Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age this ram

Default Age this ram

I had him at 8 and right at full curl when I applied 3lbs of pressure to the trigger after an hour of careful observation through a 60x swaro spotter from 239 yards. Sheep is sealed and legal but I am curious what the Internet experts think.

Not the best lines up pic but it passes the PVC test with a tiny sliver of horn to spare. I sure was hoping for a no-brainer but this is the only legal sheep we found that wasn't already ambient temperature next to a tent.

8 years by my count, though I'd like to see a view from the back.

Left horn

Right horn

Sticking with 8 on my guess. F&G aged him at 7, right?

7 or 8

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Got him at 8 1/2 lol

7.... Simply because I doubt f&g counted that ring closest to the skull

8 years old and a skosh short of full curl. The angle you show has his horns shaped more like an egg than a complete 360 circle. Sounds like you were comfortable counting rings and got close enough with the right equipment to be sure. Congrats on your first ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Got him at 8 1/2 lol
    Nice try...I'm thinking 8.372738372 as it was born on April 27th making it that age if shot on the date I believe it was taken One thing with aging sheep with LuJon is to never give him a whole number...the more places you can carry out the age to the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Nice try...I'm thinking 8.372738372 as it was born on April 27th making it that age if shot on the date I believe it was taken One thing with aging sheep with LuJon is to never give him a whole number...the more places you can carry out the age to the better.
    Lol! If I didn't hate sheep hunting alone I wouldn't put up with these jokers!

My "hold it with my foot while taking a picture with the iPhon system doesn't show the curl accurately along the axis. With it propped up at the correct angle it does pass the FC pipe test. If it didn't it would be in trooper custody pending a court date instead of sitting in my shop with a shiny plug in its right horn!

Yes Brian, F&G called it 7 and right at FC. Oddly enough they counted the ring by the base but gave it a really long second year. I shot it because I was confident that it was 8 and full curl based on an hour of observation through a swaro spotter on 60x inside 250 yards. The right horn is short of FC by 1/2" and of course that was the side it showed 95% of the time. A couple very good looks at the left gave me the FC insurance to pull the trigger.

Needless to say when they wrote that 7 on the sealing documentation my 4th point of contact puckered!! I wouldn't have harvested this ram based on only FC or 8 alone simply because of the lack of consistency with the sealing process.

7 maybe 8. It's hard to see the annuli as you get closer to the tip in those pictures.

Brett

Looks about like a carbon copy of my ram I shot a few years ago.

We watched mine for along time too.

I know what you mean by the sealing process when you got a close one!

They aged mine at 9 though.

This is why my TMA permit went uncut. Too many "is he or ain't he" rams at too far a distance to tell age.

It was much harder than I thought it would be to judge rams. You watch them for hours and they only give you the perfect look for a half second. Having a dozen 7/8 or 15/16 curl rams all milling about and knowing that some are probably FC if only they turned their head just a little more.

8 1/2 is what I see.

9 1/2 Would be my guess

From these pics that is a close one.. I spent a few hours studying my ram at 350 yards with a much cheaper spotter. It took a long time before we got that perfect view on his right side and were able to confirm full curl. We guessed 7 or 8 but were not sure. Once we finally saw the furl curl we were good to go. Within 30 seconds of confirmation lead was going downrange. : ) Based solely on the angles of your pic I would have to wait until I saw a slightly different angle before I shot.

Glad you were able to get that angle and make a legal kill. Congrats on a ram. What did they measure each side at?

This ram is easy to age when it's in your hands. I told you it was 7 at the strip and pointed out why it was. The pictures don't show it well at all but the ring at the base goes all the way around in the back and is in fact a solid age ring.

I think you're getting hung up on that second bump between the lamb tip and the 2nd year band. The second year, when in your hands, is easy to find. It's a band more than it is a ring. So once you find that band, you know there is only one year left, it's first year. It's not going to have two bumps.

Also looking at the length of each segment, that second bump doesn't make sense either. Each segment is getting bigger as you come away from the base. If the bump you think is 7 is an age "ring" then your segments all the sudden get smaller and that doesn't make sense.

Can you draw which annuli they did count? Did they count both those right next to skull or just 1

Yup, 7 for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast