Thread: Any Mr. Miyagi types want to bring a newbie hunting?

Default Any Mr. Miyagi types want to bring a newbie hunting?

Moose, Caribou, whatever...I'm comfortable in the woods (as in spent most of my youth in them), though never really hunted much though. I am an avid and quick learner and am never considered "baggage" on any kind of trip. I earn my keep so to speak. I have a wife and two year old to stock the freezer for, but no idea where to go, how to go about it etc. I have access to my Father-in-law's arsenal and i've got most of the equipment that i'd need. Thanks, Michael.

The real question here....can you wax on, wax off?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    Moose, Caribou, whatever...I'm comfortable in the woods (as in spent most of my youth in them), though never really hunted much though. I am an avid and quick learner and am never considered "baggage" on any kind of trip. I earn my keep so to speak. I have a wife and two year old to stock the freezer for, but no idea where to go, how to go about it etc. I have access to my Father-in-law's arsenal and i've got most of the equipment that i'd need. Thanks, Michael.
    I'll need you to paint my house, sand my deck and wash my cars first.

With access to the arsenal, (If you are not overly familiar with shooting and handling firearms), start now and be avid about it. Nothing will make you a one trip wonder faster than waving a gun barrel around in camp, or popping an easily shot animal in the wrong place leading to lost animal or long track job..

Guess I needed to say, former military, Cop and I shoot regularly. I don't feel that weapon safety can be overstated.

Do you have a tag to hunt in unit 13?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    Moose, Caribou, whatever...I'm comfortable in the woods (as in spent most of my youth in them),
    Just let me say that this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the woods in Alaska. And every time I read it I just cringe. I have known many a hunter that said they were good in the woods end up feeling that the Alaska bush absolutely kicked their ass...!!! I'm not ashamed to say it kicked mine a few times........and I was even young back then.

If you really want to see what you're made of, drive somewhere north out of Anchortown a ways, pull over somewhere you can't see a horizon, then head out for a couple mile walk.

PS....Make sure you know how to use your compass......in fact you may want to bring two....or three......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    PS....Make sure you know how to use your compass......in fact you may want to bring two....or three......
    If you own a compass worth owning, and know how to use it, you'll have no need for two or three. If you don't know how to use one, carrying multiples won't gain you anything.

Wax on, right hand...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lost your one and only compass? Think having a redundant backup is wise?

Part of knowing how to use a compass involves keeping it attached to your person via a lanyard at all times, so you don't lose it.

Mr. Miyagi use the same compass for past 35 years.

...Wax off, left hand.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think the point he's trying to make is when a person is lost he looks at the compass to tell him the direction to go to get back to the road. He does not believe it right so he need one or two more to make sure the first one is correct. IMO LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I think the point he's trying to make is when a person is lost he looks at the compass to tell him the direction to go to get back to the road. He does not believe it right so he need one or two more to make sure the first one is correct. IMO LOL
    I take it you've heard a few guys say that the reason they got lost was because their compass was broken...???.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I take it you've heard a few guys say that the reason they got lost was because their compass was broken...???.......lol
    Not really!! I do know three guys that got lost, one had a compass and then he lost the compass.

On another hunting trip my hunting partner met a guy that said he was lost and needed to know the direction back to the main trail. When he told him the direction to go the guy started to argue with him saying he was wrong and left. Never heard anyone being lost so he must have made it out. You just can't help some people.

What have you done to prepare your self to go hunting?
    How much time do you have to go hunting?
    Do you have an ATV,or boat?