Thread: Need gear for a big teenager, first time hunter

Default Need gear for a big teenager, first time hunter

I'm taking my 16 year old nephew for a hunting trip. I think he could use some good woods time and time with an adult male role model

His quasi step dad was supposed to loan him some gear but pretty much dropped the ball and he left state.

This is a big kid I'm dealing with. He skinny as a rail but is probably 6'2 and wears a size 13 boot.

He basically needs hiking boots and clothes and rain gear. His mom says he has some camo stuff but who knows what that means. I suspect camo cotton stuff from Walmart.

I just retuned home and learned all this and we are leaving the 5th of September.

Can any one help with some decent clothes? I need everything from socks, long johns, and outerwear.

We will be hiking in. So stuff that can be layered would be ideal. Can't really have him running around on the tundra sweating to death wearing grundens.

He's really excited about this and I want to make it a good trip for him. Step 1 is making sure he isn't miserable.

I'm pretty broke at the moment otherwise I'd buy him the stuff. I'm in eagle river and am willing to drive to anchorage or the valley.

We can certainly return anything as well too. This doesn't need to be a permanent handout. Just get him outfitted for a week

Thanks all!

What are you hunting for, Matt? Do you have a sleeping bag for him? Anything other than clothes that you need? I've got gear I could offer, but at 6'0" I'm not sure if my stuff would stretch enough to meet his needs. I'd be willing to meet you to see, though. It's not camo gear and not perfectly ideal colors, but I might have a few things to throw your way if nothing better turns up.

We are gonna go caribou hunting. I have the dc482 tag.

I have a sleeping bag and pad for him. He might have to scrunch down in it a bit.

He has a backpack, his mom days its a big one so I'm hoping its a decent one. She says that the camo gear stuff was expensive.

I don't really care about colors. I just need him in synthetics and decent boots .

A pair of binocs would be nice too.

I've got no boots to offer - I'm only a size 9. I have some synthetic jackets (and maybe a pair of pants) I'd be happy to loan, but they're all L instead of XL, which I assume would be a better fit for him. Let me know if you don't find anything else and we'll see if we can make it work.

I can probably do some binos that week too. I'll need them this weekend and the weekend after you go, but not that week. They're a little foggy in one eye, but better than nothing.

I am sure I have some clothing that he can use, boots may be another story, but I will look things over. I am 6'3" and wear 13W in boots. What is his waist size?

I will PM you with my phone#.

Matt, I also cannot help with boots (size 13 and he's 16?!?!?!? WOW), but I have a variety of XL and XXL synthetics for both base and outer layers. Let me know what you may need.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

You can try my old Kenetreks. They are to beaten for me to use on mountain hunts but still keep the water out and beat the heck out of any cheap boots on their worst day. I'm a 12.5, think the boots are 13s if I recall correctly. Pretty sure the size tag is worn off.

**** edit*** just checked they are 12s but may fit. You are welcome to use em if they do. I wear a 13 in many shoes so they may fit.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I have found enough clothes. Lujon I'll get ahold if those boots from ya and see if they will fit him. Thanks!

Matt, if the boots from Lujon do not work out, I have a pair of leather Merrells that he is welcome to have. They are size 13.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

PM sent. Lemme know.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Matt, I'm 6'6" so I have some gear that would probably fit him. Couple pair of Danner Gortex boots size 13, GI base layers and I have a long sleeping bag that may fit him better. I'm in Eagle River too, so shoot me a message if you want to stop by
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk?” --Jack Handy