Thread: Muzzle break for Weatherby Mark V Stainless

Default Muzzle break for Weatherby Mark V Stainless

I have a weatherby mark v 340. Its the full Stainless version. Thinking about throwing a muzzle break on it. Any info on who does a good job and a rough price would be appreciated.

Just my opinion but I will mention Magna-Port. Internal, no cutting to the barrel, no threads.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'd take it to a Weatherby Service Center and have an Accubrake installed if I were so inclined.

I have a long standing hatred of brakes but a degenerative disk in my neck has me rethinking the matter a little more these days.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Is there a local weatherby service center? Trying to keep it local

Last week I shot my first .378 Mark V. A nurse I know who is a rabid fan of the .378 wanted me to go out with him and shoot his new POF .308, and he also took the .378 for me to shoot. I aproached this with great trepidation due to all the stuff on the internet about the .378's vicious jab, and the rifles light weight.

I stood behind him as he touched off the first shot. I felt the concussion all through my sinus cavities, it wasn't pleasant, but noticed he moved almost not at all. So I line up and pop off a shot. It was like a .30'06. Really. But even with plugs and muffs on, the muzzle blast was/is terrific. He told me he had an Answer muzzle brake on his.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Breaks do make a huge difference in reduction and noise! Especially on my 460 weatherby and 378 weatherby.

Nitro confirm the break was called an answer break?

Yes, that is what he told me.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have an older KDF installed on my 375 H&H. seems pretty effective and I dont get much POI shift when I take it off for hunting. would guess you are going to have to cut loose of a couple hundred bucks these days to have your barrel threaded and the break put on but dont really know as its been a decade or more since mine was done. Steve U over there on Old Seward next to Wiggies does good work, as does Andy Hawk and Wild West Guns. Fairly strait forward gunsmithing task to install a brake I would think.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Good idea, I'll ask Steve. WWG charges and arm and a leg for anything they do.

You might also consider Stan Jackson - it is a little know fact that he used to make the muzzle brakes for Jim West. I have an Answer Brake on a Rem AWR in 7mm RUM. It not only makes less noise than most but recoils less then a 7-08 I have.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

My 340 kicked like a mule so I sent my 340 back to Weatherby in California for the accubrake to be installed. They left tool marks on the barrel so I wasn't very happy with the job they did. If I were to do it again i'd just go to a local gunsmith to get it done. The only good thing I like about it, is that I can take it off when hunting. Now if I can only find the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    You might also consider Stan Jackson - it is a little know fact that he used to make the muzzle brakes for Jim West. I have an Answer Brake on a Rem AWR in 7mm RUM. It not only makes less noise than most but recoils less then a 7-08 I have.
    I shot a buddies 338 win mag with one if Stan's brakes on it and it was very easy in the shoulder! Definitely loud, especially if I'm sitting next to him holding binos watching the goat he is shooting. If I was in the market for a full brake I would go to Stan. I would consider magnaport if I was primarily trying to control muzzle rise on a light rifle.

Thanks for all the advice. How do I get ahold of Stan Jackson. Never met him but have heard the name, always good things. He have a website? Storefront?