Thread: Guiding requirements

Default Guiding requirements

I live in Wisconsin. My brother lives in Alaska. I have drawn a moose permit. I bought a grizzly game tag in case I see a nice bear. I understand that I can also use that game tag for a moose.

Now for the question: I need my brother to be my "guide". What does that mean? Does he have to be by my side every second?

Since I have a moose tag, I assume that I can legally hunt off on my own if needed. But if we are separated, I just can't shoot a bear.

Does that sound right?
    Any other advice/thoughts?

You can only take one moose,permit or tag not both. Yes he needs to be with you when bear taken.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You can only take one moose,permit or tag not both. ...
    I think I understand but... I won a draw permit. I assumed that just gave me the right to buy a tag.

I bought a bear tag so I could pick either a bear or a moose while I am out in the field.

Did I understand correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by mad_angler View Post
    I think I understand but... I won a draw permit. I assumed that just gave me the right to buy a tag.

I bought a bear tag so I could pick either a bear or a moose while I am out in the field.

Did I understand correctly?
    Non residents need a metal locking "tag" in addition to the "harvest ticket". If the locking "tag" isn't sent to you with the drawing permit, you'll have to pick one up when you get here. Since the permit cost you $5 to draw, I'm sure you have to dump $400 for the "tag". I'd check with F&G about the tag - since you already got the permit, I'm not sure if its ok to get it anywhere licenses are sold, or if a trip to F&G is called for.
    Your brother needs to be in close proximity while you are bear hunting. Him being in the tent 1/4 mile away would probably not satisfy any troopers that checked you. To get a definitive answer, call a trooper based in the area you will be hunting. Note his name and keep it with you. Troopers enforce the laws and are a much better resource for questions regarding laws than F&G.