Thread: Butte Creek has changed

Default Butte Creek has changed

WARNING!!!
    This post is for anyone who uses or knows someone who uses the Butte Creek Trail off the Denali Hwy. The crossing at Butte Creek has changed since the flooding last fall. There is now a very deep hole near the far bank & at least 3 ATV/UTV's have been swept away over this last weekend. Please spread the word if you know anyone who uses that trail before a tragedy happens. One fellow nearly drowned already.

Thanks for posting the warning. I will be donning a life jacket before crossing some rivers or creeks...couldn't hurt to bring one along just in case the crossing looks iffy. I feel that it's better to be safe than sorry. Hunting gear & wheelers can be replaced...lives can not.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Did you try the upstream crossing? Or did you just go straight across?
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Is Butte Creek in 13B ?

It flows across the Denali Hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Is Butte Creek in 13B ?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Is Butte Creek in 13B ?
    Its in 13E

My neighbor Phil died attempting to cross Butte Creek earlier this summer, RIP. Everyone be careful this fall. Good luck and god speed.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

We just went across Butte Creek on Sunday for the first time. We were driving in a couple Rangers. My buddy crossed first at the main trail and he had to go up river in the main current to reach the far landing. Very sketchy! I drove up the creek out of the main current to the gravel bar above and then came down in the main current to the landing without any issue. On the way back, we ran into a couple on a Ranger 6X6 who informed us of the up stream trails for avoiding crossing against the current. If you are on here, thanks again for the advice!

Thanks for the update. How far upstream are you talking.

The main trail crossing is just over a mile upstream from its confluence with the Susitna.

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    My neighbor Phil died attempting to cross Butte Creek earlier this summer, RIP. Everyone be careful this fall. Good luck and god speed.
    Sorry to hear about your neighbor. My buddy and I were with Claude (Alpine Creek Lodge) out on snowmachines middle of April looking for your neighbors rigs (and bears) which he left in the back country during the fall floods of 2012. I have crossed the Butte for about 10 years an NEVER worried about rain, water levels, nothing, it was just a "creek." Between Sept 2012 and June 2012, the Butte has claimed two lives and countless other close calls in the last year. In a swollen river life vests are just for body recovery. If you have a life vest you might "risk" the crossing. I say leave the life vest at home and don't cross. If you do decide to cross any water that is questionable, here are a couple of observations from my own experience. Don't wear a seat belt, take any doors or side netting off your rig so you have easy escape, and put any type of emergency communication device that you have on your person in a water tight bag or container. Sucks when your sat phone is on your rig floating down the river.

My hunting partner bailed on me and I am planning on taking my Ranger in the Butte Creek Trail on the 5th but am wary to do the crossing alone. Is there anyone else that have plans on going in the trail on the 5th? If so, would you mind tag teaming the crossing? I have done the crossing before, but always prefer to do it in numbers in case of issues. I am not a risk taker and will changes my plans in a heartbeat if there is high water; that Creek has claimed too many before. Please PM me if you are heading back around that time. Thanks!