Thread: bear bait help needed

Default bear bait help needed

I have set up a bait for my first time and in less than two days it started getting hard hits. Dog food and syrup and a sprinkle or two of anise has trees layed over, bark chaffed off trees from the barrel chain, bear scat, scapes, etc.. I have spent considerable time on site and have yet to see anything tho. I have been out various times between 2 pm until 1030 pm. Do bears start to bed down when the temperature drops in the evening? I know they are nocturnal but what is the chance the bait is being hit during the dark hours only? I plan to get out by daybreak this weekend in hopes to catch them having breakfast. Will they be on some sort of consistent schedule when coming to the bait like each morning or evening or does it fluctuate? If I they are only hitting during non-shooting hours, how can I influence their behavior?

The first thing I would do would be to sit on stand all night. Try to be as quiet as you can, and hopefully a bear will stay untill there is just enough light to shoot. It could be that you're scaring the bears off during the times you get to or leave the stand, because those times seem to be when I see the most bear. Hope this helps.

-Eric

could be a morning feeder, take advantage of the daylight and sit overnight as suggested. sometimes it takes a little more than normal to get 'em.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would sit a little later than 10:30, I dont plan on seeing bears before 8:30 most nights with most coming in after 9pm.I usually sit from 7pm till 12pm-1am. Have killed quite a few after 11pm. It all depends on if the bears are stringing other baits in close proximity to you and or how far they are coming from, each time they visit your bait.

My first year of baiting I had the same problem. I then started sitting on the stand until 1am. Shot a 6'4" Boar at 11:45. My buddies stand produced at 2pm. Check the stand regularly to figure out what time it is gitting hit or maybe get one of the trail cameras with a timestamp.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default trail timer

The easiest way to do it is get a trail timer. I found a trail timer for 50 bucks that will record up too 500 trips. It's a very good investment for any bear baiter. I had the same problem you did last year. So I bought the timer and set it up. I checked it 5 days later and for 5 straight nights, that bear was coming in from 12:05a.m. to 12:45. I sat the bait and sure enough a black bear came walking in at 12:05. Go to this site for the timer http://archery-experts.stores.yahoo.net/lerimo500.html

Default Trail Camera

Trail cameras really help! They give you a picture of what is coming in and when. I just bought a cheap $40 one in case the bears decide to eat it. The 35mm cameras take really good pictures too! The camera answered alot of the questions that I had regarding the times and size & number of bears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It Sounds Like Your Bear Is Coming In Very Late At Night. Try To Stay Late Or Stay All Night.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Try hunting later

Most of my luck has come between 11Pm and 3Am. I got an un pleasant surprise a few years ago at about 1130 when I stirred my mait and turned around to see 3 blackies watching me. I had to E& E.

I've had bears wait for me to leave before they would come to the bait.

Every day when you go in to replenish, sing, hum, and talk to yourself all the way in, while at the site, then on the way out.

After 4 or 5 days of this take a buddy. Have him sing, hum, and talk to himself all the way in, at the site, then and as he leaves.

You of course, should quietly get into your stand.

Your buddy can just wait in the truck 'cause you will have your bear in 15 minutes.