Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Lycoming 160 hp

Default Where to buy Lycoming 160 hp

Total newbie to airboats, I've only been on one my whole life. My wife won't let me buy one, but she said I could build (because she thinks I already have too many projects...ha! Anyway, I looked at a 14 footer the other day that had one of these engines on there, and I think I could actually build it if I knew where to get an engine. So, does anyone know where to get one, or if there is a better comparable (horse power) option out there? Thanks for any help.

Me I Would Build One With A Chevy Motor One There Easy To Get Parts For Two There Cheaper To Buy Parts For Three You Don't Need Avgas To Run Them And Four You Can Hook A Heat To Them To Keep You Warm.

I liked the Lycoming because you just bolted the prop to the engine, I don't know too much about reduction gears or belts. Is there a good source to research that stuff.

What Would You Like To Know. 907-322-3291

With a chevy motor you never be under powered. Parts are cheaper less fuel. You can build pretty nice 350 for what a timed 160 costs
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

You don't need Avgas in a Lycoming engine. There used to be an 80/88 unleaded STC that let you legally run car fuel in your airplane. A Lycoming will run fine on regular octane.

Those other parts, don't hink I can argue. Aklthough, I will say this, that Lycoming will be a LOTTTT lighter and a LOTTTTT simpler, and a LOTTTT more reliable. Of course, I'm coming from an aviation background, not an airboat background.

I had an airboat with a Lycoming O-540 in it with a serious over heating problem. I could not find anyone to work on it without pay certified prices. And when I found parts the price was out of my price range. But you are right, you do not need to burn 100LL in the Lycoming. So I got rid of that boat and bought one with a Chevy 350. And I will tell you they can be underpowered. My motor is a NAPA crate engine (about 230 hp) and really need at least a Marine 350 (330 or so HP).

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You don't need Avgas in a Lycoming engine. There used to be an 80/88 unleaded STC that let you legally run car fuel in your airplane. A Lycoming will run fine on regular octane.

Those other parts, don't hink I can argue. Aklthough, I will say this, that Lycoming will be a LOTTTT lighter and a LOTTTTT simpler, and a LOTTTT more reliable. Of course, I'm coming from an aviation background, not an airboat background.

You can build an airboat your self, you will also be modifying it for many years. I could go on and on with all the problems you will have with building an airboat. If you know what to look for you will find problem with airboat built by professional. Go to http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB...ch_id=newposts for more information.

I also agree you should use a Chevy 350 engine and a reducer, not any 350 but one that is design and built to push the prop you have.

Skip builds them, runs them, repairs them, and you can learn alot from taking him up on his offer to talk to him.
    I also advise you to look at Southernairboat.com and do some reading.
    BK

I have a core narrow deck 0-320 (150hp) I'd part with. Rebuilding airplane engines is easy. Upping the hp to 160 is just a matter of higher compression pistons. There's a little more involved for a certificated airplane but experimental guys are pushing narrow decks pretty hard with good results.

Lycoming 160 hp engines were not certificated for the 80/87 octane, so they may not fare well on the low grade unleaded. Likely fine if you run premium 91 or 93 though.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Why would a guy using a Lycoming on an airboat care what it's certificated for? It'll run fine on mogas.

I think he is stating facts vs. what they actually do. No sense in screwing up a perfectly good engine if it's not designed to run lower octane gas.
    BK

Have you ever burned regular pump gas in your airplanes? Just wondering. Truth is, they seem to run fine. The common thinking is that they need some leaded gas every once in a while to help the valve seats. What RPM are guys typically using when running aircraft engines in airboats?

Mr. Pid,
    Don't know about airplane engines, I run a 502 BBC.
    In fact, I don't know anybody who runs a plane motor.
    BK

I know a guy that's got a zero hour engine if your interested I can pass you his number, PM me if you want it.

Petersen's STC does say to run an occasional load of AVGAS. But the STC for the 160 requires minimum octane of 91 even for Mogas to avoid detonation. But perhaps you're right, if the airboat operators are going to be running most of the time at reduced power detonation may not be an issue for them.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Getting back to the subject of where to buy AC motors for airboat use. There are lots and lots of airports in Alaska, they are all over, and more planes per capita then anyplace else. I'm sure that by stopping and posting notices on bulletin boards at small airports, or asking airplane repair facilities, one could find a good running timed out motor that will last for years in airboat use. Guys in florida do that and buy used motors on a regular basis that are no longer considered air worthy. Bud
    Wasilla

A run-out engine core is worth what, $8K to Lycoming when the airplane guy wants a factory reman? It used to be $6K but I heard it was up to $8K, anyway. Wide decks in particular will be hard to buy on the cheap.

If your interested I will be selling my motor off my airboat is a 350. 330 horse. 287 hours. Im upgrading to L92 build by gto airboats.

If you haven't call skip he's great with questions and knowledge of what's works and don't,
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast