Thread: Hayflats report

Banned

Default Hayflats report

Out there today and yes, there seem to be a lot less ducks for this time of year. The water even with the rain is real low and the hot summer made for extra weeds growing. And thick! Seems like a lot of Widgeon again and Shovelers. Pintails seem to be in good numbers for what is out there. The bandit thug seagulls are mostly gone and have done their dirty work for sure making life miserable for baby ducklings all summer. Those with some know how will do Ok, sunshine opening day fowlers not so much.

Banned

Now that I think about it the water was not as low as 2 weeks ago, I think all the weeds just made it seem like it.

I was out there today also, lake is much more normal after the high water of last year. and yes, lots more weeds. wish i had a mud motor this year, i know my little briggs is going to struggle pushing me along while being chocked by weeds. wonder what would happen if i took off the prop and sharpened it, would the prop cut though the weeds rather then getting choked by the weeds. Bud
    Wasilla

The stuff i hunt as of a couple weeks ago was real low as well. And it's funny you mentioned lower duck number this year, i was thinking the same thing. Come Hell or High Water i'll be out on the 1st and 2nd though, missed all but the first week last year due to deployment. I got some catching up to do.

Bud-
    Weld or attach a short piece of somewhat sharpened metal on the prop housing, lower unit, that partially extends past the hub into lower plane of the propeller but does not interfere with propeller rotation-it will shear weeds right off and works pretty slick.

Bud-
    Sorry, not enough coffee this morning and I should have been more descriptive on the metal cutter attachment. I use about 1/8 inch flat stainless bar strip about 2-2.5 inches in length and about 3/4-1 inch in width; sharpen both sides of the 1/3-1/2 inch that protrudes past the hub into the rotating plane of the propeller-that way it will cut weeds in both forward and reverse. You can adapt the dimensions to the motor size and a slight longitudinal bend to conform to the curvature of the hub housing will secure it best. Hardest part is keeping the cutting bar attached due to the torque and when heavy weeds sometimes lock it up-it cuts best at high rpm blasting through weed patches. Be careful when reaching around the propeller to remove weeds when necessary-it cuts fingers as well as it does weeds.

How do you attach "the cutter"? I have seen these on short tail mud motors. Thought about putting one on my Johnson but was unsure how to attach it. Do you have any pictures?

thanks