Thread: Locations

Default Locations

My dad is coming up to visit in August and wants to go gold panning. Last time he was here we did the Indian Valley pay/learn to gold pan thing. He would like to go out and try it on his own. I have no idea where to take him. Any suggestions of a decent place to try out gold panning? I would really appreciate any help in making his trip worthwhile!

Going south some good bets are Crow Creek Mine and all of the Turnagain Pass creeks.
    North you have Independence Mine (excellent self-guided tour) and the Petersville Road area (4wd).
    Go to www.akmining.com and follow the mining links to the recreational prospecting section. Lots of info there.

Default Hope

Hope was one of the first places that started the Gold Rush, Alaska Mining & Diving has some good books. With a little walking there are some good spots, Willow Creek.
    Even some old mines out of Whittier, I would love to go put to and plan on exploring them this summer.
    Would like to read more about the history of these mines, some where huge with 2 mile aqua-ducts an 12 foot dia water wheels, even seen dreadge buckets and old dump trucks. So neet of area.
    Watch open seat form if I don't have some to go with maybe I'll post a trip.

We spent three days at the Petersville recreational gold mining site several years ago. It was a lot of fun learning to pan and use a sluice and suction dredge. Camping nearby is available and the area is clearly posted.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lab-Lady View Post
    My dad is coming up to visit in August and wants to go gold panning. Last time he was here we did the Indian Valley pay/learn to gold pan thing. He would like to go out and try it on his own. I have no idea where to take him. Any suggestions of a decent place to try out gold panning? I would really appreciate any help in making his trip worthwhile!
    Bertha Creek in Turnagain Pass, about mid-way to Seward. We used to do fairly good there. It is open to public, recreational mining, within 1/4 mile of the Seward Highway. Try upstream of the highway, on the north side. You'll see where everybody has been digging. You won't get rich, but gold is pretty much guaranteed if you make any kind of effort at all. And....right across the highway there is a campground with "facilities" and drinking water: Bertha Creek Campground...pretty good deal if you want to camp out. And...you can stop at "Big Game Alaska" on the way there to show him all the bears, moose, and other game animals they have roaming the place...pretty neat. Bring a camera. Good luck!

Marshall