Thread: bears & rain

Default bears & rain

I am scheduled to go to beluga to hunt for a week, starting friday, according to the forecast it is supposed to start raining on friday and continue for a week. With the moon becoming full I was hoping to sit on stand throughout the night, what impact will the rain have on the bears?? What should I do differently, or is it business as usual?

Wink Put Him Down And Keep Him Down!

Quote Originally Posted by gobblinfool View Post
    I am scheduled to go to beluga to hunt for a week, starting friday, according to the forecast it is supposed to start raining on friday and continue for a week. With the moon becoming full I was hoping to sit on stand throughout the night, what impact will the rain have on the bears?? What should I do differently, or is it business as usual?
    I"m no expert on hunting bears, but you need good rain gear, fleece ect., and try to break his shoulders with the first shot. You will have a bad time looking for a blood trail in heavy rain! Bears don"t like the rain, IMHO but after days of it they have got to eat.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I am no expert by any means, but it has been my observation that bears seem to hunker down when it rains. I once guided a guy in unit 9, in bruin bay after some browns. It rained non-stop for 8 days. We didn't see anything moving the whole entire time. On the 9th day, a high pressure system came through our way, sky turned clear and we saw 4 browns before 10:00 a.m. Tagged out before noon with a nice 8 1/2 ft chocolate.

Thumbs up rainy day bears

My experience is also in suit with Bushwhack Jack's. I've seen way more bears on fair to really nice days then I've ever seen on rainy days. They get hungry and go eat for sure, but typically not far from cover, if at all. Still hunt them on good trails with fresh sign or hunt them like you plan on doing anyways, you never know. A bear will do what a bear will do during rainy days. Hard to really say, I say go for it like business as usual. If it pans out, good on ya. If it doesn't look promising after about 3 days, then change tactics. My .02... Good luck and shoot straight!

Never seen rain to bother them much, but wind is another matter altogether. I'd hunt if it's rainy, but stay dry in the cabin if it's rainy AND windy.

Default Rain

We are hunting PWS right now. We were seeing bears everyday until it started raining Tuesday. We did not see another bear until the rain stopped yesterday. Within a hour I saw a nice Brownie boar. Put on the stalk and got him. While skinning him we watched two Blackies up high. So I would have to agree that the rain slow things down.

Steve