Thread: Off the lands?

Default Off the lands?

The following is for my 7mm WSM, 168gr Berger VLD's with 65gr of H1000. How far off the lands should I be from the Ogive? I know my OAL from my bolt face to my lands and grooves and I also know the Max COAL I can use with my rifle. Also how do I determine this distance for future reference with other bullets? I have a comparator to make sure I get it right, just don't know what right is. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by B4guy View Post
    The following is for my 7mm WSM, 168gr Berger VLD's with 65gr of H1000. How far off the lands should I be from the Ogive? I know my OAL from my bolt face to my lands and grooves and I also know the Max COAL I can use with my rifle. Also how do I determine this distance for future reference with other bullets? I have a comparator to make sure I get it right, just don't know what right is. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My experience has shown Berger VLDs like to be in the lands--or as near to them as I can or dare. Only way to know for certain is give it a try.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

With VLD style bullets you may run out of magazine length before you get into the lands. As the ogive is much longer than a regular Cor-Lokt style bullet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Just remember that pressure goes up as you seat closer to the lands. I usually start .015" off the lands with the minimum load, and try 3-5 shot groups of .030" and .045" off the lands as well. Once you find your best seating depth, you can work up to the velocity/pressure you're happy with.

With most factory rifles, a lot of chamberings will not let you seat VLD type bullets to the lands and still be able to use the magazine, as was already mentioned. This will likely be true of your 7 WSM since it is most likely in a short action. What I did to compensate for this in my 300 WSM was to put one cartridge down in the top of the magazine with the nose protruding just above the mag box. I put one in the chamber so I had a follow up shot if I needed it. Some people don't like hunting with one in the chamber and if you're in that group, you'll only be able to rack one shot and then manually feed from there.

I just had a 6.5 WSM built and I used a long action to do it and there are no issues.

If you want your cartridges to fit in your magazine, you are going to have a limited seating range with the VLD bullets if you have the standard factory short action.

All that said, depending on your rifle and load, you may not have any accuracy problems seating a ways back from the lands. My good rifles were not that picky about seating depth. However, Berger VLD's can sometimes be finicky about jump to the lands.

Here's a good resource from Berger on fine tuning a load using their bullets.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...r-rifle-40204/
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Thanks for all the info guys.