Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another opener!

Default Another opener!

Well it's getting down to hours now. Going to do my final packing tonight and go over my checklist for the last time. Ruby has been looking at me with those "Is it time yet?" eyes for the last couple of weeks and I almost drove off the road the other day following a flock of geese. While I enjoy fishing, deer and bear hunting there is NOTHING in the world I'd rather be doing next Sunday than sitting in a blind with a good buddy, my lab shaking with anticipation watching that first group of the year to come in. Hope you all have a great opener and stay safe out there!

dave
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Dave, I feel the same way that you do about it. Love to sit there and watch mallards circle and come in for a landing. But, I still have a few little things to do to get ready, and will go moose hunting tomorrow. Would be nice to get that out of the way so I don't have to switch back and fourth between ducks and moose in Sept. Bud
    Wasilla

We have one last scouting trip planned for tomorrow morning, some blinds to mud, and guns to clean. other than that myself and partners are ready to roll! I'm gonna leave the pup at home though, this will be his first year to hunt. I don't want to overload him on opening day. But on monday you can bet money he will be there.

I'll be working till Wednesday night so I took my time home to get everything packed and loaded in my sled. All I have to do on Thursday morning is fill the thermos grab the gun from the safe and grab my blind bag and I'm out the door. Gonna check my spot Wednesday night and make sure there are still ducks there so I can roll out early Thursday morning and hopefully have one or two on the strap by 7 am. It's killing me to miss the opener so I want to see pics and hear stories by Sunday afternoon of how it was

Sent while hiding from the boss

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I'll be working till Wednesday night...
    Tony if you're on the Slope I think we're on the same flight. I did much of the same thing as you.
    1. Clean gun...check
    2. Clean/touch-up/string/bag decoys...check
    3. Bucket w/ snap-top cushion...check
    4. Shells...check
    5. Clothes pulled out/pockets checked for abandoned sandwiches from last season...check

Most of my stuff is laid out in the garage so when I head out Thursday morning I only need to grab my gun, the dog, the camera, and go
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Tony if you're on the Slope I think we're on the same flight. I did much of the same thing as you.
    1. Clean gun...check
    2. Clean/touch-up/string/bag decoys...check
    3. Bucket w/ snap-top cushion...check
    4. Shells...check
    5. Clothes pulled out/pockets checked for abandoned sandwiches from last season...check

Most of my stuff is laid out in the garage so when I head out Thursday morning I only need to grab my gun, the dog, the camera, and go
    No I work on the rigs here in the inlet.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Dave, I feel the same way that you do about it. Love to sit there and watch mallards circle and come in for a landing. But, I still have a few little things to do to get ready, and will go moose hunting tomorrow. Would be nice to get that out of the way so I don't have to switch back and fourth between ducks and moose in Sept. Bud

Bud,

Hope you get the moose hunt "outta the way" so you can concentrate on the important stuff ... Don't know if folks heard it but a really great hour discussion on duck hunting yesterday. Charles Wohlfold always has such interesting shows. Check it out http://www.alaskapublic.org/2013/08/23/duck-hunting/

They talked quite a bit about the "how" of duck hunting but the part that I found most interesting were how traditions wove in and out of thier duck hunts. Lots about family and friends.

We had a very successful waterfowl season last year but the memory that will stay with me for the rest of my life was when I stopped hunting for about 30 minutes and just watched my son (who has hunting with me for years) and my brother (who is new to waterfowling) as several flocks of mallards came into our spread. There were quite a few missed shots, but at one point four drakes were dead on the water with more birds coming in, me not sure which bird to send Ruby afterwhen and when things finally cooled down and all the feathers had floated down, we all just laid back and laughed at how fast and furious it had been. And I hadn't fired a shot.

Banned

Good little show for all AK fowlers to hear. The best part was about tradition being most important. So where is it that you hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Swamp Man View Post
    Good little show for all AK fowlers to hear. The best part was about tradition being most important. So where is it that you hunt?
    I have a buddy that has a duck shack across the inlet so we'll spend the first couple of weekends there. After that it's off to our honey hole which I worked too hard to figure out to post on a public forum. Different types of hunting-across the inlet is mostly pass shooting over shallow ponds and our HH is mostly over decoys in the salt but both are enjoyable in thier own way.

Don't forget your duck stamps!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Its not open til 9-16 here so don't shoot them all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its not open til 9-16 here so don't shoot them all.
    I can't speak for the other six or seven folks who will be out there for opening day but I only shoot the slow fat birds.... and I usually only shoot if they are swimming against the current-which cuts down dramatically on the amount of leading needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    I can't speak for the other six or seven folks who will be out there for opening day but I only shoot the slow fat birds.... and I usually only shoot if they are swimming against the current-which cuts down dramatically on the amount of leading needed.
    Can't figure out how to add rep on the tapatalk app but you have some on the way. We were going to make a water swat montage with our go pro this year
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Banned

If you do good on Mallards at either spot, as your first post suggested, that's good. Mallards have become my favorite over the years. Smartest quarry in Alaska and they respond sometimes to calls. (ha-ha) On the Hayflats there is not an over abundance of them.

Remember now, all you guys who have never hunted Alaska before. Our Mallards up here are different then Mallards in the rest of the states. Mallard up here don't have green heads, just a motley dullish greenish brown heads. Genetics in Alaska are different, but in early Oct, the Greenhead Mallards migrate north to Alaska before they go south to the lower 48, and then the lucky ones who brave the cold and frigid winds may get some real Greenhead Mallards. Bud
    Wasilla

Banned

Bud, I understand those Mallards know how to shoot a shotgun? Genetics and Migration to Alaska? Maybe they are Russian Mallards and a steady diet of Vodka makes them motley and dullish?

I went out to my blind yesterday to brush it up. I was getting a twitchy trigger finger just sitting there watching empty skies but knowing Sunday will bring a few birds.

Default No hunting for me =(

Girlfriend just gave the dog a bath (actually I gave the dog a bath at her direction) because family was coming to visit. I'm not allowed to get the dog muddy for 2 weeks.

However, I've been hearing flocks fly over my house recently (I live very close to Coastal Refuge), so I'm thinking I might shoot a few from my bedroom window and send the dog into the neighbors' yards to bring them back for me.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Remember now, all you guys who have never hunted Alaska before. Our Mallards up here are different then Mallards in the rest of the states. Mallard up here don't have green heads, just a motley dullish greenish brown heads. Genetics in Alaska are different, but in early Oct, the Greenhead Mallards migrate north to Alaska before they go south to the lower 48, and then the lucky ones who brave the cold and frigid winds may get some real Greenhead Mallards. Bud
    Bud,
    I'm not sure if you're joking but...the dullish drakes are still juveniles.
    A drake Mallard doesn't get his full adult plumage until 14 months of age. Being that our south-central duck-hunting haunts are only a week's travel from the breeding grounds and most ducks hatch in late May/early June, by fall we're killing lots of males that brood-of-the-year and only 3 or 4 months old.

I work at Alpine and saw several greenheads (mated pairs, actually) in the ponds around camp. Those adults will fly south but will be outnumbered by their immature offspring.

To that end, I repainted several of my Mallard dekes to sport dark heads. My small spread will have one greenhead drake and 3 blackheads, a bunch of hens, some feeder butts, a few GW teal, and a pair each of Pintails and Widgeon.

Now if my calling and shooting doesn't suck too bad maybe I can give my pup something to fetch.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Bud,
    I'm not sure if you're joking but...the dullish drakes are still juveniles.
    A drake Mallard doesn't get his full adult plumage until 14 months of age. Being that our south-central duck-hunting haunts are only a week's travel from the breeding grounds and most ducks hatch in late May/early June, by fall we're killing lots of males that brood-of-the-year and only 3 or 4 months old.

I work at Alpine and saw several greenheads (mated pairs, actually) in the ponds around camp. Those adults will fly south but will be outnumbered by their immature offspring.

To that end, I repainted several of my Mallard dekes to sport dark heads. My small spread will have one greenhead drake and 3 blackheads, a bunch of hens, some feeder butts, a few GW teal, and a pair each of Pintails and Widgeon.

Now if my calling and shooting doesn't suck too bad maybe I can give my pup something to fetch.
    Eric,

Don't forget eclipse plumage too! When drakes molt, they lose the sharp color distinction between them and hens. The main reason our drakes of any species look like hens is because our season begins in September, before their full colors have grown back in. By October it's a different story.

BTW, "akblackdawg" either has a great sense of humor or is greatly misinformed...

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast