Thread: First hunt ever - Adak. Looking for words of wisdom from y'all

Default First hunt ever - Adak. Looking for words of wisdom from y'all

Yup. That's right. This will be my first hunt ever. As in I've never been hunting before.....unless you count the poor animals I randomly targeted with my slingshot in middle school.

I've never field dressed an animal or shot at anything living (unless, once again, you count the above).
    I haven't been to Adak and have only seen caribou from the road.
    I'm in Anchorage, comfy in the outdoors, and have read all the info I can and have watched lots of videos on field dressing. Yes, I know how to use the 'search' function. I'm in the middle of buying gear and supplies for the trip.
    I'm going with my girlfriend and will be using a 30.06.
    We're going in late Oct. for 10 days and our goal is to get at least 1 to fill our freezer.

What words of wisdom does the forum have for me? Tips? Tricks? Dos? Donts? Recommendations?

I'm looking for anything as I feel I'm unprepared for this trip and concerned about my ability to adequately field dress and preserve meat. I am not planning to butcher it myself, but to bring it back to Anc. to let the pro's handle it.

Are you going to be staying out in the bush overnight or coming back in everyday to a cabin?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have been there, take your rain gear, oh yes take your rain gear, wind gear, did I mention your rain gear?? Real good comfy boots, lots of hiking, and packing gear, You can rent an ATV sometimes, but they are supposed to stay on the trails. A lot of the trails will not take an ATV. There has been a lot more hunting pressure the last few years, so the caribou are getting wise to the hunter pressure. They can be found in small herds, in the little valleys out of sight of the main trails, You will have to get off trail and look for them. It is tough walking in the tall grass, some little creeks are hidden by the tall grass and when you step into them, you will fall. There are quads in town you can rent, like a motel, or you can take camping gear and rough it, Make sure your tent is a 4 season, very durable tent, the wind will blow, oh yes did I mention the wind will blow. It is relentless at night, it broke our tent poles, flattened out tents, and the rain was coming down sideways. Everything got wet, bags and all. There is not much wood on the island for firewood, so take some type of fuel stove, it is hard to get fuel there, so I would recommend a stove that can burn gasoline, or call out there and see if anyone has propane available. There are a couple stores, one in the school, and one near the quads. Things might have changed since I was there and the native corp. took over more of the area. Good Luck It is fun.

Having grown up - or better stated came of age - out there Adak kills people that do not take it seriously. Most the time it just makes you miserable, cold and wet and the wind just adds to it all.

Make sure you have enough gear to keep your meat dry. Just a tarp may not work the best.

Field dressing a critter is not a big deal. Just follow the muscles and bones and a critter falls in to pieces.

I'll echo the wind and rain gear-don't recommend camping unless inside one of the ammo bunkers-but then you're close to everyone else. It's mostly solid ground, no tussocks but the tall grass can hide the little drainages. It's a beautiful place.

If you can, take a .22 or 20 gauge for ptarmigan. Your late October timing may put you in the end of the rut when the bulls are inedible-cows are tasty tho. If you shoot a caribou you'll be amazed at the eagles that join you to clean up the remains!

I was in Adak last fall and my hunting partner and I bot got 3 small ones. Very tasty. We weren't trophy hunting and it was a good thing too. We shot the biggest one we found and the antlers were shorter than my forearm. Adak is an awesomely unique hunt. When asked to describe my experience there I reply "Dear God, The Wind!" It never stops. The calmest we saw in 5 days was 40 mph. When crossing the mountain peaks it was near 100 mph and the direction varies every hundred feet or so. I kept getting knocked down by it. When the others here mention wind and rain gear they are serious! Bring a wind proof face mask and ski goggles. I enjoyed my time there and I plan on going back again to do some more hunting and exploring. I highly recommend renting a house. A warm shower and a washer and dryer every night makes the trip way more enjoyable. Plus the garage is a great place to hang your meat to keep it dry. We rented a four wheeler but next time we will rent an Argo. The guy we rented our house and wheeler from rents Argos with an enclosed cab. If I had known that I would have gladly spent the extra money for it. We used to atv to get away from town and then we started hiking. If you rent a vehicle make sure you are aware of the gas station hours. It is beautiful out there and it will be an experience you will never forget, good luck on your adventure.

Anyone ever done Adak in January? It appears my work schedule will not allow me to go until then this year. I'm aware it would be cows only and that's fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Anyone ever done Adak in January?
    Never done it, but I'd be willing to bet it's a bit colder and the wind blows a little harder around that time

I know.....I'm a smart ass..........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Anyone ever done Adak in January?
    A few.

It typically will be wet snow for a couple days then melt off at lower elevations. This cycle can repeat every few days. Most snow events result in white outs above sea level. You do not want to hike around in a white out there.

Some winters the snow will accumulate at sea level and stick for months.

Above 1000 feet there typically will be snow all winter. It's hard and icy with crust layers. Great for tubing, but not much else.

It will be cold and wet and windy.

AKRay,
    PM me, your link does not have a PM to send you a message, I was in Adak in the early 80's....
    BK

Read our Adak Caribou Page.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the replys everyone. Much appreciated!! If anyone wants to share housing, a couple of our friends bailed on us, so we are looking for others to join us. Pm me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Read our Adak Caribou Page.

Mike
    I have, many times. Just trying to supplement that wonderful page with first hand experience from the collective.