Thread: Got my portable blind built

Default Got my portable blind built

Finally finished a project that I have been planning all summer. I needed a blind that I could take down and put up easily so the parks guys don't tear it down. Now I can also move spots around easily enough. It takes me about 15 minutes by my self to put it up and that was the first time so it's fairly simple. I did it out of 3/4 inch pvc because I couldn't find enough 1" so hopefully it will hold up to the wind. I also built it a little bit tall that way I can drive it down into the marsh a bit and help hold it in place. Total weight is about 16lbs and I color coded the joints for easier assembly in the mornings. I have a sled that I drag out and I built it so that I could put the sled on the inside and have something firm to sit on and someplace dry to put my bag and other stuff. The blind is 6'x4' and would easily hunt two. I have steaks so if the wind comes up I can steak it out and keep it more steady in a wind. The joints I didn't glue are tight so I can just press them together for now but have other plans if it won't stay together but for now it is all tight. To hold on the camo netting I made bungee loops and painted them darker so they didn't stick out. This seems to work a lot better than the zip ties I did it first with. Also the netting seems to make it a bit more rigid.
    In all I have almost 200$ into it I wanted it to be cheaper but if it works then every penny will be worth it.. I'll find out next Thursday how well it works. I am hoping for the best.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Well done! Looks like we were channeling each other! I came up with a similar design, more of a lean-to, but similar concept of leaving the posts long so they couls be driven down into the mud/sand/marsh/muck etc.

Serious question: How do you get in and out?

(I'll post pics when I can find my thumb-drive)
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I like it. Should work well for you.
    Makes me want to build one myself for certain areas I have been thinking about hunting with a friend or two.
    My wife bought me a layout blind for christmas though so I am going to give it a try this year.
    Can't wait.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Well done! Looks like we were channeling each other! I came up with a similar design, more of a lean-to, but similar concept of leaving the posts long so they couls be driven down into the mud/sand/marsh/muck etc.

Serious question: How do you get in and out?

(I'll post pics when I can find my thumb-drive)
    I can fit through the horizontal poles on the side when I get in and out. On the sides is where two parts of the netting overlap so they pull back and leave a side able to open. Have not tried getting in and out with gear on but if it is too tight I can just pull the middle rail out and leave a bigger opening.

My next project is to use my sled and make a layout blind that will stay dry when I hunt in the wetter areas. But that will have to wait for another week or two

Nice job, thanks for sharing..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Banned

It might be interesting to pull the middle rail out so that a small duckboat could be inserted inside. Usually I just use tules to hide in and that is good enough for most low or middle flying ducks. Wise old Mallards know all the tricks and circle 80 yards overhead looking for any inconsistent pattern to the marsh landscape and do not like square. The Mallards motto is "If square, I'm not going to be there" By leaving out the side panels, the square look would be less and the wise old birds could not see a boat outline from above, which is often what they are looking for.

Found the pics

Based on Swamp Man's input, looks like I have more brushing to do.

The first pic is incomplete--there's a vertical support about half-way down the outside roof poles on each side.
    I also anchored mine with rebar stakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Found the pics

Based on Swamp Man's input, looks like I have more brushing to do.

The first pic is incomplete--there's a vertical support about half-way down the outside roof poles on each side.
    I also anchored mine with rebar stakes.
    I like that.. ..
    I plan to cut some brush and brush mine up a bit while hunting. Next week will be the first time out with it so it'll be a learning experience for the first time or two

Banned

This blind is hidden better than many square blinds, that's good. Unless fresh bush is changed as it drys it stands out like a sore thumb. One reason I don't use use it. A contest to see who has the most blended and hidden blind would be cool to see...Pics anyone? Now we are talkin' a Mallard blind of course. Widgeon will toll into decoys with a man standing out in the open in camo.