Thread: Shuttle from Jim's Landing back to put-in Upper Kenai - Contact Information?

Default Shuttle from Jim's Landing back to put-in Upper Kenai - Contact Information?

Folks,

I've heard that there is someone who will shuttle from Jim's Landing back to the Upper Kenai put-in. Does anyone have a name/phone number for the shuttle? Planning on taking the big raft this coming weekend and would love to leave one of the vehicles at home. Many thanks.

You're probably looking for Max, a moderator on here. His web site is here: http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/

Check the link to the ak fishing forum

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/133970-Upper-Kenai-shuttle-service

Wildmans and Upstream River shuttle. I haven't used either one but have seen both of them driving around.
    Upstream charges $30 from Jim's back up to the kenai lake bridge

Max is a great guy, moderator here, and runs a campground near Sterling. He rents rafts with trailers and now drift boats as I am told. Solid dude. Reach him at ...

Alaska Canoe & campground
    35292 Sterling Hwy
    Sterling Alaska 99672
    907-262-2331
    alaskacanoe@yahoo.com

Dan

Many thanks folks. That give me a couple to check out. Again - many thanks.

Wildman's charges $45 for the bridge to Jim's shuttle (907)596-1456. I've used them many, many times and my truck is always at Jim's before the time I requested. $45 is way too much in my opinion, but it costs you that much to take a second vehicle. Some just hitch hike back. If you look like a boater another boater will probably stop & pick you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Some just hitch hike back. If you look like a boater another boater will probably stop & pick you up.
    Count me among those. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride, and 90% of the time the first vehicle by picks me up. I always return the favor when I see someone thumbing it on that stretch of highway. I've met some great people that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Count me among those. I've never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride, and 90% of the time the first vehicle by picks me up. I always return the favor when I see someone thumbing it on that stretch of highway. I've met some great people that way.
    Funny story about that from a solo float I did there many springs ago. I camped out on a gravel bar and brought along the old .458 Win. Mag. in case a bear gave me trouble. Kinda silly now that I think about it. At any rate when I got to Jim's, I hitched up my pack and started walking back to the pickup, which was parked at the Kenai Lake ramp. I must have walked halfway back with no luck getting picked up. How come nobody would stop? I couldn't figure it out. Rude people!

That's when I remembered that big bore sticking out of my pack. I ditched the pack and rifle in the brush and was picked up by the first guy who came along!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

A buddy of mine was reently talking about thumbing it. One of the first cars stopped and picked him up. About halfway through the ride he looked down and realized he still had his .44mag strapped to his chest. He chuckled thinking it was just another one of those "Only in Alaska" moments.

Do you folks prefer to have you truck shuttled from Cooper's Landing to Jim's Landing waiting for your - or to just leave your vehicle at Coopers and have a shuttle drive you from Jims back to your vehicle at Cooper - then of course I then drive my own truck back to Jim's?

I've always thumbed my way back unless we had two vehicles down there. I've always been curious to what your insurance company would say if a shuttle driver got in to an accident in your vehicle? Might be something to look into if you choose to use this type of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon77 View Post
    Do you folks prefer to have you truck shuttled from Cooper's Landing to Jim's Landing waiting for your - or to just leave your vehicle at Coopers and have a shuttle drive you from Jims back to your vehicle at Cooper - then of course I then drive my own truck back to Jim's?
    I mostly tumb as well. It works good as long as it's during the time when others are fishing. late sept-Oct gets harder. I think they always move the truck and have it there for you. They don't want to wait around not knowing for sure when you will be landing. Nice to then not have to leave your stuff to still go get your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    I've always thumbed my way back unless we had two vehicles down there. I've always been curious to what your insurance company would say if a shuttle driver got in to an accident in your vehicle? Might be something to look into if you choose to use this type of service.
    I was just talking to an insurance agent and was told that when you drive another persons car your insurance follows with you. I'm guessing Wildmans has good insurance.

Thanks, good info. If by chance the shuttle service parks your truck across the highway due to full lot at Jim's & you do not
    have a partner that day are the odds high that you might be missing something by the time you return (15 mins)? Any incidents?

I bought a scooter that I can load and unload out of the back of my truck by myself. I will Drop the boat off at the bridge, wife gets it ready, I drive to jims or to Skilak. Unload the scooter and ride back and lock it up. After the float I go back and pick the scooter up. Hopefully by next summer I will have build a nice ramp/bike rack on my raft trailer so it even easier. And btw I always stop into jims to see if anyone needs a ride, even when im not fishing that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cataraftak View Post
    Thanks, good info. If by chance the shuttle service parks your truck across the highway due to full lot at Jim's & you do not
    have a partner that day are the odds high that you might be missing something by the time you return (15 mins)? Any incidents?
    Sucks that there are thieves every where, but never hear a lot about that there. I always try make friendly with someone there that looks like they might be there awhile also and ask if they keep an eye out for you. It works.

Thanks, feeling a lot better about the situation.