Thread: Airmar TM260 Install

Question Airmar TM260 Install

As part of my planned electronics upgrade, I just picked up a transom mtd 1kw Airmar TM260 transducer. Does anyone have any sage advice, words of wisdom, warnings, second thoughts etc about mounting them? As big as they are, I'm curious if they are a magnet for fishing line tangles, sticks and such hitting them while you are underway or clipping a bunk while loading/offloading?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I put a TM260 on my Ocean Sport Roamer and have had no problems at all. No line tangles, no hits, no kick ups and it works really well. I also upgraded to a GSD 24 at the same time and it is a great improvement over the GSD 22. Go for it!

The GSD24 is next on the list.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Have been using a TM260 for three years now. It made a huge change in what we can see in deep water. Was worried about protecting it from damage while traveling down the highway and also if the boat needed to be on the beach for some reason. Setting that expensive transducer down on a rock would be a real bummer. Made this apparatus so I could raise the transducer up 5". Kind of a lot of work to go through to get it set up ..... but now it is easy to raise it out of the way when needed. Mount has to be pretty solid so the transducer doesn't have too much movement .... so you get a nice clean reading.

Charterboat Operator

content___media_external_images_media_139 (3).jpgI like that Cormit, couldn't do it with mine but what a great idea. it is kinda scary with the boat on the beach, too many $$ there to get messed up, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    I put a TM260 on my Ocean Sport Roamer and have had no problems at all. No line tangles, no hits, no kick ups and it works really well. I also upgraded to a GSD 24 at the same time and it is a great improvement over the GSD 22. Go for it!
    I just upgraded to the GSD22 from the 21 and it was a vast improvement... I can not imagine what a 24 with a 1000K watt transducer does for you...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Posts like these make me both hate and love this forum. I'm so confused right now. I've been contemplating getting the 260 all summer as my original P.O.S. just doesn't cut it. A buddy of mien installed one on his Hewes 240 and had issued with cavitation on one motor due to the mounting of the 260. We had to move it over a bit to get it to run better. I guess that's an issue on a twin motor setup.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Charterboat Operator

ROB, i run counter rotating twins, and have almost no issues, even running speeds up to about 50 mph, when i feel rich $$,
    the only time I have issues is when hard in reverse, but i have had that problem with all of my transducers,
    now all i want to know is what is a GSD 21 or 24??

GSD 21,22,23 etc are all Garmin black box depth sounders. They connect to the chart plotter and provide the depth data.... and they get more expensive the bigger the number is.. 21 was the last analog version, everything after that uses the Garmin marine network to connect.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Posts like these make me both hate and love this forum. I'm so confused right now. I've been contemplating getting the 260 all summer as my original P.O.S. just doesn't cut it. A buddy of mien installed one on his Hewes 240 and had issued with cavitation on one motor due to the mounting of the 260. We had to move it over a bit to get it to run better. I guess that's an issue on a twin motor setup.

Not to worry. All transducers take a time to get set up right ......... single motor or twins ...... it won't matter. It will work fine if you follow Airmar's installation procedures and recommendations carefully.

Cormit that is one nice installation. I'm going to mount mine direct to the tab on the transom or put a piece of 1/2" ldpe between the tab & transducer. JR2 what plotter are you using with the GSD 24? I have a 4208 that is my main plotter. Rob the GSD 21 & 22 are analog sounders, 24 is digital & 26 is CHIRP. The 22 costs about $250; the 24 costs about $600 & the 26 costs around $2000! I won't be mounting the 260 until I get the boat home from Seward next month & I'll post some pics when I get it done.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have a gsd22 and a 3206 plotter.. Have dreams of a chirp capable plotter but can't justify the $$

Sent from my phone while I should be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Rob, I have a hewes 240 and welded on another mounting plate just to the starboard side of the keel, pretty much in between the two motors...works great.