Thread: Tanana River from Fbks to Nenana?

Default Tanana River from Fbks to Nenana?

Can anyone tell me how many miles or how many hrs this float might take in a canoe say this coming weekend? Do you suppose there would be some nice gravel bars to camp on? It looks like most interior rivers are really low for this time of year. Any thoughts on this float would be appreciated. Thanks.

honesly thats probly a bad idea in my opinion. that tanana is pretty wild. its so murky and dangerous. i realize there really arent very many rapids or anything like that but thats not why its dangerous. hopfully your pretty good at canoeing because i think i am and looking at it i would never go on that river.

Didn't mean to come off harsh in that last post, sorry if I did. The Tanana seems just a little much for me. I hope if you do go you have a great time, with no problems.

schmidty

I think that I was told around sevevty river miles. Do not hold me to this i am not 100% sure. My mother did this twenty five years ago with another friend (no great amount of canoe time between them), when they used hold events and all kinds of people and boats would make the trip. My mom said it took any where from twelve to sixteen hours because they had a strong head wind all the way. I have been down river around thirty miles with a power boat and did not see any major problems. Becarful where you camp in case the river comes up in the night. Good luck.

JPost
    It's a relatively easy river, with predictable current. Get a Topo to use for orientation , don't forget the bug juice and head nets if you camp overnite.
    16 hrs of float time is about right.

I did it 5 or 6 times in the 70's by canoe. It's about as easy a canoe ride as there is in alaska. 12 hrs if you do some paddling.

I know that this post is a bit late but for those that are going to take a trip next year it is sixty miles from Fairbanks to Nenana depending on the wich channel you take. Just went all the way down yesterday and had a GPS with me. You might take a couple of miles for a side trip but around sixty miles would be about right.