Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing orange

Default Wearing orange

Do Alaskan hunters ever wear orange? In the lower 48, we never really hunt without orange. I feel a bit naked in Alaska without it.

When walking through dense bush, it sir makes out easier to see wear the rest of your hunting party is...

Or if going to track a wounded bear it seems like a good idea to be able to quickly differentiate between a bear and your partner..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nope cause majority of moose hunters dont walk through the woods they ride there wheelers through the woods...

It's pretty rare to see someone wearing orange when hunting up here. Many Alaskan hunters seem to feel the same way about wearing camo clothing as you seem to about wearing hunter's orange - feel a bit naked without it. Having lived down south as a kid, I recall that no one wore orange until state governments started mandating it in the late 70's and early 80's. Nothing stopping you from wearing it when you visit up here.

I take orange with me if I need it.....get in trouble, signaling, etc. We also use it as a marker to find our camo packs after a stalk

It depends on where I'm hunting... In a more congested area like the Steese or Denali I'll throw on some orange and put my kid in some orange as well.

Otherwise- not really. Of course I seldom wear any camo either.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I usually keep some orange handy while moose or caribou hunting. It can be useful to keep safe while packing meat or as a courtesy to other hunters. Often I am on foot where the wheeler guys are glassing from far away. The sooner they realize that they are wasting their time the better.

Edit: I have been wearing camo lately but mostly because I found a bunch of it for like 80% off and it functions well coloring aside.

I put some orange on when packing caribou antlers near the Denali Highway. I also put orange flagging tape all over the antlers.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

I don't wear camo, I have a camo back pack that I got for free and have almost lost it about a dozen times. I bring orange with me all the time for safety situations. If I get hurt, mark my kill sight, drape over the antlers, ect... I also bring orange or green tape to put on the antlers as well. My pack frame has a rain fly that is orange, generally I put the meat inside the fly if they aren't in bags yet that way I don't get blood everywhere! But it also shows on the sides when I am packing out and helps with people seeing me.18.jpg

Only orange that I wear is when carrying out game. I usually hunt in areas where other people do, so I like to put orange tape or a small flag on the antlers or meat when carrying them out. I also mark the kill site with orange tape. I do wear camo but its only because it looks cool

I kinda felt the same way when I moved up here. Coming from deer woods in Missouri you had to wear orange, and then you don't up here. as far as game is concerned, it really doesn't make a difference as long as you stay still. but i definitely agree with orange when hauling meat and antlers. without it crouching down to tie your shoe could be a good way to get shot. not everybody thinks first

I never wore it moose hunting, but always wear it in the Juneau area (Douglas Island and mainland especially) for deer. Way too many folks in pretty thick woods. And from what I've seen, lots of folks new to hunting that may be pointing muzzles (i.e. using their scopes) to check out what my motion was.

Bottom line is it won't hurt your chances on game, (as said, no one wears camo much anyway) but it could save your butt, and works for signalling, marking packs and kills, also as said.

I don't know if it's because folks carry guns so often in Alaska or what it is, but the worst gun handling, muzzle control, scope pointing, left loaded in boats/trucks etc. I've ever seen is here in AK. When I was growing up in WI, if you had a gun in your hands, your were hunting and the lethality of that weapon was very obvious. However, up here we're always packin em for bears or during hikes during a "maybe" time in a hunting season and I think it makes people lax.

The advantage for safety here though is that you do not need to walk around with one in the chamber, I have never lost a crack at nearly a half dozen moose, couple caribou and a bunch of deer due to needing to rack a round. Which is way unlike the ol whitetail woods where you walked around ready to shoot with a round in the chamber always due to their ridiculous skittish nature.

Wear the orange, leave the camo at home (unless it's some kind of high performance stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Bottom line is it won't hurt your chances on game, (as said, no one wears camo much anyway) but it could save your butt, and works for signalling, marking packs and kills, also as said..
    +1.... I like having at least something bright colored on when I'm out and about. Nothing increases your survival odds when the chips are down like taking the "Search" out of "Search and Rescue".

I also like a bright colored wheeler and tent (mine are yellow). Both are items I want to find with minimum hassle when things get crappy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I always wear it bird hunting (now) so moose hunters don't shoot me, I put it on my dog too. Like others have said I also wear it in more populated areas (Denali Highway, Wal-Mart, etc.) and carry flagging and pack covers which are orange. I wear cammo when i'm in places off the beaten path, mostly because all my "good" clothes only came in cammo and why not?

We spooked 1 caribou last weekend in orange and 2 others didn't care one bit, not sure what to make of that.

Nothing wrong with orange,wear it some. Most times I wear red&black check wool jacket
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Critter eyes are engineered differently than ours so they see a different spectrum of light. So blaze orange might not look bright to a deer even though we see it well. Conversely the same deer might see a new pair of blue jeans as brightly as we see the blaze. When I am trying to hide from critters I try to choose a combination of nuetral and faded colors. I think camo stuff can be quite useful sometimes but overrated by some for hunting in Alaska. It is difficult for us humans to understand but often the critters believe thier noses before their eyes anyway.

So I guess what I am getting at is that both orange and camo have thier place but neither will hinder or help as much as some believe. I'd advise anyone to wear orange where safety from bipedal predators is a factor though.

( I am certainly no expert but I often wonder if they just see a color to them out of place)

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Critter eyes are engineered differently than ours so they see a different spectrum of light. So blaze orange might not look bright to a deer even though we see it well. Conversely the same deer might see a new pair of blue jeans as brightly as we see the blaze. When I am trying to hide from critters I try to choose a combination of nuetral and faded colors. I think camo stuff can be quite useful sometimes but overrated by some for hunting in Alaska. It is difficult for us humans to understand but often the critters believe thier noses before their eyes anyway.

So I guess what I am getting at is that both orange and camo have thier place but neither will hinder or help as much as some believe. I'd advise anyone to wear orange where safety from bipedal predators is a factor though.

I often times use an orange hat, can be good to have on when packing out or if you need to mark something to find it later... Nice if you are walking or stalking and have a spotter helping you, they can see you better/ you can see them on the hillside better too if they have one on... just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    It is difficult for us humans to understand but often the critters believe thier noses before their eyes anyway.
    That was definately my experience last weekend. A pair of caribou about 400 yards uphill looked at us and got a little nervous but kept feeding until I closed in at about 250 yards and the wind shifted, their noses shot up and they were gone over the mountain within 30 seconds!

The wife was in a bright orange coat and I was wearing a bright green shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    In the lower 48, we never really hunt without orange. I feel a bit naked in
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe in Wisconsin everyone wears orange but you will see very few hunters wearing orange in the south.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    Do Alaskan hunters ever wear orange? In the lower 48, we never really hunt without orange. I feel a bit naked in Alaska without it.
    Don't you really mean to say you feel a bit scared in Alaska without it....???.....lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast