Thread: Browning BLR - 358 Winchester or 325 WSM?

Default Browning BLR - 358 Winchester or 325 WSM?

I'm looking to add to my gun cabinet (don't really need to, but is there anything more enjoyable than buying new guns?) by purchasing a Browning BLR in either 325 WSM or 358 Winchester. I'm looking to create a fast handling short action firearm for hunting elk/moose in heavier cover (max shot distance likely 250 meters, most much closer) that could also handle Sir Grizzly should a negative encounter occur.

I'm partial to the 358 Winchester because of the lighter recoil (from published data at least) and the fact it is an "oddball round" - I like that. However, I don't reload so ammunition could be an issue.

The 325 WSM is a very potent cartridge, but not sure if it would recoil like a mule in a light setup like the BLR with a small low profile scope.

Anyone with experience with these calibers - feel free to add your $0.02.

I don't like Browning. A buddy had several and all of them proved less than worthy.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Brownings have worked very well for me and I have full confidence in them. More interested in feedback on the two calibers in question.

Not sure about the difference in weight between an x bolt and a blr, but my x bolt in 325 is pretty heavy in the recoil department

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have the BLR in .358. Never had a problem with the gun. Short rifle, handles well. It kicks but is manageable with the stock recoil pad. Big fat bullet, decent performance. It has put down every black bear I pointed it at with one shot. Not as accurate as my bolt guns but it is able to throw a bunch of silver tips downrange quickly.

Load my .358 with 225 grain noslers. Real nice having a light powerful short range (125 yards) weapon.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I shoot the 325 in a Browning Mountain TI that weighs in around 6 pounds and it is not a problem. Randy