove in traffic with gumball machines on top of their cars to DETER speeding and protect people from being hurt in crashes. Now, all any law enforcement does is is raise funds through busts and court fees, bail money, etc. Their only job is to justify their own jobs via fund raising.

Being sneaky and deceptive might be required for only a tiny percentage of wildlife crimes, but I prefer my liberty and freedom to move around without being hassled or watched. If you suspect me of a crime, then please interrupt my activities. But if you are just fishing for people to say something wrong that you can use out of context against them, then I have no use for you. I would rather have a few people get away with animal violations than to have a majority of people have to continuously prove their innocence to fundraisers with badges. I cherish my 4th and 5th Amendment rights.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    What he said.
    1984 becoming reality

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Why stop there? Isn't there a way he could submit his DNA to the government too? He's not doing anything wrong, so......

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast