Thread: We beat the odds!!! (caribou)

Default We beat the odds!!! (caribou)

My husband, father-in-law, and I traveled up to the Denali Hwy to fill our DC482 tags on Thursday night. We got in late Thursday night and were out in the Clearwater Creek CUA by 6am Friday morning. Spent most of the morning glassing hillsides until we saw a group of 6-8 cows and small bulls high up, a couple miles from us. We thought we saw a glimpse of a big bull, but we couldn't be sure. We traveled past them in the direction they were headed, in hopes of interception. Once there, we climbed up to a high vantage point. No less than 5 minutes later, 5 caribou crested the ridge line, with a massive bull in the mix. My father-in-law and I took off to intercept for a closer shot, while my husband hung back in case they traveled to where we were sitting. After several up-downs on small ridges, we popped over a ridge to see the massive bull and his two cows. The cows spooked and the bull gave us a nice broadside shot. I got a shot off and my father-in-law provided back-up. The caribou dropped quickly and it was official! Cleaned it and packed it out in one trip. It was a hard stalk but fast. My first caribou, so I'm thrilled. Hoping to make it a shoulder mount. We kept hunting the next two days, and only saw a few cows and occasional small bulls at a great distance. It was nice that we were able to get such a nice bull when the herd was so sparse.

DSCN0370.jpg
    Do something brave... Then run like hell!

Quote Originally Posted by teach-ak View Post
    My husband, father-in-law, and I traveled up to the Denali Hwy to fill our DC482 tags on Thursday night. We got in late Thursday night and were out in the Clearwater Creek CUA by 6am Friday morning. Spent most of the morning glassing hillsides until we saw a group of 6-8 cows and small bulls high up, a couple miles from us. We thought we saw a glimpse of a big bull, but we couldn't be sure. We traveled past them in the direction they were headed, in hopes of interception. Once there, we climbed up to a high vantage point. No less than 5 minutes later, 5 caribou crested the ridge line, with a massive bull in the mix. My father-in-law and I took off to intercept for a closer shot, while my husband hung back in case they traveled to where we were sitting. After several up-downs on small ridges, we popped over a ridge to see the massive bull and his two cows. The cows spooked and the bull gave us a nice broadside shot. I got a shot off and my father-in-law provided back-up. The caribou dropped quickly and it was official! Cleaned it and packed it out in one trip. It was a hard stalk but fast. My first caribou, so I'm thrilled. Hoping to make it a shoulder mount. We kept hunting the next two days, and only saw a few cows and occasional small bulls at a great distance. It was nice that we were able to get such a nice bull when the herd was so sparse.

DSCN0370.jpg
    Loved the story and congrats on the hunt! My husband has the same permit and hopefully we too can be as successful.

Good job!

Musta had alotta fat
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nice Bull, congratulations

Very nice bull, need to make that trip. That's the one that I want the most just need to get work outa the way

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Good job!

Musta had alotta fat
    At the time we wished he had alot of fat. I just gave the ol' puppy dog eyes and my husband and father-in-law melted giving me the lightest pack. Each of their packs probably weighed 180-200lbs and I was left with around 110lbs (still pretty good for a 5'2" frame )
    Do something brave... Then run like hell!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!

"puppy dog eyes"....

You can be sure I'll be serving a helping of that to my moose-hunting partner in a couple weeks!

Fine job on a great caribou. Enjoy the steaks!

Heck of a nice caribou Teach!
    Congrats to you guys.
    BK

Love the top points on that guy. Congratulations!

Nice bou! Congrats on a successful hunt!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Well done, congratulations.

Congrats indeed. I like to say dang I left my nitro pills in the tent.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Fantastic!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Nice job! Very nice caribou!

Awesome bull, love to see the wives out and getting it done.

Very nice Bull - well done!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....