Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk................!

Default Koyukuk................!

What....no Buzz about the Koyukuk this year........looked for something in the hunting threads also?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I tried "going down from the bridge" to include the Novi too. Ya, not many takers this year.

See you down there? We will be at the bridge the 12th. Decided against running the Tanana from Nenana with big heavy inboards just to be safe and sure. Some year, maybe we will drive the cars less and the boats more, we will see.

Plan to leave from the bridge on the 5th, maybe stopping at the Nowitna and then down to the Innoko......looks like a very long boat ride......!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I tried "going down from the bridge" to include the Novi too. Ya, not many takers this year.

See you down there? We will be at the bridge the 12th. Decided against running the Tanana from Nenana with big heavy inboards just to be safe and sure. Some year, maybe we will drive the cars less and the boats more, we will see.
    All things go well, I'll be at the bridge on the evening of the 12th. Will be hunting DM830. Will be 4 of us this year...

If I can work out the bugs, you'll see a post on our 2011 trip... Epic.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    All things go well, I'll be at the bridge on the evening of the 12th. Will be hunting DM830. Will be 4 of us this year...

We will be in a Duckworth Magnum and a Wooldridge Xtra Plus. Maybe we will see you there. What are you running in. We would love to be on the river the evening of the 12th and gas up at Tanana early the 13th to be at the Novi by the afternoon. It has not happened yet, but we always try it that way.

Just to clarify, you are talking about the bridge over the Yukon River right? That's where you put in at? Then you go down river to a right turn into the Koyukuk and up that river for an awesome moose hunt and possibly some killer pike fishing. Is that correct? This is a hunt that I have always wanted to do and now that I have this Phantom jetboat, it looks like it could possibly happen next year.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Yes Bob, unless you take a left at the Nowitna instead of course. Next year?? You have the Phantom now, what are you waiting for??

Will be at the Bridge on the 13th. Headed for the Koyukuk.

How much gas are you taking from the bridge? We have done it two ways. Take as much gas as the boat will put up and stay on step while out of the secondaries most of the time on our way down to Tanana. Or, Take much less gas to Tanana as is practical and the boats don't have to run so hard. I am not sure we save enough fuel running that heavy to justify the savings at the pump in Tanana.

Then, fill up super heavy in Tanana for the run to the Nowitna since we don't have much of a choice for refueling and we don't want to stash gas just to be stolen later. The problem with filling up in Tanana has been the expense of the gas and the quality of the gas. We are bringing a case of octane boost this year just for that.

How much gas are you taking from the bridge? We have done it two ways. Take as much gas as the boat will put up and stay on step while out of the secondaries most of the time on our way down to Tanana. Or, Take much less gas to Tanana as is practical and the boats don't have to run so hard. I am not sure we save enough fuel running that heavy to justify the savings at the pump in Tanana.

Then, fill up super heavy in Tanana for the run to the Nowitna since we don't have much of a choice for refueling and we don't want to stash gas just to be stolen later. The problem with filling up in Tanana has been the expense of the gas and the quality of the gas. We are bringing a case of octane boost this year just for that.
    Gas is running $6.39 a gallon at Tanana, Nulato is $5.90, I think 6 bucks at Kaltag, but then you aren't running that far, my tanks hold 80 and I may take two 15's, planning on using 120 gallons one way depending on how far up the Novi we go. Coming back will be 150 gallons. Will know more precisely in 3 weeks or so....!
    TR

I've seen the Tanana gas fill two Racor water separators, so be sure you keep an eye on that, or prefilter your fuel storage.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanwheeler View Post
    I've seen the Tanana gas fill two Racor water separators, so be sure you keep an eye on that, or prefilter your fuel storage.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm think Mr Funnel, anyone use one of those?
    TR

Some guys have all the fun.....
    I need to get up there on one of your adventures some day. Nothing like a Canadian along to be the life of the party. Eh.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Some guys have all the fun.....
    I need to get up there on one of your adventures some day. Nothing like a Canadian along to be the life of the party. Eh.
    Heck man, what are ye waiting for? you can leave on monday and still beat us to the bridge.......
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I'm think Mr Funnel, anyone use one of those?
    Yes,, everything I buy on the river goes through one before going into the boat or my cans.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

all our gas is filtered twice. Once out of the can into the main tank and then the mainline filter before the motor. Both of these filters are usually emptied several times before we get back.

We are trying to go way up the Nowitna this year just because. So, we are bringing a ton of gas. Like 200gal from Tanana to make it up the Novi and back to Tanana. About 100 miles one way Tanana to the mouth then maybe 80-100 miles up the river. So over 400 miles round trip between fuel stops. Getting about 2-3 MPG at cruise speeds downstream of 30+ MPH. Running inboard jets because that is what we have and they will be well suited to the upper river we think.

We will be heading up the Koy-river leaving the bridge on the 8th. I heard it has cooled down into the twentys at night up there and the water is really low this year. Could make for a real interesting year.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Yes,, everything I buy on the river goes through one before going into the boat or my cans.
    I do the same thing plus the Racor in the boat. So far, so good. Haven't had a problem yet.

Have a great trip wish I was going, stuck in the Stan until the 25th maybe next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

all our gas is filtered twice. Once out of the can into the main tank and then the mainline filter before the motor. Both of these filters are usually emptied several times before we get back.

We are trying to go way up the Nowitna this year just because. So, we are bringing a ton of gas. Like 200gal from Tanana to make it up the Novi and back to Tanana. About 100 miles one way Tanana to the mouth then maybe 80-100 miles up the river. So over 400 miles round trip between fuel stops. Getting about 2-3 MPG at cruise speeds downstream of 30+ MPH. Running inboard jets because that is what we have and they will be well suited to the upper river we think.
    Daved, is the Novi past the Little Mud? Did that run in 2011 from Nenanna. According to my log it was 80 miles from Tananna to the Nowitna check point and 90 gps miles to the Little mud if that helps. We went 25 miles up the little mud before stopping to hunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast