Thread: Mat-Su Lakes

Exclamation Mat-Su Lakes

New in the area and looking for a quick list of lakes (other than the obvious finger lake and big lake that have fish (land locked silvers, trout, pike, etc.). Just got a new boat and looking to get it out. Thanks

Default Yeah....me too!

I'm looking for a lake someplace in the Valley to wet a line this weekend. Just me, a truck, and a dog...so nothing too out of the way please. Looking for some bobber and relaxation action, just something to get the excitement level started for the "combat" season. What's the deal with Pike up here? In Michigan we used to love to catch them...it's just the fileting that is the trick. They are great tasting! When and where do I find them?

Thanks... H

pike are in nacy lakes
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

H - You can find pike by hiking into Red Shirt Lake up north of Wasilla. There are also some pike in Sand Lake in Anchorage and Fire Lake in Eagle River, though they have been illegally planted there and F&G are trying to eradicate them. There are also lots of great fly-in options for pike (Alexander Lake, Figure 8 Lake, etc.), but I think that Red Shirt might be one of the better options on foot.

By the way, welcome to the forums - hope you enjoy the site!

Default Thanks...

I've heard Red Shirt is a great area. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the info and thanks for the warm welcome. Can we get hunt ak his list he was looking for? I hate to steal his thread... We can't let his new boat sit too long. Man how I miss the days of lake fishing in a boat for Crappies and Blue Gils. Good Luck Hunt AK!

Holli

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...l/lakemtsu.stm

Here is a list of all the stocked lakes in the matsu area, with small maps, topo, and test net samplings. Good luck!

Thanks tom, exactly what I was looking for. Great resource!

Have fun, if you feel like it let us know where you fished and what ya caught

You can also go into any sporting good store or Walley World and there is a Mat-Su Sport Fishing Map.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Fileting is the trick....

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsFish2 View Post
    I'm looking for a lake someplace in the Valley to wet a line this weekend. Just me, a truck, and a dog...so nothing too out of the way please. Looking for some bobber and relaxation action, just something to get the excitement level started for the "combat" season. What's the deal with Pike up here? In Michigan we used to love to catch them...it's just the fileting that is the trick. They are great tasting! When and where do I find them?

Thanks... H
    Pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The AF&G website has a flyer showing how its done. I learned from my Mom in Wisconsin though as a kid how to filet a Northern (Pike here) the boneless way.

http://www.ontariofishing.net/news/newsmar2001-4.htm

back there Northerns were my fave sportfish, so I hear ya!

My hubby just bought me a sticker, and one for each of our girls that says "girls fish too, alaska" in Girdwood somewhere... haha
    Last edited by faemystique; 05-23-2007 at 01:50. Reason: a link for the fileting

i caught my first two pike ever today, on orange and silver little cleo and pink pixies at sand lake in anchorage as a trout fisherman, please take this advice and kill as many pike as you can i thought it would be fun because they are supposed to be ferocious, but they didnt hit hard at all and just lay there as i dragged them in they were a little small so that might have had something to do with it im not hating on your favorite fish, but our friendly little trout are apparently not much of a match

Tom, we caught some 'bow on Wolf lake. All the girls left with smiles while us guys got skunked!! figures!

You can see that they werent huge fish (biggest was 21" pictured last)
    but we had a blast hanging out with friends and family and thats the name of the game!!

Not bad at all. If you go out again, give big beaver lake a shot. Go out about 1/3 to 1/2 way, and troll the lake from side to side with some shrimp. You'll catch a LOT of trout. I caught a nice 27" rainbow there last summer.